Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Controlling companions  (Read 3788 times)

Noel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Controlling companions
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:05:56 pm »

These guys seem to run off and attack whatever they see.

How can I control them and how much control do I have over them?

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controlling companions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 02:43:50 am »

In the general sense you have no control over your companions.

That being said, you could just choke them unconscious, blind them, and then carry them around with you choking them unconscious whenever they wake up.  Then when you are preparing for battle you could just set them down on the ground and wait for them to regain consciousness, then go aggro enemies and bring them back to your allies who will then attack them if they get next to them.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:15:03 am »

Actually, you can now tell them to 'wait here' through the 'Ask favor, place demand...' conversation topic. And that's really about it in terms of coordinating on the battlefield sort of stuff. IIRC however, a companion told to stay put will actually not mindlessly run after hostiles - so that's a plus.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 05:48:05 pm »

I was doing some adventure mode yesterday and ran into a couple of confusing situations with yielding.  Due to my bad-assery, I'm finding that my opponents are yielding.  I agree to yield but my companions keep whacking on the poor creature.  One thing I tried was to demand that my companions yield.  This *seems* to have an affect with 2 out of 3 of them, but the third one invariably continues attacking.

So, does asking your companions to yield actually work like that?  If so, what causes a companion to ignore it?  Is it just being hard headed (this companion has the unfortunate habit of biting the genitals off her opponents and is generally crazy)?  But she also tends to get injured a lot (because she's crazy and rushes into battle like a mad woman), so I wonder if she ends up continuing because she's injured while the other two tend to be a bit more careful.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:17:44 am »

Is it just being hard headed (this companion has the unfortunate habit of biting the genitals off her opponents and is generally crazy)?
This deserves a screenshot from combat log  8)
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 06:12:49 pm »

She has a title now: Somlis Laudedone the Confident Truth of Thirst  :D  I don't know if it's related but after several discussions on the value of restraint, she has actually stopped biting people.

I'm afraid the incidents in question have scrolled off the top of the announcements history (and I don't know how to post a screen shot anyway ;-) ).  Basically she would bite the lower body and then shake them around until the offending body part was severed.  It happened 3-4 times.  It was terrifying.

She's a bit of an odd one anyway.  I almost suspect her of being a vampire because she can run like the wind and never seems to tire.  Telling stories of her reveals nothing untoward.  Sometime I'll have to check legends mode.

Edit: Holy crap.  She *is* a vampire.  I went back to tell stories of the town where I picked her and her buddy up.  Her buddy shows up in the stories, while she does *not*  Instead there is an entry about the vampire Nganiz Gloriesblazed scouting the area and not appearing to age.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:36:59 pm by mikekchar »

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 04:26:29 am »

Well.
bite her, bleed her, drink her blood? :)
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 05:53:39 am »

I was thinking about it -- or just wait until she gets injured and slurp up the blood on the ground.  But I think it might be fun to travel around as a normal human with a vampire companion.

To bring it back to the theme of the thread, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to distract the other companions while she gets some "alone time" with unconscious opponents.  Don't really fancy having her get thirsty while we're all asleep...

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 09:35:56 am »

hmm you could just place them in a camp site I learn that telling them to wait in one where they are assign a zone will cause them to be placed in that zone.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 07:21:17 pm »

Well... I visited a goblin fortress and as usual everyone ran all over the place (for some reason, I didn't think to tell them to wait).  2 of my companions died and the suspected vampire ran off somewhere.  I presumed she had also died, but in the mess of tracks I couldn't figure out where she went and couldn't find her body.  Having no companions and it getting dark, I had to retreat.  I decided to check legends mode at this point.  Somlis is *still alive*!  Not only that, but she *isn't* the vampire I suspected her of being.  That vampire is happily working as a fishery worker in a small town, drinking people's blood.  It seems that Somlis was born in the place I found her, to unknown parents.  She had done nothing up until the point that she joined me.  That's why there were no stories of her.  Not sure how she got such ridiculous stats...  She can run over 4 wearing full bronze chain and a bronze breastplate.  If I run after her, I eventually collapse, while she never gets winded.

Now the mission to recover her.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 05:13:49 am »

Marry her and sire a lot of offspring.
Just make sure she won't... you know... bite it off you too soon  8)
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 07:31:00 am »

We should really have that option.
To sire children.
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 05:45:49 am »

To sire children.

I believe it's planned.

Atomisk

• Bay Watcher
  • Majora
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 09:52:02 pm »

To sire children.

I believe it's planned.
Actually it's POSSIBLE to do. if you settle with a companion somewhere, nature -can- take a course. you are both a male and female entity, perhaps the only pair, that exist in the site. You just have to wait and... hope it happens.
Signatures are for people with things to show off. I'll show off something.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 07:50:27 am »

To sire children.

I believe it's planned.
Actually it's POSSIBLE to do. if you settle with a companion somewhere, nature -can- take a course. you are both a male and female entity, perhaps the only pair, that exist in the site. You just have to wait and... hope it happens.
uhh that's more likely hope the npc finds your character attractive enough that the game randomly assigns you to get married and this is pretty much hoping to find a person who interests is your character's race.
at best you just become really really good friends.
also take the turning them into animals off the table as toady made it so that the person soul can't be altered to go any preference so folks are poop out of luck with dating.
also loads of waiting which is like not playing the game for this to happen.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: [1] 2