Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [V 2.1!] Ancient Guns Mod DF 0.47.05  (Read 17027 times)

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
  • I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.
    • View Profile
[V 2.1!] Ancient Guns Mod DF 0.47.05
« on: September 27, 2016, 10:34:23 pm »

This mod adds some ancient guns. These guns are based on guns made during and right after the medieval times. They all use the crossbow skill for ranged and either hammer or spear for melee.

Download
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12462

Musket
 The musket is like the crossbow except it shoots at a higher velocity with a smaller bullet. Instead of just sticking into the place of impact, it often can shoot of limbs, get stuck in muscles, or shoot straight through organs. Muskets take 3 metal bars to craft at the metalsmith's workshop and shoot metal balls. These must be wielded with two hands by anyone human-sized or smaller.

Bayonet Musket
 Identical to the musket, but has a bayonet. The bayonet is a stabbing implement and does more damage then the normal musket. It is either crafted with 4 metal or a musket and 1 metal at the metalsmith's workshop and uses the spear skill in melee.

Rifled Musket
 This is a modified musket. It shoots light metal balls. The Rifled musket shoots more accurate then the musket at farther distances but also shoots smaller bullets and does less damage. There is a bayonet version as well.

Flintlock Pistol
 Like the musket, but smaller and less powerful. It only takes 2 metal to craft. Not as powerful, and usually only gets lodged in the wound and doesn't shoot off limbs. Unlike the muskets, it can be used one-handed by most creatures. Crafted at the metalsmith's workshop and shoots metal balls.

Hand Cannon
 The hand cannon shoots large metal balls. While the balls are shot farther and hit harder then the Flintlock, the bullets are very big so they usually only bruise the muscle or organ. They only take 1 metal to craft at a metalsmith's workshop and are an early weapon used to quickly arm a militia. They can be held one-handed.

Planned Features
 - To be added

Known Bugs
 - None yet

Change Log
V2.1
- Marginally increased the shooting force of most of the guns

V2.0
- Fixed reactions and crafting; muskets are now always craftable and the bayonet reaction works correctly
- Made muskets a two-handed weapon to differentiate them from flintlocks
- Fixed a bug where the rifled musket didn't use light metal balls
- Lowered the cost to craft most weapons
- Tinkered with gun force and velocity; guns should be more effective now

V1.0
- Changed Gun Sizes; Flint-Lock Pistols Can Now be Used Along with a One-Handed Weapon
- Changed Bayonet Weapons to Using the Spear Skill Instead of the Sword Skill

V0.75.5
- Fixed Multiple bugs

V0.75
- Added the Rifled Musket
- Added the Rifled Bayonet Musket
- Added Light Metal Balls

How to Download
 Unzip the folder. Open your DF folder, then your raws folder, then your objects folder. Drag the files into there and click "Move and Replace."

If you have any suggestions for new guns or balancing please tell me! If you find any bugs, let me know as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 03:47:37 pm by Sponge »
I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Weapons Mod V 0.5 DF 0.43.05
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 10:07:34 pm »

Note, the new update fixed it so that Civ's actually use the guns.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Weapons Mod V 0.5 DF 0.43.05
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 01:21:46 am »

Not gonna lie, this is literally the exact opposite of what I expected.

I was expecting like.... I dunno, an ancient mediterranean themed weapon/armor pack or something based on the thread title.

I mean guns that might not just be essentially reskinned crossbows sounds neat, but still.

tovRobi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Guns Mod V 0.5 DF 0.43.05
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 11:33:14 am »

Why you use sword skill instead spear? Bayonet firearm is basically a spear that can shoot. And why TWO_HANDED is zero?

BTW. How correctly install this mod? I copied everything in the folder raw \ objects with file replacement but nothing appeared in metalsmith's forge.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:55:04 pm by tovRobi »

RawChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 01:14:27 pm »

For some reason i cant use the guns in adventure mode

Wiking

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:23:49 pm »

I just wanted to stop by and thank you for this awesome mod!
Now if only someone could make a siege weapon -> cannon, it would be glorious.

Few changes I made to the mod before using though:
[SKILL:SPEAR] for bayonets, its a short sword/dagger on an end of a stick, its an improvised spear after all.
[TWO_HANDED:47500] for all muskets/rifles, the default size for spears, most dwarves should still be able to use a shield.
Shields still make sense, big shields could be used to rest the musket on before firing the weapon. (pic almost related, pretend its a tower shield)

Now I just need to add a copy of quiver and name it ammo-pouch, and we are good to go!

Wiking

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 04:31:02 pm »

I apologize for double posting, but after a full day of trying to get this to work, I really need some help or a tip from a modder.

I added this to item_ammo.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I added this to item_weapon.txt

And this to entity_default.txt ONLY for dwarves:

Yet no matter how many worlds I generate, I can craft all the weapons, but only CANNON ammo type, and for some reason I end up with a 3rd option which is always something weird like wide-tip arrows or short bolts or long bolts or even blowdarts at one point:

What exactly am I doing wrong, where is the mistake? Any help is appreciated, if you need any more info from me feel free to ask.
(tried it on Starter Pack and on a fresh clean vanilla download, exactly the same problem)

EDIT: Just realized what the problem was thanks to making this post, both light ball and normal ball ammunition have the SAME DAMN ITEM NAME T_T
Changed it and genned a new world, I have all the ammo types now for my weapons, got the mod working.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:52:59 pm by Wiking »

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:02:56 pm »

I just wanted to stop by and thank you for this awesome mod!
Now if only someone could make a siege weapon -> cannon, it would be glorious.

Few changes I made to the mod before using though:
[SKILL:SPEAR] for bayonets, its a short sword/dagger on an end of a stick, its an improvised spear after all.
[TWO_HANDED:47500] for all muskets/rifles, the default size for spears, most dwarves should still be able to use a shield.
Shields still make sense, big shields could be used to rest the musket on before firing the weapon. (pic almost related, pretend its a tower shield)

Now I just need to add a copy of quiver and name it ammo-pouch, and we are good to go!

Hey! Glad you enjoyed this mod! It was just a short thing I did as a kind of experiment, but it's nice to know someone had some fun with it!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:26:20 pm by sponge »

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [V 2.0!] Ancient Guns Mod DF 0.47.05
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 11:07:40 pm »

Hey folks!

I've finally returned to make this mod actually work in it's intended state, haha. I haven't worked on this for actual years, but I saw some people using it on the forums recently and thought it deserved a touch up. I've decided that this is 2.0, which seems fitting considering how long it's been.

2.0 Changelog
- Fixed reactions and crafting; muskets are now always craftable and the bayonet reaction works correctly
- Made muskets a two-handed weapon to differentiate them from flintlocks
- Fixed a bug where the rifled musket didn't use light metal balls
- Lowered the cost to craft most weapons
- Tinkered with gun force and velocity; guns should be more effective now

The guns should now be more effective and correctly craftable. I don't know if I'm going to add any more content in the future, but this should have fixed all the quirks. If you have any feedback let me know, otherwise enjoy!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: [V 2.1!] Ancient Guns Mod DF 0.47.05
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 06:23:42 pm »

Hey, just wanted to say that I liked this mod! I was looking for a simple "commonplace guns" mod and this was just what I wanted. Thanks for making it!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [V 2.1!] Ancient Guns Mod DF 0.47.05
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 05:06:48 am »

Sponge, just wanted to note that the reactions for some of the weapons are missing from your most recently updated DFFD file.