Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: Gridland Survival! A game about learning lessons the hard way.  (Read 32502 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Gridland Survival! A game about learning lessons the hard way.
« on: September 22, 2016, 07:40:45 pm »

Introduction

Welcome to Gridland Survival! Its a variation of a series of games previously played on the MSPA forums and Chocolate Pi called Gridhood. The gimmick with this game is that it contains only one major civilization; of which each player is a member. The game will start off being fairly simple, with new rules being added as things happen. You will be hunting for food, exploring new lands, researching technology, fending off monster attacks and maybe participating in an election or something.

Previous knowledge of Gridhood is not required to fully enjoy this game.

Rules (More will be added later. All rules will be added to the first post)

Spoiler: Player Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scouting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Population (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Professions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Naming (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Target Icons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Multiple Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mandatory Formatting (click to show/hide)

Signup Sheet
Here is the signup sheet. You will get five character abilities as well as one species ability. Character abilities can be summed up in a single word or you can give a short description of it. This can be physical traits, personality traits or whatever else you can think of. Feel free to be creative here.

I'm not sure how many players I'll be accepting, but it will probably be a lot.

Prior to filling out the Signup Sheet...
There have been some changes made since the start of the game. You are not intended to pick from the list of pre-existing abilities. Every single one of the abilities on that list was initially created because it was on an application in the first place. While you are allowed to pick pre-existing skills, I formally discourage you from doing that. Bonus points for not picking the most common gender for your character.

There has been confusion with new players applying to join the game. To clarify, you are NOT supposed to include a description of what abilities do. Just include the names. If you scroll down a bit you can see the first few player's application who signed up. I will also point out that it is recommended to create your own abilities as opposed to picking them from the list below. (Though it is probably acceptable if you pick a few abilities that already exist).

Also, it is preferred to send me a PM with the character sheet as opposed to posting it in the thread.
Spoiler: Signup Template (click to show/hide)

Gridland Encyclopedia
Spoiler: Character Abilities (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Castes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:19:51 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
Re: Gridland Survival!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:52:12 pm »

PTW
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:33:43 am »

Name: Easter Sunday
Character Ability 1: Ranged weapons
Character Ability 2: Stealth
Character Ability 3: Poison
Character Ability 4: Trapping
Character Ability 5: Crafting
Species Ability: Telekinesis

((How much fantasy is in this game? Can I choose abilities like telekinesis?))
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:17:47 pm by vishdafish »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 11:06:21 am »

Name: Beatrix Purnima
Character Ability 1: Smart
Character Ability 2: Green Thumb
Character Ability 3: Hand-to-Hand
Character Ability 4: Fast
Character Ability 5: Diplomatic
Species Ability: Resilient
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 11:18:57 am »

Name: Asker of Questions
Character Ability 1: Analysis
Character Ability 2: Research
Character Ability 3: Building
Character Ability 4: Oratory
Character Ability 5: Teaching
Species Ability: Deep thinking

My first action is to research the local food supply while foraging. Pay attention to which edible plants grow where, and analyse the conditions on that "where".
Do spend enough time gathering said edible plants to at least feed myself.
((Right, not started yet.))

((This species ability, does it mean that the players are members of different species and cannot cross-breed, or did you misuse the word and meant something like caste? In that case, is there social mobility?))
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:52:25 pm by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 04:21:53 pm »

To answer your questions,

This game has a pretty high level of fantasy, and I am going to give the green light for Telekinesis. Don't count on it being overpowered though. Applications may be updated until the official start of the game.

All player characters are of the same species, which means you will benefit from all the species abilities from the players who are in the game. Character abilities are unique to your character.

I will also point out that the game has not yet actually started, and there will be a proper introduction posts when it does, which will include some information about everyone's abilities and an actual map and stuff.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 04:29:00 pm »

Name: Angelo Moore
Character Ability 1: Growing
Character Ability 2: Brewing
Character Ability 3: Scouting
Character Ability 4: Persuasion
Character Ability 5: Blades
Species Ability: Farming
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Sprityo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 10:03:51 pm »

Quote from: 'phantomEclipse'
Name: Finsternis Geist
Character Ability 1: Inspirational Leader - description goes here
Character Ability 2: Hawkeye - description goes here
Character Ability 3: Blacksmith - description goes here
Character Ability 4: Blessing of the Wind - description goes here
Character Ability 5: Trapper - description goes here
Species Ability: Natural Cover - description goes here

Bleh, let's see how this goes

I have arrived to play. Maybe I'll make descriptors if I'm feeling it

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 02:16:28 pm »

Welcome to Gridland! You species has recently come across a stockpile of strange food which has caused you to become sapient!

I'll start with an explanation of how to determine your characters abilities. If you open the character list you will see your characters name and attributes. You will need to also look at the first post to see what those attributes actually do. The Red part of the character list indicates a characters Caste. The black ones are Abilties and the Blue information is temporary info, Including the tile that the character is currently on. At the very least you should memorize the effects of your own characters abilities.

There are few actions that can be taken without research or abilities. These include attempting to forage on a tile, hunting, and researching. If you attempt to do something you cannot do, you will be notified next turn. This will generally waste your turn, but if you take note of the "Free Research" ability that is granted by the "Alpha" class, you will see that it will not be a total waste. Some Natural Abilties and Character Abilities include actions that you can perform. One such ability is Deep Thinking.

Your first priority should be to get a stable income of food so that you don't starve. After that, you should figure out what you will want to do in order to ensure your species long term survival and prosperity. Remember that you will require some degree of teamwork for this.

You will also want to keep an eye out for new game rules. These will generally be mentioned in update posts. For example, check out the new Inventory rule section on the first post.

Lastly if you catch the GM making a mistake, please let me know. I suspect I'll forget little details here and there. Don't be afraid to ask for clarification on rules. If I make a rule in an update post and do not put it on the first post, be sure to tell me.

Time to decide on your first action.

Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: Gridland Survival! Game Start
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 02:39:39 pm »

Invite Beatrix Purnima to collaborate in researching agriculture.

- Examine plants on F7, see which are eaten by herbivores. Taste them, and see which seem more filling and tasty. Look for the biggest and lushest patches. Analyse the conditions in which they grow best and think of a way to reproduce it on less productive patches; see which ones also grow better after testing the hypotheses (only one hypothesis per patch).
- While doing this, forage enough to feed ourselves. It'd be quite embarrassing to starve while researching food...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:56:04 pm by Maegil »
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 03:16:35 pm »

Start researching a design for non-lethal animal traps (for large animals). Experiment using various materials lying around, including the fallen branches from the giant tree.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 04:21:16 pm »

Investigate the soil of E6 to see if there are any growing plants. If there are plants growing, see if any herbivores eat them.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 06:26:37 pm »

Invite Beatrix Purnima to collaborate in researching agriculture.

- Examine plants on F7, see which are eaten by herbivores. Taste them, and see which seem more filling and tasty. Look for the biggest and lushest patches. Analyse the conditions in which they grow best and think of a way to reproduce it on less productive patches; see which ones also grow better after testing the hypotheses (only one hypothesis per patch).
- While doing this, forage enough to feed ourselves. It'd be quite embarrassing to starve while researching food...

Accept Asker of Questions's invitation. Investigate plant life on F7 while foraging.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Sprityo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 07:48:42 pm »

Start researching tools for gathering raw materials. (Axes, pick axes, shovels, etc.) Investigate the water in E7 for plant life and fish.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 12:05:19 am »

*Rule additions:*
See Buildings and Naming in the rules section.
The Labor stat has been discovered, and is mentioned in the stats encyclopedia and the Alpha caste.
The Health stat has been updated with basic information about healing.
*Tip*
You should always research something. Its a free action for you.

Turn 2

The tribe consumes some of the stored Mystery Food. There is enough to last about 4 more turns.

The Asker of Qustions and Beatrix Pernuma move to F7 to figure out how to actually feed the tribe. The Asked of Questions goes to investigate which plants are the most tasy and filling, and ultimately settles for finding out which plants are actually edible, and in the process is able to obtain some red colored berries. Beatrix Pumina determines that some of the plants in the area appear to have thorns, and takes 1 damage in this learning process. The two are able to successfully make a breakthrough in Agriculture Research and figure out how to create Farmland!

Finsternis Geist tags along and investigates the water. She is able to pull up a kind of dark green plant from the riverbed. She also confirms the existence of fish in the river, but they prove to be able to move much quicker than her in the water and are quick to swim away from her. She considers how to create tools, but a lack of knowledge about the materials available to her makes this a bit difficult at this time.

Easter Sunday begins to study how a large animal could be captured via non-lethal methods. This task proves to be challenging without quality materials to work with or knowledge of what kind of animals live in the area. The branches from the tree are either too big to actually work with, or too small to impede the progress of anything bigger than yourself.

Angelo Moore moves to the west to investigate the plants. There are mostly grasses and other small plants in the area. Angelo spots an unknown creature in the area. It is a small brown colored quadruped which flees from the sight of him. It seems willing to eat the plants in the area, but they don't look particularly appetizing to Angelo.

Spoiler: Science (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Places (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Character List (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Communal Inventory (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34