Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any warning system/utility for when dwarves are stuck in trees and slowly dying?  (Read 1383 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just had a dwarf die from thirst after having no idea he was stuck in a tree. I've read through several threads on how to save dwarves in trees, but the methods only help when the situation is actually noticed. Is there any utility out there that helps alert overseers to dwarves in distress, other than constantly checking tree tops?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've started checking the health menu under the z menu every once in a while.  Any time a dwarf appears to be starving or dehydrated, there's a good chance they're trapped somewhere, since they're pretty good at feeding themselves.  I like the actual warning system, though.

My most embarrassing way of killing dwarves is to tell them to build a workshop in such a way that they can't get in or out and then they die in there.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile

easy fix for tree climbing:
edit creatures_standard.raw with the following under dwarfs:
   [CANNOT_CLIMB]

will stop dwarves from climbing out of fortifications to attack enemies too.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

easy fix for tree climbing:
edit creatures_standard.raw with the following under dwarfs:
   [CANNOT_CLIMB]

will stop dwarves from climbing out of fortifications to attack enemies too.
I would be careful when doing this, as it would prevent miners climbing out deep holes, and a dwarf adventurer would not be able to climb either.