Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Fuck you Microsoft  (Read 18927 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck you Microsoft
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2016, 09:53:00 pm »

i would suspect a desire to get 30% off the top of sales, like apple does with apple store, is a big part of it.

microsoft really, REALLY wants you to get things from its store.  I am more apt to use an alternative depot, and avoid market encumbered aps on my win8 machine.

for instance, i installed the winaero games pack, which installs the win7 versions of freecell and pals, rather than play MS's little game with the terrible market version that wants a subscription.

i understand it works on 10 as well.

i would just assume windows market does not exist.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2016, 10:21:19 pm »

As a gamer I can only really speculate as to gaming. But maybe they observed the arc of gardens like Origin and Ubisoft and decided to try slowly building a user base over time. Steam is a pretty proven platform for showing that once you're on it and you start purchasing through it, you're captured. If MS isn't planning on trying to make us all choke and die on UWP, then that may be their strategy.

Other comparisons you might make are to the Apple Store and how it has its own ecology of user made apps that Apple profits off of. MS currently doesn't enjoy that, and maybe that's why the Store and UWP is a thing.
If they wanted to go the Steam, Origin or Ubisoft route, they'd have made a better start building anything other than a UWP-like system. While people aren't especially fond of Origin (and uplay is...working, at least), they work like normal programs, and the games they offer can be fixed without direct dev intervention.

Even back in the win8 store, I think I remember hearing skulls of the shogun doing much better in sales once it was released elsewhere than the practically nonexistant windows store.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:23:06 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2016, 04:59:04 am »

So, I decided to give the 'free' version of minecraft that comes as a gift with windows 10 a try.
That forced me to make a Microsoft account.

Said Microsoft account now hijacked my computer, replacing my normal start up log in password with logging into my computer with a microsoft account, which basically means I no longer have access to my computer unless have internet connection and am permanently connected to my Microsoft account.

Turned out their 'free' gift version of minecraft is just a 90 minutes playtime demo. So I deleted it in frustration.

But now I am stuck with the Microsoft account log in whenever I reboot my computer or want to take it out of sleep mode. How do I get rid of it, and get back to my normal computer password / ASUS facial recognition login?

Related: Fuck you, Microsoft.

EDIT: did I mention fuck you, Microsoft?
Any updates?

Nope, I still don't know how to get rid of the microsoft account log in.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2016, 05:10:21 am »

Did you perhaps not enter the password correctly when you tried to log in offline? I remember the login screen sometimes gives some vague, cryptic error about your device being offline that could very easily be interpreted as it telling you that you need to be connected to the internet.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2016, 05:34:08 am »

No, the offline thing was just a wrong assumption on my behalf.

The actual problem is that I don't want the microsoft account. It feels like it hijacked my pc, overriding my normal password and making my facial recognition no longer work. (In fact, it still works, it just doesn't count as a valid log in anymore, making it go into an endless loop of 'recognized face' on the log in screen).

Not to mention the gazillions of privacy breaches I may or may not be fully informed about.

I just want to log out of that microsoft account, and remove it from the startup sequence. But right now, the only way to 'log out' of the microsoft account is to have it shut down your computer :(
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:36:32 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2016, 05:46:18 am »

My fuck Microsoft moment is the fact that since the latest major update my laptop installed I can't turn off Cortana.

They literally REMOVED the button to turn off a program that I feel is a breach of my privacy.

Sure you can turn off a lot of things in the privacy settings, but it is still communicating with Microsoft.

>:(
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2016, 06:15:37 am »

Looking like you'll need to delete Windows 10 for your own personal good. Also, forgive me if i'm wrong, but as i understand it, you bought freaking Windows 10 just for freaking free Minecraft (IIRC, Microsoft offered free Win10 only until 1 January 2016)?! Anyway, i highly doubt that you'll have problems deleting Win10 from computer. Sorry, i'm well aware that i'm unhelpful, but that's because i never had any problems with Microsoft accounts, and i don't remember Win10 very well anyway.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2016, 10:04:20 am »

My fuck Microsoft moment is the fact that since the latest major update my laptop installed I can't turn off Cortana.

They literally REMOVED the button to turn off a program that I feel is a breach of my privacy.

Sure you can turn off a lot of things in the privacy settings, but it is still communicating with Microsoft.

>:(

I go that extra step and block it with Windows Firewall.

Don't rightly know if it does anything beyond not let it search 't internet, but if I'm going to be forced to have something that is among the most memory heavy tasks be on all the time, I'm going to be pissed off about it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2016, 10:06:11 am »

I never bought win10. I upgraded from win 7, free. And no, I did not buy anything for Minecraft. I couldn't care less for Minecraft, I have never felt intersted enough in it to spend money on. I just noticed it was advertised as a free extra for win10 users, and decided to try it. Turns out it was only a trial version and it shoved an invasive microsoft account that pirated my computer down my throat just for wanting to try their 'free' game. I wrongfully thought 'Oh I'll just log out of that microsoft account when I'm done trying that game', only to find out it literally took over my computer.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:07:56 am by martinuzz »

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2016, 10:20:29 pm »

Good thing having a not-genuine Win 7 platform prevents me from "free-updating" to Win 10.

Microsoft still wanting to steal more data? Force non-genuine people to update first, which means they might pay more for unclear amounts of more money. After all, they don't pay for Microsoft so they must "pay" for that, right?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:27:32 pm by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2016, 05:45:19 am »

And you can't even delete Win10? Then i really don't know what can save your computer from Win10 menace. Deleting OS from hard drive of computer is most radical and effective method you can possibly use. But anyway, try to google "windows file unlocker for windows 10". Who knows, maybe you can use this little program to delete system32 folder with it. Side effects are too obvious to list here, but it'll kill Win10 with 100% chance of success.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2016, 06:05:41 am »

I have no desire to delete windows 10. It's actually not that bad. This is not a thread about win10. I just want to get rid of the microsoft account.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2016, 06:37:35 am »

How did you go with googling the issue?
http://www.howtogeek.com/230543/how-to-revert-your-windows-10-account-to-a-local-one-after-the-windows-store-hijacks-it/
I'm assuming you did look for these links...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2016, 06:49:59 am »

Thank you. I did google it, but couldn't find a thread like that.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2016, 04:22:04 pm »

If nothing else works, go to computer management through windows key+X, it should be in there or under 'administrative tools'.

Once there, go to local users and groups -> users. Add a local administrator, log into that new users, then transfer all your stuff from the MS account. You can expunge the MS account from computer management once your done.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10