Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapons available to animal Men?  (Read 1433 times)

Spectre9000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapons available to animal Men?
« on: September 11, 2016, 11:37:26 am »

Hey guys, I've not done much with Adventurer Mode and was going to start out as a Porcupine Man simply because the idea of engaging an opponent in melee is going to be my preferred method of combat, but the idea of attacking someone at range with my own quills sounds pretty amusing. If I can't fire them, I'm thinking I that when I'm attacked in melee the quills will possible injure the attacker. The fact I'd have quills might be meaningless and not used in any way, but I hope it is.

Anyway, my problem is that I would be rather small... roughly 39,500 cm3. That's barely enough to use basic weapons, and no axes (which is what I'd like to use). I'm wondering how things work in adventurer mode with regards to determining whether I can wield a weapon or not. Should I give up on wielding an axe on anything this small, or is there a possibility of me ever using a Halberd one-handed on such a small creature? I'm trying to get a feel for how all that is determined.

Theoretically weapons would be sized the same as armor, that's not the case in this game and it seems it changes based on what mode you're in as to what a creature can use. Also, should I retire an adventurer in a fortress I unretire, would the adventurer still equip things like in adventurer mode, or could it possibly lose the ability to equip certain weapons because of how Fortress mode normally handles it?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons available to animal Men?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 01:06:24 pm »

You can use weapons however you want as an adventurer, but armor has to be sized for you. The only thing halberds are good for is taking them from people and throwing them at other people. If you retire them in a fort and assign them to a squad with the gear they have then they might use it, but I'm not sure if their ownership of the weapon+your use of it will carry over past the fort mode "too small to use" check, but axes should be fine.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:22:18 pm »

A porcupine with the halberd sealed of in iron plate. Reminds me of a fable about "iron porcupine".

Now.
You can mod the basic creature and make it 2x larger. This way when you gen new world, porcupine men will be larger too.
With a bit of modding you can be one prickly uristf****r  8)
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 03:36:11 pm »

Keep in mind that unless you mod the game, porcupine quills dont actually impact the game in any significant way. They're basically just the usual body covering layer.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.