Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Fuck you Microsoft  (Read 19106 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck you Microsoft
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2016, 01:16:14 pm »

Can we mention the whole thing about limited active hours? Thats a big Fuck You right there.

What's this?
You can only set a 12-hour block when you're 'using your computer' and Windows won't randomly decide to update.
The easiest way to fix this is just to set the connection you're using as throttled; IIRC, winaerotweaker can do this for ethernet connections as well as the default wifi connections (or you can crack open the registry). Then it will only update when you tell it to, as opposed to downloading updates and installing them on its own.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2016, 07:12:16 pm »

Edit: Oh, and in the spirit of Life Advice... Linux, unless you want to play Windows only games. Try Linux Mint, can be installed and configured without ever even opening the terminal.
Or Debian.
Advantage: installing whatever  can be installed at all very rarely will be a problem. Because its package manager's format is popular, and there are big third-party software repositories for it, like PlayDeb.  You can also use Ubuntu repositories for non-free stuff (i.e. media codecs), since it's a derivative and very compatible, though the trade-off is that versions lag behind.
If you want windows for games, may as well leave a partition with XP or something, dual boot is not a problem, since you are installing GRUB with Linux anyway.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2016, 05:17:39 pm »

and for packages that dont have binaries, source repos will autobuild in many cases, as opposed to having to manually build from a tarball.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2016, 08:55:41 pm »

Oh a hate thread, finally.
I would like to fuck Microsoft for devouring my childhood dream job of working within Rareware.
They shit on everything! Look at Nokia!
Yes, yes i am that old
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2016, 10:22:26 pm »

Hate over Rare is misdirected.  They did it to themselves. MS just bought up the corpse.

Likewise with Nokia.

As for what they did with those corpses?  See my prior post; MS has this problem with cargo cult ritualism.  The stilted shudderings of old corpses does not return them to life.  The life inside Rare and Nokia died years ago when greed overcame love.  Inspiration is born of love, not profit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2016, 05:05:46 am »

Related to the Microsoft account thing: Even though I disabled it, apparently it runs Xbox live something something in the background. No idea why I've never had an Xbox, or had the intention to own a Xbox. CS:GO threw me a detection warning and linked me this site. I thought I'd share, helpful info inside.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6239-DZCB-8600
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2016, 11:23:02 am »

My mother's laptop just nearly got bricked by an automatic update.
And (dumb) people said that wouldn't happen! Not surprised.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2016, 12:48:18 pm »

When device firmwares get updated by the same mechanism as device drivers, and that mechanism simply cant figure out if devices are fully compatible, bricking is inevitable.

Not a question of IF, but WHEN.

Sometimes the user really does know better, Mother Microsoft.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2016, 01:20:52 pm »

You actually can stop updates by disabling the update service, though of course that means that you also don't get security updates and so on.

If you're running Win10 on a laptop, you can set your wifi connection as metered to stop a lot of the updates (including stuff for drivers and software).

If you're lucky enough to not be using Home edition, you can use the group policy editor to force Win10 to conform to old update standards, namely by notifying you when updates are available but only downloading and installing if you do so manually.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2016, 02:11:31 pm »

group policies, like you just mentioned, were purposefully crippled on home edition, BECAUSE you could do that.

microsoft thinks so little of home users that they put handcuffs on them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2016, 03:03:45 pm »

Yeah I know, it's fucking stupid.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2016, 04:01:56 pm »

group policies, like you just mentioned, were purposefully crippled on home edition, BECAUSE you could do that.

microsoft thinks so little of home users that they put handcuffs on them.
This just makes it even more stupid.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2016, 06:13:29 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:39:04 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2016, 09:15:15 pm »

Proprietary IP, And DRM already prevent farmers from repairing their own tractors like they used to.

Old people like us (truean) remember when they gave you the circuit diagrams when you bought a computer, right there in the box.  As such, we have been watching the slide for some time. However, when we try to draw attention to the issue, we get called paranoid chicken littles and worse.

To me, the real heart of the issue is two simple factors.

1) people don't have the time or aptitude to maintain their own systems, or learn how to REALLY use those systems.

2) there is money to be made (or lost) by the existence of item 1), and capitalist systems strive to extract every red cent of value on every transaction.

The derision and abuse of end users, the evolution of software as a service, even cloud computing and ride sharing services are all manifestations of a feedback loop of these two items, as they influence the marketplace.

Essentially, the less time or inclination that the average consumer has, the more value there is in providing a service.  People don't have time to cook, or can't cook because they never learned? There's catering, frozen dinners, and fast food. People don't have time to maintain a vehicle, but must travel to work? Uber and pals to the rescue.  Need big data storage on the net, but don't know how, or can't afford the pipes to host it yourself? Cloud storage is here to do it for you-- for a fee.

Always for a fee.

The thing is, the more you cede over such control, the more the providers control the market, and the less and less say the customer has in the matter. Especially when it is something you cannot do without.

The more that relationship tips, the less and less inclined the service providers are to let it tip back the other way. They add completely unnessesary features to prevent you from doing the service yourself, then later, lobby for laws to prevent you from doing those services yourself, to make it so you can only get that service from THEM.

See for instance, Yellow Cab in NewYork. See how they have manipulated carriage service law there, to where upstart services are illegal?  There is simply not enough real estate in NYC for everyone living there to drive a car, but the city is huge. Carriage service is essential to the city.  Patron wishes don't matter. The necessity of Yellow Cab is all Yellow Cab cares about, because they make lots of money on terms they can dictate. Enter Uber. Yellow Cab goes nuclear with the lawsuits. Why? Uber is "stealing" rides, and isn't "obeying the rules" (established via lobby by yellow cab, for yellow cab). Not saying Uber is better, no way, just pointing out how entrenched service providers actively seek to terminate any behavior that makes them less essential.

Now, let's move to ISPs.

These provide internet service, and there is only so much easement to go around for utilities.  Municipal and state govts don't have the inclination to properly manage these services, so they subcontract it out. The service providers know competition makes them less essential, so they only agree to provide those services if they get exclusivity. Naturally, they get it, because the govt can't provide the service itself, and must assure it is available.

Fast-forward a decade. Cities are dissatisfied with the abusive relationship these ISPs embody, so they seek to offer the service themselves. Municipal Broadband projects are a hot, controversial topic for this reason. The ISPs trot out their exclusivity agreement, point out that they ARE providing service, however terrible and profiteering oriented it is, and tells the city that it cannot provide its own service, OR grant another, upstart ISP access to the public easements.  That right there is the #1 reason why internet in the US is terrible, and only available in big cities with lots of residents to fleece, and not out in rural areas, despite the tech being available.

Now, we have ordinary appliances being aggressively re-engineered to require manufacturer certified repair, enforced by power of law, under the pretext of consumer safety.  The reality is that your fridge does not need to track how much milk you have left, or how often you buy it. It does not need to order more milk for you when you run out. It does not need your financial or personal details.

An yet, "smart fridge" does all if those things!

People mistakenly believe that smartfridge is better than dumbfridge, rush out and buy them. But what of the repair guy? He now has to get certified by smart fridge co. In order to legally open the back of the smartfridge, because improper service can harm the consumer. Getting that cert is hard and expensive. It makes the appliance repair guy have to increase his fees. Smartfridge co. Responds by offering extended factory service plans far below repairman's costs. That puts repairman out of business, and makes smartfridge co essential, because now when dumbfridge needs service, you can't get it. What's that, nobody makes dumb fridges anymore? Guess you need to buy a new Smartfridge, even if you don't want all that extra shit! Know what else, as dumbfridge gets booted from the market, smartfridge gets more needy, and now won't even power on and keep your food cold without you name, address, access to the internet, and your credit card. Know what calling customer support gets you? Nothing.

Now, some enterprising people will try to fix their smartfridge themselves, but guess what! Smartfridge talks to a proprietary server infrastructure, and trying to learn ANYTHING about that server or the messages that smartfridge us sending to it is a violation if federal antihacking laws! Lobbied for by smartfridge and other companies selling smart products. Nope, you have no choice now but to fork over a monthly fee to smartfridge for the service of having a working refrigerator. Forever.

Know what that means? It means you have to work more to get more money, negating the gains you may have gotten from the smartfridge doing your shopping for you. Now you really don't have time to go shopping, because you have another job, and now further need smartfridge to deliver food to you.

SO CONVENIENT!

See how one thing leads to another?

"Convenience" never gets you more time to spend for yourself. NEVER. What it dies cost you is money, which you get by selling your time.

The winning move us to say NO early in this cycle if abuse, and refuse to adopt or allow the provider to become essential.

The problem, is that this knowing obstinance is perceived by the young as being backward.

The attempts to derail the cycle through regulation via govt only works when citizen needs get priority over lobbyist money.  When greed is good(tm), that never happens though. (Thanks Reagan!)

No. The consumer has to put their foot down, and demand. Demand early, demand often, demand with informed mind.

But it takes time to be informed, and not everyone has it so....

All because if those two simple bulleted things.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2016, 06:47:20 am »

+1
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10