Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping Water on the Ground  (Read 1219 times)

BasileusMaximos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dumping Water on the Ground
« on: October 07, 2018, 07:16:52 am »

There has to be a mod that just lets you designate an area for dwarfs to turn into mud. There just has to be.

Seriously, I like this game but whenever I think about going back to it I remember how many hoops you have to jump through just to get a basic farm working. Hoops that should be completely unnecessary when you have a dwarf and a bucket.

So please tell me there is a mod somewhere that lets me designate an area of stone for hauler dwarfs to make into mud. I can't believe this feature isn't in the game yet...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping Water on the Ground
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 07:20:07 am »

Stuff like that is not moddable. You could set up a farm in the soil layer.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

BasileusMaximos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 07:21:19 am »

Its not possible to create a command that makes dwarves keep dumping buckets of water on stone floors until the area designated is mud?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 07:25:25 am »

Its not possible to create a command that makes dwarves keep dumping buckets of water on stone floors until the area designated is mud?
Correct! Though you could designate the area as a pool with the zone menu, but I'm not sure if that would work. If it doesn't, tough luck. Not everything in DF is moddable.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 10:54:39 am »

I'm pretty sure you can use zone designation to achieve that goal.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 11:51:23 am »

I guess making a pool, filling it with bucket-hauling of water (pool designation), then draining it one level downwards, is pretty good method of mud generation.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 05:09:39 pm »

Channel the tile above, and designate that tile (the one above) as a pool.  Dwarf will dump water in the "pool", which will fall a z-level and make water/mud.  Sloppy and micro-manage-y for more than one tile, but it works.

If you want to cheat, I think dfhack will let you "create" water in a space, which might make mud ...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 10:35:28 pm »

You can create water with gui/liquids (default keybinding Alt-L in loo'k' mode) pretty easily, but water creates mud when it flows sideways, so the initial tile will be left mudless. However, should be possible to hack in straight mud, given you can erase it with clean.
However afaik there isn't a simple command to do so right now. I guess people have just preferred to do it the old-fashioned way?

In-game equivalent to "turn area into mud by buckets" would be to install a pressure plate in the far corner that triggers on 2/7 water to seal the bucketing hole. I imagine a workflow-esque gui to pond zones that inactivates them when at/over set depth would be possible, but again, doesn't exist.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 04:52:39 am »

You can mod in a building with a reaction to spawn some water (or magma!). When the building is deconstructed, the liquid will spill out.