Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cloned NPCs?  (Read 1447 times)

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cloned NPCs?
« on: September 25, 2016, 10:47:11 am »

Alright, found this bug some time ago. It seems that,sometimes, when you complete a quest and report it back to the lord who gave you the quest, the game gets confused about some random NPC in your area and that sometimes causes NPCs to get a brand new twin brother that has the same name,same tile,same description and the same items as the normal NPC.

Those 2 ü icons are the same human axeman.

I would enter that world again but the game gives a fatal error when I try to do so. Also this happens on both Windows and Linux and also on unmodded games.Has anyone ever found something similar
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Cloned NPCs?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 10:36:51 am »

after waking up in the tavern, I found one of my companions now had a clone who shared everything. he stayed at the same place as the original though. I kind of wondered if hangovers were added and that's what happens.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:07:37 pm »

I always assumed it was a bug with the game not changing or wiping the information it used to create the NPC in the first place. You recruit the guy, he's supposed to follow you now, right? But the game doesn't clean up the information for the NPC before you recruit them or something if you sleep or wait or travel out and then back into the same location, and so it creates another instance of the same person. Sometimes this doppleganger ends up following you in exactly the same tile as your companion, like there are two identical people in the same square doing the same things, or one of them follows you and the other hangs out doing whatever it should have been doing before being recruited.

If you leave the area, only one of them will follow you. But then if you go back it's entirely possible there will be two again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 01:13:06 pm »

I kind of wondered if hangovers were added and that's what happens.
So people with hangovers are just the barely-complete clones of the previous person?

Ontopic: This happens a lot with dungeons, as with the old museum world, there was an exhibit with over 200 corpses of the same exact kobold.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:04:12 pm »

I kind of wondered if hangovers were added and that's what happens.
So people with hangovers are just the barely-complete clones of the previous person?

Ontopic: This happens a lot with dungeons, as with the old museum world, there was an exhibit with over 200 corpses of the same exact kobold.
I was thinking it was a hallucination.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 08:12:07 pm »

Tis a well known bug, luckily it isnt as common as it once was.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Jako98145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 07:35:46 pm »

I always liked that glitch.  I've done characters where I would get a companion, he/she would be brutally slaughtered by some creature, bandit, or...often me--yes, I'm a sadist--and I would return to my lord, or wherever, and see my companion in the flesh, with his/her starting weapon and clothing.  I just think, "hey, buddy...sorry about that thing before, but I promise I'll protect you next time.  (Probably not, though)"  I believe I've even had it happen about 3 times in one world once

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 11:20:03 pm »

Yes, Sluguflonkus. Hers was a special kind of hell.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 03:53:13 pm »

speaking of old museum world, isn't it about time for a new adventure museum?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!