Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graduation, The Final Stretch  (Read 1139 times)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graduation, The Final Stretch
« on: November 22, 2016, 03:37:09 am »

I'm graduating next month. This will be my second degree. I'm graduating with my Bachelor's in Nursing. It was a long, hard, tortuous journey filled with many clinical hours and countless weekends.

Some context: I graduated high school in 2009 and started college that very same Fall. I did all my pre-requisites to get into a nursing program which took me a couple of years. I had a 3.7 GPA, unfortunately, I wasn't accepted into the school I was currently in. Naturally, I went through a period of depression but I pushed on through and applied elsewhere. I got into a nursing Associate's program a little way away. After many hours of being in class, studying and being stuck in traffic, I graduated from that Associate's program.

I applied for a job at a local hospital and was hired. I worked on the cardiopulmonary unit for almost two years. At this point, I am both working and going back to school at my first college, the one that initially rejected me. I got into their program and I'm closing in on the graduating date.

Fast forward to today. I got my cap, gown and what-not. I was ecstatic. I came home, laid out my outfit and decided to show my parents. Their reaction? They seemed indifferent, frustrated even. I later learned that my youngest sister had decided to spend Thanksgiving weekend at her boyfriend's house and took off today. While I understand them being frustrated by that, being indifferent toward such an important achievement makes me feel.... dispirited.

This was such an achievement for me, I just thought everyone would share in my delight. I guess that wasn't the case. I know this is just me venting more than anything else but I definitely would appreciate some advice getting through the final stretch. Exams are two-three weeks away and I'm feeling colorless.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Graduation, The Final Stretch
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:44:12 am »

Congratulations!  Seriously, much respect, you deserve to be proud of yourself.  Not much to give in terms of advice, just good luck and best wishes for all the stuff to follow.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 11:32:04 pm »

Congratulations! It sounds like you worked hard to get where you are now. I expect you will do well on your exams, so don't let worry get to you too badly. Sadly, I suspect that your upcoming success and future successes will be met with less and less fanfare each time. You sound like you are doing well, and your friends and family may simply think that success is an ordinary and normal part of your life now.

In all relationship matters, honesty is the only cure no matter how awkward it may be. You will have to tell your parents that you were saddened by their lack of celebration or else it will happen again in the future. I wish you luck, and happiness, and good health.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 05:08:19 pm »

Congratulations! College is very hard and sometimes unforgiving I hear. Just take joy and pride of it! All those late nights studying, all the stuff that goes along with it and college are a huge thing to add on your 'I did this, I worked hard, and I could've easily quit but I did it anyway' list. Try to spread your happiness to your relatives, and maybe they'll share your joy. This is coming from a person who thinks attitudinal vibrations/adjustments in given situations can help things go better. So, just let them know your happy about it! I'm sure you can get it across to them. I also wish you the same as coaldiamond.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 01:00:56 pm »

Congratulations!

Also, what everyone else said!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 02:15:33 pm »

Congratulations! You did an amazing fuckin' job and you should be super proud of your achievements. Good luck with everything that follows, my friend.