Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: This may sound strange, but....  (Read 6203 times)

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This may sound strange, but....
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 11:41:08 pm »

Sewer brew & swamp whiskey is moonshine/battery acid taste
Longland sounds like a golden/pale/pilsner
afaik you can get banana beer in real life

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58167
2 pages on Sunshine and what it could be.
I personally imagine it to be a very strong fruity white wine that tastes good no matter what your tastes actually are.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 05:09:35 pm »

I'd imagine plump helmet wine would taste like psilocybin mushroom juice.
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:44 pm »

Which tastes like?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 12:20:14 pm »

Muck root is of a lower value than most other crops though it can be eaten raw; so I figure it either tastes nasty, doesn't fill you up, or doesn't tend to sit right. I always thought given the name that it has an extremely earthy taste, like catfish have but without really having anything else to it. The swamp whiskey made from it would probably also be earthy, and not in a good way for most people.

Sliver barb makes a drink called 'gutter cruor.' It also makes black dye. Cruor is an older word for dark coagulated blood, so I'm guessing from that that nobody really has the means of completely removing the black dye without making it unbrewable for whatever reason. The drink would end up being very dark, and having a sort of thick consistency compared to other drinks - not as though it were full of sand, just viscous like chowder or syrup. Sliver barbs can't be eaten raw or cooked, so it probably doesn't taste all that great either, but there's not really any room for speculating on how it would taste. The result is that it'd just be viscerally unpleasant for people except those few who like the taste.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:22:46 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 12:28:16 pm »

Muck root is of a lower value than most other crops though it can be eaten raw; so I figure it either tastes nasty, doesn't fill you up, or doesn't tend to sit right. I always thought given the name that it has an extremely earthy taste, like catfish have but without really having anything else to it. The swamp whiskey made from it would probably also be earthy, and not in a good way for most people.

Sliver barb makes a drink called 'gutter cruor.' It also makes black dye. Cruor is an older word for dark coagulated blood, so I'm guessing from that that nobody really has the means of completely removing the black dye without making it unbrewable for whatever reason. The drink would end up being very dark, and having a sort of thick consistency compared to other drinks - not as though it were full of sand, just viscous like chowder or syrup. Sliver barbs can't be eaten raw or cooked, so it probably doesn't taste all that great either, but there's not really any room for speculating on how it would taste. The result is that it'd just be viscerally unpleasant for people except those few who like the taste.

Muck root...
When I think nasty, I think most things bitter.
Earthy, bitter... Ugh.

Gutter cruor... Nope.

What about river spirits, dwarven rum and ale, whip wine, fisher berry wine, and prickle berry wine?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:33:05 pm by Asin »

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 01:12:46 pm »

I've always thought sewer brew literally tasted like piss and shit.  It just sounds like a generally nasty drink nobody would drink unless nothing else was available.  If you've ever heard of prison pruno, I'd imagine that's how it tastes.  I haven't tasted it, but if you Google it and look at it, you can practically taste it through the screen.

Sunshine would just be absolutely delicious in a way that nearly everyone would agree, hence its high value.

Do dwarves ever have a preference for the really terrible sounding beverages?  I know those preferences start out hidden until they actually encounter such a beverage, but I've never seen a preference for sewer brew or gutter cruor or these other terrible sounding beverages.

I also don't know why mead has such a low value.  It's delicious.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 01:16:35 pm »

I've always thought sewer brew literally tasted like piss and shit.  It just sounds like a generally nasty drink nobody would drink unless nothing else was available.  If you've ever heard of prison pruno, I'd imagine that's how it tastes.  I haven't tasted it, but if you Google it and look at it, you can practically taste it through the screen.

Sunshine would just be absolutely delicious in a way that nearly everyone would agree, hence its high value.

Do dwarves ever have a preference for the really terrible sounding beverages?  I know those preferences start out hidden until they actually encounter such a beverage, but I've never seen a preference for sewer brew or gutter cruor or these other terrible sounding beverages.

I also don't know why mead has such a low value.  It's delicious.

I think the dwarves can like the terrible drinks.
May Armok have mercy.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 01:36:29 pm »

Most mead today is "spiced" mead, meaning it has some sort of fruit added in along with the honey to give it some flavor. I understand it's rather bland made with just honey.

River spirits are made from rope reed, and have an average value. Rope reeds grow next to water in the wild and their only other use is to make cloth, so they're probably literally just some tall fibrous reeds. They can be brewed so they must have a good deal of sugar in them, but since they're inedible it probably isn't any kind of sugar sentient creatures can use for anything. My guess is that river spirits are smooth and refreshing but very neutral in terms of taste.

Dwarven rum probably isn't meaningfully different from IRL rum. Sweet pods are a plant and not a mushroom (they have seeds instead of spawn) and can be made into sugar/syrup as well. You could probably tell the difference, but there's not really room to speculate on what that difference might be.

Whip wine is made from whip vines, and it's more valuable than the average drink but less so than sunshine. The vine can be milled into flour too, which is also more valuable than other grains. Whip vine could be a play on the shape of the plant (Urist likes them for their length) but I like to think that the name is also evocative of the flavor. It's got some bite, like a whip, so it's got a sort of peppery/spicy undertone to it that makes it much tastier than regular grains. Whip wine would probably be like a hoppy beer, then, but without the bitter aftertaste.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:38:24 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 05:36:12 pm »

Most mead today is "spiced" mead, meaning it has some sort of fruit added in along with the honey to give it some flavor. I understand it's rather bland made with just honey.

I can't imagine a wine made out of mushrooms being terribly appealing by comparison, but that's worth twice mead, which is only worth the base value 1, on the level of sewer brew and gutter cruor.

It just seems to be cutting it short shrift, since unlike any of the other brews, you actually need to set up a dedicated industry with special equipment (well okay hive boxes anyway) to even have it.  I guess there are other advantages like wax (for crummy crafts), nearly useless royal jelly, and nearly worthless honey.

I usually do set it up because there's always some dwarf sitting around with that skill, but it just seems it should be slightly more rewarding.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 06:04:02 pm »

Which tastes like?

Well psilocybin shrooms taste kinda bitter and earthy. So I imagine the juice tastes similar. I haven't had anyother kinds of shrooms so idk, they probably all taste similar at least. :)
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 11:18:42 am »

They use mushroom wine extensively in the Fallen London universe by Failbetter Games, because Londoners love their wine but after being brought to a cavern with no sunlight they had to make do.

The game implies it is as diverse as normal wine, just... not as good, generally speaking. Less intense and less awesome while still having a full range of flavors.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 03:19:22 pm »

I can't imagine a wine made out of mushrooms being terribly appealing by comparison, but that's worth twice mead, which is only worth the base value 1, on the level of sewer brew and gutter cruor.

It just seems to be cutting it short shrift, since unlike any of the other brews, you actually need to set up a dedicated industry with special equipment (well okay hive boxes anyway) to even have it.  I guess there are other advantages like wax (for crummy crafts), nearly useless royal jelly, and nearly worthless honey.

I usually do set it up because there's always some dwarf sitting around with that skill, but it just seems it should be slightly more rewarding.

That makes sense, I hadn't really considered the whole production chain. Maybe it was an attempt to balance out the value of the industry? I'll certainly go ahead and mod the value higher in my game, heh.

malistaticy

• Bay Watcher
  • WAH
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 09:43:45 pm »

since Sun berries are, well, berries, I'll hazard a guess and say Sunshine is a wine.

if we are to take "inner light" literally, it implies bioluminescence. if we are talking luciferase, the enzyme found in fireflies and marine life, it might have a savory taste.
"Honestly, I have no idea how that got there"

Haskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Iä! Shub-Niggurath!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2017, 11:14:56 pm »

Yeah, even somewhat bland honey-only mead would, in my haphazard guesses, taste better than swamp whiskey, sewer brew, and gutter cruor.

Prickle berry wine has always sounded to me like it'd have some sting to it, and not in a pleasant way, like Baffler's idea for whip wine. Like a tongue-stinging, semi-uncomfortable-to-drink wine. Rubbing alcohol-tasting bum wine, but less artificial cough syrup flavor, and more throat burns.

I'd agree that swamp whiskey would probably be very, very earthy, to the point of being rather unpleasant to drink. Cheap scotch with WAY more soil and peat-smoke undertones than you'd normally get from IRL whiskey.

And dwarven wine might be somewhat palatable, though it is strange to have it better than mead. What I'd guess from this is that dwarves probably have different tastes comparative to humans, which isn't much of a stretch. To them, I'm guessing, wine made from grapes probably sounds like wine made from mushrooms to humans, heh.

Gutter cruor would probably be semi-solid in a chowdery way, yeah, and I'd always thought that sewer brew wouldn't taste like actual sewage; just bad in a comparable way, otherwise I doubt it'd really even be a thing from a sensible point of view.
Tell me, have you seen the Yellow Sign?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 04:17:01 pm »

Well, if I were a dwarf, I'd never go for prickle berry wine. At all.

Also, what do you think longland beer's like?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:22:07 pm by Asin »
Pages: 1 [2] 3