Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hackmud and other "hackers" game.  (Read 2678 times)

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hackmud and other "hackers" game.
« on: September 29, 2016, 09:55:24 am »

Best hacking game i have ever seen.
Seriosly, I'm huge fan of this genre.
I don't play this, but after ending my current project I sure, I will find time for this brilliant masterpies.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/27/hackmud-review/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 02:33:06 pm by Heretic »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hackmud and other "hackers" game.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:46:19 pm »

Tried it for 2 hours. Single play (tutorial) was very poorly designed. Modern MUDs and MOOs somehow adopted modern intferaces one way or another, yet this game refused to have any semblance to interactable menus and whatnot. Aesthetics are overall cute, but the whole gameplay is just grinding grinding grinding. Scripting is the only reason to play this, but that means only programmers will get hours worth of playtime out of this. The meta is that most hacking games use clever puzzles to simulate hacking, but this game sticks to 80s text adventure style riddles. Throw a vague hint at the player with no UI support and quest notification, and you are supposed to type something exactly as the developer want you to, and good luck parsing it, because if you don't know how to code, you will not have fun.

I got it refunded. I did enjoy playing Onlink, uplink's mod for a few hours after that.

Edit: I'm too tired to fix my grammar.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:44:13 pm »

OP called the game a "masterpies." You may be holding yourself to too high a standard.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:43:03 am »

Playing it right now, a few hours after the tutorial (wich did have a lot of what DoomOnion said), im enjoying it for now. Once in the game hacking doesnt rely on puzzles so to speak. For example EZ_21 locks have 3 posible combinations: open, release, unlock. EZ_35 locks have that lock and then a digit parameter 0-9. C001 locks are colors "organge, purple, green, etc", C003 locks are the color plus Triad1 and Triad2, wich correspond to 2 other colors. Basically each type of security measure has its rules and they can be understood by trial and error or by player communication, once you understand how they work you just have to brute force them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:48:12 am »

OP called the game a "masterpies." You may be holding yourself to too high a standard.
He called it a 'masterpies' without even having played it too. That's some grade-a psychic phenomenon going on.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:01:15 pm »

He called it a 'masterpies' without even having played it too. That's some grade-a psychic phenomenon going on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 12:08:00 pm »

fwiw I played this for an hour and a half, got through some of the puzzles. I got annoyed at the constant server disconnection issues though and refunded it. Why oh why are we making a singleplayer game connect to an online server for EVERY COMMAND? Especially when there are TIMED sections of the puzzles. Too often it would disconnect or time out from the server so my timer would elapse before the command I input would return a result

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 12:26:39 pm »

The better to render the game you bought unplayable when the developer/publisher decides that nobody needs to play it anymore? vOv
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 08:57:19 am »

If its goingi to server things, it might as well just be multiplayer.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 08:59:11 am »

The main game is, the 4 hour tutorial isn't.