Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat Analysis Tool  (Read 778 times)

Aedom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat Analysis Tool
« on: September 27, 2016, 03:06:06 pm »

Hello one and all!

While trying to figure out how tissue damage works exactly, we created a handy little tool that might be useful to the modding community.  It allows you to record an arena session and then open that recorded data up in an external viewer for more convenient analysis.

The original discussion that bred the tool:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160694.0

The tool repository wiki, with download links and instructions:
https://github.com/DigitalLibrarian/DfCombatSniffer/wiki

I hope some of you find the tool useful in your modding endeavors.  There are screenshots in the original thread. I look forward to hearing any feedback about it.  That reversing discussion is still going on if anyone finds it interesting.

Cheers!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Analysis Tool
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:14:01 pm »

Working pretty well so far!

The game hangs occasionally, I'm not sure if that's expected to happen or not, though for the purposes of testing smaller arena fights it shouldn't be a huge issue.

The units overview is pretty helpful too. It let me spot a kick attacked with a foot of some 40 urists in weight and with the wrong tissue layer as well as some oddities in the weapon-bodypart (low contact area, etc) the armor man creature has.

I'll be tinkering around with this as well as my armor man creature, I'll have some more feedback eventually.

Edit: fixed bogus image link.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 07:15:41 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Aedom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:37:15 pm »

Working pretty well so far!

The game hangs occasionally, I'm not sure if that's expected to happen or not, though for the purposes of testing smaller arena fights it shouldn't be a huge issue.

The units overview is pretty helpful too. It let me spot a kick attacked with a foot of some 40 urists in weight and with the wrong tissue layer as well as some oddities in the weapon-bodypart (low contact area, etc) the armor man creature has.

I'll be tinkering around with this as well as my armor man creature, I'll have some more feedback eventually.

The hanging is expected. I go to disk often to write that log file, so the disk writes are killers.  I could have made the user issue a flush command, and that would have been faster, but in the end, I decided on the most non-intrusive design. 

The biggest reason why you see it hang up, is that the first time a creature does an attack, it dumps a bunch of static info about that creature once.  This is the stuff you see in the units tab.  The older versions used to stream all of that data for every attack.  It is a little more disk friendly now, but you will still have a little noticeable lag, when I'm dumping the creature info.

I am so happy that you are finding it useful :)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 07:17:24 pm »

Ah that would explain it, I'm running DF from a regular old harddrive. Also fixed my bogus image link...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!