Poll

A or B?

A
- 2 (22.2%)
B
- 7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)  (Read 35078 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
You are an Independent Scientist! (Nov 12, 2016)
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:21:52 am »

[NEXT]

You are a scientist.
An independent one.

It's modern day and you reside in the garage of a rather low-rate series of apartments and condos. Recently life has been fairly dull, and the situation of the world displeases you, to say the least. So you plan on using SCIENCE to make it better.
In your own image, of course. How else?

Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:24:56 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Independent Scientist!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 02:31:07 am »

Do we need to eat?
 If yes, design the perfect pasta.
 If no, Purchase scrap metal and forge a crude arc welder.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 02:31:40 am »

I'll play later. It looks fun.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 05:13:47 am »

[PREV]    [NEXT]
You do need to eat, and you are in fact hungry for some pasta. So you go to the store and buy various amounts of bargain pasta. (-$10)
You proceed to lay out the various boxes of pasta on your table in the garage and go to work. Eventually, some period of time passes and you sit back to analyze and taste the results.

Oh, okay. No. Yeah. This did not work. It's all wrong. You've somehow made very unappetizing blobs of melded-together pasta. You force yourself to gulp down enough to remain non-hungry, else your purchases would be in vain.
Item created: Unappetizing Pasta Goop

You turn to the next item on your agenda to try and distract yourself from the hell that is your tastebuds. An arc welder. That's more in your area of expertise. Though the problem is, arc welders tend to be a lot more complicated than just bare metal. Oh well, you decide to try anyways. You manage to get enough scrap metal for the project with $5 of scrap metal. You get to work.

Just as you almost think you're getting somewhere, it literally blows up in your face. Congratulations, you just made inert harmless scrap metal explode. That's an accomplishment right there.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:44:30 pm by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 05:15:47 am »

Superimportant game design question:
Multiplayer or SG?

Multiplayer could be fairly cool (and a relative breath of fresh air for me), but SG is more tried-and-true.
If I were to make this a multi-person SG, last update will be considered a Turn 0 for RAM, and if it remains a regular SG, the update will stay as Update 1 for the game.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 05:16:44 am »

SG

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 09:39:45 am »

Seems like it could be pretty cool either way it goes. Vote chosen.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 10:21:42 am »

Do we have any income? Reoccuring expenses?

Assuming this is modern USA there are some things we can do.

1. Apply for food stamps and get a free smart phone(basically a small pc, this will be VERY useful). Takes 1 to 2 weeks to get our food stamp card and phone, but we should qualify. 6 mo ea.

2. Get on obama care, if we were accepted for EBT(food stamps). We are a scientist and the ability to see a doctor is pretty paramount.

3. THROW OUT THE GOOP. Food bank! Bad food will bring us down and make us less sciency. Sorry if I'm being toooo realistic, but all of this is grounded and relavant.

edit: you get like $200 mo from stamps that you can spend on any non hot, food items. Once we make about 700 a month income our benefits will start to go down, and be gone once for making about 1500 reported income. Foodbanks give about a shoppingkart full of food once a week, many only ask for id, some dont even need that. obama care means we can get free exams and even surgeries while we are super broke, and it will still be cheap once we make money.

This gets us going then we can determine what we want our cover job to be. Maybe something in electronics that throws out a lot of defective parts we can use. Or go into tutoring and teaching, nobody expects the teacher.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 10:49:00 am by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 11:03:53 am »

Collect the shards of metal, and weld it into a modern art sculpture of a light bulb.
For CASH!, so science can be funded.
(I'm assuming theres a cheap welder somewhere.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:12:22 am by KiwiOui »
Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 11:34:09 am »

I Vote Multiplayer.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 01:01:34 pm »

Collect the shards of metal, and weld it into a modern art sculpture of a light bulb.
For CASH!, so science can be funded.
(I'm assuming theres a cheap welder somewhere.)
+1 call it "the idea" like that's a whitty name.

Superimportant game design question:
Multiplayer or SG?

Multipalyer need's to have more ground rules over what can be done, and basic chance would be unfair as simple things would fail at the same rates are lazer weilding death mechs.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 01:05:23 pm »

Sell our bomb-from-scrap-metal formula to the government for millions of dollars.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 03:37:21 pm »

SG it is. May make a MP version of this at some point, though. If I ever do make a MP version, it'd likely be about the same but with light skills affecting the chances. Due to the starting resources and way I make updates (As in, you can't just say "research cold fusion" and expect it to happen), it should/would probably be fair enough. But that's not really relevant right now.

You briefly consider selling your amazing new Quik-Bomb™ Technique, but it's really just harmless, so you bench the idea for now. Instead, you gather up the pieces of debris from the explosion and put it all in a pile on your table. After a quick (not really) trip across the town, you find a cheap welder for -$30.
After a couple hours of work, you finally finish THE IDEA.

It's, uh, it's a light bulb. It represents the plight of the working class or something. Or maybe the hopeless starvation of intellectuals in modern day? Whatever. You can ad-lib a meaning to the buyer. You carry the fairly large sculpture all the way down to the local pawn shop, where you get a stunning $48 for it.

Done with the fun and exciting stuff, you look into various government aid programs and your incomes and expenses.
Your garage is actually provided to you free of cost. You may technically be squatting in it, but you know the owners don't care enough to do anything. No income too, though. Employers just don't appreciate your ideas.

You manage to apply for food stamps and basic medical care. They both somehow apply immediately with no real conditions other than quantity and quality, but you decide it's best to not think too hard about how easy that just was. You can't find a way to get a free cellphone, but you don't let that discourage you.

You also carefully throw away the pasta goop, making sure to plug your nose with extreme prejudice when doing so.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:14:05 pm by Chiefwaffles »

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 06:01:00 pm »

Buy some deadly, poisonous scorpions for experimentation. (I was thinking we should blast them with radiation or something?)

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 06:12:46 pm »

Buy some deadly, poisonous scorpions for experimentation. (I was thinking we should blast them with radiation or something?)
How about cyborg-scorpions?
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30