Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Fuck you Microsoft  (Read 19044 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck you Microsoft
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2016, 12:34:39 am »

I'm under no illusion. My personal boycott is hardly a noticable dent in the sales figures. But it also isn't cutting off my nose to spite my face.  If anything, it's trimming my beard a little, each time. And the less distracting games I have, the better, probably. Better than letting my beard grow long, in unproductive idleness, right?
Probably the wrong metaphor for Bay12. Trim head/mustache instead.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:38:46 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2016, 12:54:57 am »

I'm under no illusion. My personal boycott is hardly a noticable dent in the sales figures. But it also isn't cutting off my nose to spite my face.  If anything, it's trimming my beard a little, each time. And the less distracting games I have, the better, probably. Better than letting my beard grow long, in unproductive idleness, right?
Probably the wrong metaphor for Bay12. Trim head/mustache instead.
If I can still fish with my beard, then I'm sure nobody can complain...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2016, 02:11:41 am »

Mental image of long thin beard with fish hooks attached. I think I will call you Urist McHookbeard from now on.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2016, 12:55:32 pm »

Heh. I think Microsoft is giving me the finger back. I fixed the issue using the method provided in Reelya's link.

Next windows update took 1 hour and 45 minutes  :o
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2016, 07:35:30 pm »

Mental image of long thin beard with fish hooks attached. I think I will call you Urist McHookbeard from now on.

Well Blackbeard tied lit fuses into his hair to scare his intended prey. Beard fishing is just the next logical step.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2016, 05:02:33 am »

Can we mention the whole thing about limited active hours? Thats a big Fuck You right there.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2016, 10:12:53 am »

Can we mention the whole thing about limited active hours? Thats a big Fuck You right there.
Ahem, much yes.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2016, 10:28:37 am »

What's this?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2016, 11:02:10 am »

What's this?
You can only set a 12-hour block when you're 'using your computer' and Windows won't randomly decide to update.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2016, 11:25:54 am »

Apparently micro$oft did another round of involuntary updates 2 weeks ago at one of the remote locations I kinda do tech support at, by phone.

Something just recently changed in the network, so I had to go around figuring out why the printer attached to the computer suddenly stopped working on the network anymore and the changes made wouldn't stick. 
Hour later, I thought to ask what version the computer was.  Windows 10.  Righteo, had to look online for a fix on that.  Youtube video fixes/workarounds help a whole lot.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2016, 02:54:26 pm »

Microsoft is trying very hard to emulate the Apple(tm) ecosystem, but fails to realize that their ecosystem has all kinds of fruit in it, not just apples.

Apple computer is able to enforce driver compliance, because they have full control over all the hardware in their ecosystem. They know exactly how every device is put together, what drivers it needs, what quirks it has, etc.

Not so with Microsoft.  Windows runs on any old x86 clone, with any random bit of hardware inside. Drivers are made by hundreds of third parties, and compliance with specifications are spotty.

Microsoft wants the perks of a unified platform that "just works", but does not seem to grasp that authoritarian control over hardware, the way apple does it, is the only viable road to getting there. When there is choice, there is dischord between configurations, and this results in a very branched set of best practices and policies-- The very opposite of that unity they seek.

Microsoft has filled a kind of ethical gap between this "Polished plastic dystopia" of apple's ecosystem, and the "Freedom! Terrible, terrible freedom!" of the FOSS ecosystem, where there is freedom of choice in hardware, what drivers you use, how you set up a deployment, etc-- with a standardized set of APIs for application compatibility.  It was very popular, and I expect this was a major factor in its ascendancy to market dominance. (Apple clamps down on everything. The only permitted innovation is that which emerges from Cupertino, and then only with the blessing of corporate. Everything works exactly as designed, but there is no freedom at all.-- Meanwhile, in the FOSS community, if you dislike something, you are free to fork it and make it suit your needs however you like, as long as you release the methodology behind your changes publicly, resulting in a massively fragmented array of specialized deployments that is confusing to non-experts.  The windows ecosystem was somewhere in-between.)

Lately, Microsoft has noticed that a new trend has emerged, as computers have become a mature technology.  People really dont have the mental resources (Mostly related to time, and effort needed) to deal with a free and highly fragmented ecosystem, and want things that "Just work". This has caused a rise in acceptance of the Apple(tm) approach. Sure, there's a lot of things you can't do, or if you can, dont have much choice over the method of getting it done (EG, you can't get apps on an iDevice without Appstore, unless you jail break, etc-- and the only apps on the appstore have been censored and sanitized by Apple. There are no true competitors to iTunes and pals, for instance), but it works, and works pretty reliably.  That reliability is desirable to people who really just dont have the resources to deal with the consequences of that expanded freedom.  Again, Microsoft seems to be seeing this, and wants to emulate the Apple model, but does not seem to grasp that it means leaving its old niche behind, so it creates horrible copies that are like apples superficially, but lack the reliability that people are really looking for. It's almost like a cargo cult like ritual to attract those users.

Microsoft would do well to realize that Apple is the holder of that niche, and any effort to enter that niche will require dethroning apple. Apple is successful because it understands its niche.  Microsoft is fighting a losing battle, and will only end up without a niche at all if it continues.

Instead of trying to pretend to be a polished plastic dystopia, like apple, MS should focus on assuring applications and drivers use their APIs properly, but otherwise be hands off.

This is the kind of battle MS waged in the 90s, when they moved away from the 9x model to the NT model for their flagship product line.  Many devices were using drivers that did not properly comply with how they were intended to interface with the OS, according to MS's specs.  This is why so many devices became orphaned in the early 2000, when the hardware was perfectly good.  The device OEMs did not want to do it the right way, implemented real-mode VxDs to do all kinds of quirky shit behind the OS, (and in some cases, real mode TSRs loaded before windows!) so that they could save money on the hardware (in most cases.) Many people blamed Microsoft, instead of the hardware OEMs that did things incorrectly and knowingly incorrectly-- then refused to release updated drivers because doing so would be expensive, and it was just easier to make people buy new hardware.

We are seeing something similar now, but not as extreme.  We have devices that work just fine with older versions of the driver framework APIs that MS does not want to support any more. Things like 64bit drivers for win7, which win10 simply does not want to accept (even though the driver will in fact work just fine), coupled with more draconian digital signature enforcement (The only real stick MS has to keep OEMs in line with driver compliance) resulting in perfectly functional hardware going unsupported, or poorly supported-- But we are also seeing something entirely new, resulting from MS's desire to copy the apple model:  Microsoft is moving away from a mature-release cycle, and into a "Rapid, rolling release" cycle.

Why is that bad?

Imagine you are an OEM, and you are developing some new piece of hardware. You develop the product around a specification that Microsoft has released, but it takes time to develop, produce, test, and market your product. By that time, Microsoft has decided that the specification you made your product to meet is obsolete, and now wont support your product, or wont support it properly.

This is why Microsoft is in danger of losing its existing market niche, and just imploding as a company.  Without the many different hardware OEMs to pick and choose from, there is no benefit to using them over Apple's or the FOSS community's offerings.

They have essentially come out and said that their new release model will have windows as a service, with constant incremental changes.  This is reflected in the two anniversary updates to 10, and how they break so much under the hood.

Dont get me wrong here-- this model CAN work, but MS will *HAVE* to make the rolling release cycle slower, to better match the estimated product lifecycles of the hardware produced by hardware OEMs, otherwise you will have people buying a swanky new video card, or a fancy new printer, and suddenly finding that the card now performs poorly/is crash prone, and that the printer does not work like it used to, because MS pulled the rug out from underneath it, and calls it a feature.

Again, Apple gets around this by tightly controlling the hardware like a tyrannical despot. This is a luxury that MS does not have.

Linux and pals in the FOSS community support ancient hardware for LOOOONG after the expected product lifecycle, which is how they get around it-- they just point out in their communities that while the devices will work, they will lack modern features, and are thus undesirable to retain in service.

Microsoft enjoyed a privileged position in the middle.  Not so much any more, and they are actively sabotaging the retention of that position, by playing "Me too!!" with Apple. It was/is this privileged position that enables PC gaming to even be a thing-- for instance. The unified APIs enforced by microsoft let game studios target a generic set of features with established means of access, and hardware OEMs can create unique and customized solutions that best perform and interact via those APIs. There are some edge cases where this causes problems, but for the most part it lets the newest AAA title to work with the deluge of available hardware options with only the minimum of issues.

By wanting to speed up OS development, and with it, changes to the APIs (To bring you "New and exciting features FASTER!"), they make it harder and harder for hardware makers to stay in compliance, they turn the driver certification process into a giant hamsterwheel where these OEMs spin and spin and get nowhere fast, frustrate users because MS releases their new updates before the market is really ready for adoption, causing all these issues, and driving the very people they seek to attract (The people who want it to "Just work") away in record numbers, while driving those that accepted them as the middle ground because of the greater choice they offered with the minimal headache, to the more free and open options from the FOSS community, since at least there, there are ways to make their device work, even if they are painful.

That MS is so detached from the reality of how the software and hardware markets work, and thinks it can dictate these problems away, (and the associated pathologies of how they tried to basically force people to upgrade during the free upgrade period, amongst others) is why I have such a negative view of them.

They are alienating everyone, by pretending that they know what they are doing, when they clearly don't.  When they INSIST that they are right, to the point of crippling user systems with their bullshit and leaving the user with no valid methods of resolving the problem besides hemorrhaging money every 3 months on hardware that is better supported, and waiting endlessly in line to resolve the licensing madness that this causes, I feel I have to throw the hat down.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2016, 03:38:44 pm »

Great post.
Edit: And its even the 100th post in the thread. Nice.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:46:40 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2016, 04:03:54 pm »

I'm wondering if a 2016 update of this 2004 update of the 1999 original is worth doing...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2016, 06:38:56 pm »

Great post.

Agreed. Those were pretty much my exact thoughts, but articulated better than I could ever hope to.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2016, 12:26:31 pm »

Fuck. 
Wasn't paying attention/thinking yesterday and hit Update and Restart on one of the older computers in the office. 
Half the shit on it doesn't work now... ok maybe an exaggeration.  Its the shitty Windows UI that doesn't work, which means I gotta walk my co-worker through using stuff without having to rely on the Windows UI. 
Get your shit together Micro$oft.

...  I'm pretty sure it was actually one of the first computers to go to windows 10 actually.  The person using it unwittingly did the update(or it just choose to update by itself) and came to me after the 'grace period' (some sort of timer that'll let you go back to previous versions) to have it fixed when everything suddenly stopped working right.  I think that grace period was a month or 2. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10