Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A suggestion about cages  (Read 924 times)

leontas2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A suggestion about cages
« on: September 25, 2016, 06:48:40 am »

well I don't know if that has been suggested before but...

I always have a problem when I catch something. I think a simple feature that is cool to have is to just be able to release something from a cage. When it is a tame animal its easier, its still annoying what you have to do but its still easier from a goblin or anything wild.
I just want to put a goblin to a room and just be able to release it without having to put a lever to the cage.

So I think its a simple feature, but its good to have

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion about cages
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:16:41 am »

You can assign the goblin to a pit zone, which will get them out of the cage without needing a lever.

But "just being able to release it" doesn't make sense in the game. Who opens the cage? The player only acts through giving orders to dwarfs, that's the game mechanic. Either a lever-pull or a dwarf coming along and letting them out. Maybe the pit zone could be modified to just release the creatures if there's not holes to pit them in, then it could double as a zone you can just release any creature in. but it would be less safe for the dwarf.

leontas2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:36:11 am »

well, if you release them then just a random dwarf can go and do it, just like when you contruct something or haul.

As for the safety, I 'm not talking only for goblins but for tame animals as well, and there is a way to strip them from their weapons in the wiki(I haven't tested it yet) and then just release them for a fight.

What I am doing now is that I have made a room(which is protected with traps) and there I have the cages with the goblins. Then I have one of my squad go there and fight. But the problem are the cages, so releasing them just by having a way to unassign them would be mutch easier

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 07:20:54 pm »

Use pitting.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 11:39:41 pm »

Just having a open the cage job would be cool. I had a legendary axe dwarf that once died in a cage because by the time I realize what had happened to the poor bastard there wasn't enough time to get him out of the cage before he died.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 03:05:25 pm »

Just having a open the cage job would be cool. I had a legendary axe dwarf that once died in a cage because by the time I realize what had happened to the poor bastard there wasn't enough time to get him out of the cage before he died.

But that would have been true with an "open cage" job just as much as with the "pit occupant" jobs we have now.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 04:01:48 pm »

Use pitting.

I double this. Just in-case the OP doesn't grasp what we mean, pasturing and pitting are different, dwarves pull creatures/animals to pasture before releasing them there and pitting drags the cage to the pitting area and releases it on the tile adjacent where the pit is.

Pitting over a horizontal plane (like a cliff edge face or a hatch OVER a cliff edge face) will simply cause the dwarf to pick up the animal and drop it there or through, as to say into a arena or a sudden death by falling 10 z levels into a platinum floor where they will likely explode into gibbets and die from such a hard landing.

You can also simulate releasing autonomously without dwarves by attaching mechanisms and a lever to a cage/restraint which will cause it to release on the spot.

> Moreto the question, you can just unassign creatures from cages by the Q menu if memory serves to open.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 07:08:30 pm »

Personally, what I want to see the most is an "Open Cage" or similar job, that can be assigned to be performed only by military dwarves. None of this "I'm a 12-year-old Milker, off to throw a giant Troll screaming down into a pit, I sure hope it doesn't slip out of my grasp and beat me to death with my own pants" nonsense. Just have your squad of steel-clad Macedwarves enter the stockpile full of goblin cages, and grin as they open them one by one.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.