Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dead Rising 2: The Forum Game (3/3)  (Read 9189 times)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
Dead Rising 2: The Forum Game (3/3)
« on: September 23, 2016, 06:46:56 am »

I'm sure you guys know what Dead Rising 2 is, right? If you don't, it's essentially "Let's take a zombie outbreak, and throw in a motorcyclist who is pretty much obsessed with Duct Tape and his infected daughter." As you can tell if you do know what it is, that isn't the strangest idea in the world. What you will notice no matter what is the name of the topic and the board it's been submitted at. Yep. I wanna try the most ambitious Forum Game idea I've thought of: turning a video game...into a forum game!

...Yeah, okay, I guarantee someone else has at least tried something like this, but if it crashes and burns, then it does at least having been attempted, and that's something, right? Now then, onto some obvious questions.

Q: Where on Earth did you get this idea?
A: A homebrew Tabletop RPG I play with my cousins. We're going through a comedic Star Wars campaign when the thought of my favorite Psychopath battle from this game (who I will get to), set to an RPG with more options, struck me. Since we haven't done that campaign in a while due to location, I thought of a different approach to it.

Q. How will this insane concept work?
A. See, normally I would be coy and just say that you should wait and see, but you can't sell a seafood restaurant to people with one dead fish. I did have a demonstration, but in trying to get it all put together, I grew increasingly frustrated with the tool I was using to do it (which I will say if anyone asks) so I put it away. I may just post the map like so:

and merely track player position in the character sheet, as well as weapon and zombie locations in separate sheets. Not a great way to track 3 characters, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Q. Um, Greatness? Chuck Greene is alone in Dead Rising 2, save for some of the survivors. Can you count, and if not, why are you still here?
A. Yeah, well, when I came up with this game, I had the thought of doing a suggestion game, where players could just control Chuck through the game. It would have silly chaos (which I love), and it would be accurate, since we're playing as Chuck. However, as I merged this with the RPG idea, I came up with this idea: what if 3 of the survivors took it upon themselves to find out the cause of the outbreak? I am open to the idea of a Suggestion Game, but I think it's a good idea.

So, if you guys are interested in this vague concept and wanna see it actually be something...well, um, post I suppose. Along with that, I do have a question for you.

Q: If this game does happen, would you want it to take place in the canon of the original Dead Rising 2, or the canon of Dead Rising 2: Off the Record?

Survivors (3/3):
Joachim Nix (NRDL), Samuel Ashwood (Hawk132), James Vancoy (Chromatic Wisp)

Potential Survivors (2/Infinite):
Reserved Spot (TheBiggerFish), Hans Kramer (S34N1C), Leshawndra Dawkins (wipeout1024)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 12:37:32 am by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Interest Check) Dead Rising 2: The Forum Game
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 08:10:53 am »

Welp, hindsight's a punch in the eye socket...yeah, that's an expression.

What I mean is that you guys probably want mechanics and the like. When I typed the OP out, I thought I would wait until people said "yay" or "nay" before I posted the concrete stuff. However, I feel like mechanics are better then vague ideas, so...

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Pretty sure I got most of the Mechanics covered...well, except for Bathrooms, but you can't save anyway, so whatever. Now then, onto the Character Rules, and the Sheet.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:28:15 pm by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:31:11 pm »

Triple Post!

I've decided to post the storyline leading up to Dead Rising 2, so that anyone who doesn't know the story can jump in. Yeah, it's a barebones version, but I'm on mobile, so typing out the entire story would take a while.

Spoiler: Story (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:12:19 pm »

To answer your question in Wiki Warfare, yes, post this thread there, cause this looks fricking awesome.  Count me in.

Spoiler: The Pugilist (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:23:01 pm »

To answer your question in Wiki Warfare, yes, post this thread there, cause this looks fricking awesome.  Count me in.

Spoiler: The Pugilist (click to show/hide)

I think that, when tallied up, that's 5 Health Squares and 4 Item Slots. Even if it isn't, Approved.

Also, I forgot a few mechanics and a Character Creation Rule. I'll edit them into the proper folders later on.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 03:32:06 am »

Looks interesting. To join or not to join?

... Eh, I'll bite. That was a horrible pun. I'm not sorry.

Spoiler: The Vigilante (click to show/hide)
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 03:40:40 am »

Looks interesting. To join or not to join?

... Eh, I'll bite. That was a horrible pun. I'm not sorry.

Spoiler: The Vigilante (click to show/hide)

...Heh.

Approved! I like the Vigilante gimmick, and his description's really cool, too.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 04:09:16 pm »

Ooh, this looks cool!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 09:47:52 pm »

Ooh, this looks cool!

If you wanna join in, we have one more slot.  :D

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 07:03:17 am »

Q: If this game does happen, would you want it to take place in the canon of the original Dead Rising 2, or the canon of Dead Rising 2: Off the Record?
Only now have I noticed this question.

I think that the original Dead Rising 2 canon would be better. Y'know, since it's the canon canon.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 07:10:45 am »

Only now have I noticed this question.

I think that the original Dead Rising 2 canon would be better. Y'know, since it's the canon canon.

You have a great point. I suppose the original makes a lot of sense to do. I actually own just Off the Record, but I love the original, and I can make this work just fine with the canon turn of events.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:31:32 am by Greatness942 »

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Rising 2: The Forum Game (2/3)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 05:35:05 pm »

*bump*

Chromatic Wasp

• Bay Watcher
  • Art by Tae (Raspcherry)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »

Spoiler: The Opportunist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:38:10 am by Chromatic Wasp »
Come on up to the stage! Are you trembling with fear and excitement?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 08:57:18 pm »

Place an equal sign after the first spoiler inside the brackets, followed by what you want the spoiler title to say. 

E.g.

['spoiler=This is an example][/spoiler]

what it would actually look like without the apostrophe inside the bracket:

Spoiler: This is an example (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 09:58:51 pm »

Still room for one more?

Spoiler:  The Doctor (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:08:20 am by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7