Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Fuck you Microsoft  (Read 19107 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck you Microsoft
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »

Can we get back to hating on MS and leave the tired old piracy debate in the ditch where it belongs?

I think the above post means "no".
The above post doesn't exactly have much to argue about though. Its much better written than I'd have done.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2016, 02:56:12 pm »

Barring any further questions that need more context to answer, I have nothing further to say on the matter.  I feel it is very cut and dry.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2016, 05:28:42 pm »

Good news, everyone!

Windows 10, version 1607, provides administrators with increased control over updates by changing the update deferral increment from weeks to days. Other changes:

Quality Updates can be deferred up to 30 days and paused for 35 days
    Feature Updates can be deferred up to 180 days and paused for 60 days
    Update deferrals can be applied to both Current Branch (CB) and Current Branch for Business (CBB)
    Drivers can be excluded from udpates[sic]

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2016, 06:03:15 pm »

Does it require win10 enterprise edition, or has MS stopped being idiots about home?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2016, 06:37:15 pm »

Didn't specify, but fingers crossed since some (but not all) of the other sections did specify.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2016, 06:47:16 pm »

maybe they really will honor not forcing broken drivers downstream, but i doubt it. ms seems to be of the opinion that home users cant make that decision themselves, and ms to make it for them. 

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2016, 06:58:10 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:50:30 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2016, 07:11:14 pm »

Okay I'm gonna have to disagree with that. I don't know what bee got in your IT guy's bonnet, and while he might have even had a tiny sliver of ground to stand on for the first month or so after 10 came out, whatever he believed is simply false at this point.

Yes, Windows 10 takes a bit extra work after installation to get it running smooth, but at this point my Windows 10 machine actually runs way better than it ever did under 7, with only minimal UI changes to show for it (since I disabled the snoopy things/etc. in the first half hour after installation). Yes, it will require an extra 30 minutes of setup when you first run it to disable/alter some of the more questionable defaults, but that is by no means a strike against how it runs afterwards. Are there still some problems? Yes there are, but 7 certainly has issues still too. And worse than vista? As if. From my personal experiences it's neck and neck with 7 right now once you get past the first 30 minutes after installation (which is less time than it'll take you to finish installing the programs you regularly use), with the previously free 6 extra years of support due to 10's younger age definitely helping tip scales in it's favor.

Course if you've waited this long then the question is kinda moot now since you managed to outlast the duration of the free upgrade offer regardless; now it would cost the standard $100+ to upgrade, which is definitely a good reason to never upgrade windows at all, regardless of how good/bad the newer versions may be.

(Yes, I realize this is the hate microsoft thread, but when you start posting things that aren't necessarily true [and aren't even a microsoft vs somebody else thing] I'm gonna respond, sorry :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2016, 07:19:33 pm »

i question if you really disabled the snooping.

It has been scuttlebut that non enterprise versions actively ignore manually entered group policy and registry settings to disable telemetry, with reports of having wireshark tracelogs to prove it. (windows says it is off but really does not actually turn it off.)

only on corp and enterprise versions do they allow you to turn off telemetry for real.

let me see if i can find credible reporting.

Reddit is about as credible as national enquirer, but the user comments have significant data capture logs. Its a crapshoot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3gm1e3/what_windows_10_is_actually_monitoring_regardless/

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:26:53 pm by wierd »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2016, 07:37:12 pm »

To Truean:

Bit of an extreme reaction IMO. I've watched several small to medium size businesses upgrade to Windows 10 without major issues. (Although no one has tried to run their business server off of Win 10, nor should they.) While I respect your IT guy's vehemence, as someone in IT, my guess is it's his (legitimate) reluctance about repairing what does not gracefully upgrade or cross over. Maybe he knows something I don't, or has applications and routines that won't run in Win 10.

Either way, upgrading to Win 10 is not an insurmountable challenge for a business. I just can't state a good reason to willingly do so other than "it's the currently supported version of Windows." AFAIK, Win 10 is mainly about the mobile-friendly GUI, desktop user-experience, pushing Bing.com, Edge and Cortana on people and redefining the rules of the playground so MS can do stuff try to foist their web store on the world via the Universal Windows Platform.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:40:58 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2016, 07:54:32 pm »

Reddit is about as credible as national enquirer, but the user comments have significant data capture logs. Its a crapshoot.
From what I found a bit after that happened Microsoft came out and flatly stated:
As part of delivering Windows 10 as a service, updates may be delivered to provide ongoing new features to Bing search, such as new visual layouts, styles and search code. No query or search usage data is sent to Microsoft, in accordance with the customer's chosen privacy settings. This also applies to searching offline for items such as apps, files and settings on the device.
So yes, there are still some ping-outs, but it's important to note that none of them actually include any data about you. Maybe it might make a difference if you were some sort of censored journalist in hiding who was being hunted to the point where just the fact that their computer was making queries was enough to bring pain down on them, but for anybody else it's not gonna matter (and if that's you then honestly you should probably be running some version of linux set up for privacy and only touching the net when absolutely necessary through things like tor and VPN's). It's the difference between knowing what I'm receiving in the mail and just knowing that I have a post-office box; one is an intrusion of privacy and allows for data collection, the other doesn't allow you to gain anything useful other than possibly a count of the total number of people who use the postal system. To quote the arstechnica article that that reddit comment references: "This is consistent with what we saw (there is no query or search data transmitted)". The only difference here is that a lot of people wold expect there to be no connections being made at all, instead of the innocuous ones required by our modern, always-online world.

And it's also important to note that that (and pretty much everything else I can find about the similar issue) was from over a year ago at this point. The only things I'm finding from the last couple of months are on blatant security conspiracy-esque sites to the point where I'm surprised they're willing to actually post on them. I mean if we really want to debate this I can bust out Wireshark on my Windows 10 comp, though even that won't really tell us anything. A handful of packets pinging out that ask "do you have any updates?" in a microsoft-specific format to a bing server for the bing service that is woven through microsoft internet explorer (and thus through the interior of the OS itself) are gonna look virtually identical in the logs to ones that were busy giving out my deepest darkest secrets to a spoofed CIA node, short of someone from microsoft revealing their internal structure.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2016, 08:50:51 pm »

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:50:12 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2016, 09:01:17 pm »

So, I decided to give the 'free' version of minecraft that comes as a gift with windows 10 a try.
That forced me to make a Microsoft account.

Said Microsoft account now hijacked my computer, replacing my normal start up log in password with logging into my computer with a microsoft account, which basically means I no longer have access to my computer unless have internet connection and am permanently connected to my Microsoft account.

Turned out their 'free' gift version of minecraft is just a 90 minutes playtime demo. So I deleted it in frustration.

But now I am stuck with the Microsoft account log in whenever I reboot my computer or want to take it out of sleep mode. How do I get rid of it, and get back to my normal computer password / ASUS facial recognition login?

Related: Fuck you, Microsoft.

EDIT: did I mention fuck you, Microsoft?
Any updates?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2016, 09:12:08 pm »

To Truean:

Bit of an extreme reaction IMO. I've watched several small to medium size businesses upgrade to Windows 10 without major issues. (Although no one has tried to run their business server off of Win 10, nor should they.) While I respect your IT guy's vehemence, as someone in IT, my guess is it's his (legitimate) reluctance about repairing what does not gracefully upgrade or cross over. Maybe he knows something I don't, or has applications and routines that won't run in Win 10.

Either way, upgrading to Win 10 is not an insurmountable challenge for a business. I just can't state a good reason to willingly do so other than "it's the currently supported version of Windows." AFAIK, Win 10 is mainly about the mobile-friendly GUI, desktop user-experience, pushing Bing.com, Edge and Cortana on people and redefining the rules of the playground so MS can do stuff try to foist their web store on the world via the Universal Windows Platform.
I'm not quite sure who they think will actually use UWP though. Business certainly isn't going to pay for rebuilt programs (especially ones that require a new version of windows on top of that), and the thread we had on it made it pretty clearly unable to support proper pc gaming, nor community fixes for the games that got thrown into the fire as examples. And they don't have the fortress-walled garden of apple to let them insist on making it the way forward.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:13:57 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2016, 09:41:14 pm »

As a gamer I can only really speculate as to gaming. But maybe they observed the arc of gardens like Origin and Ubisoft and decided to try slowly building a user base over time. Steam is a pretty proven platform for showing that once you're on it and you start purchasing through it, you're captured. If MS isn't planning on trying to make us all choke and die on UWP, then that may be their strategy.

Other comparisons you might make are to the Apple Store and how it has its own ecology of user made apps that Apple profits off of. MS currently doesn't enjoy that, and maybe that's why the Store and UWP is a thing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10