Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who wants to play a community fort?  (Read 1832 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Who wants to play a community fort?
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:30:36 pm »

I'd really love to see more of the mod in action. Please, someone start some community forts, succession forts with any race you like.

Only with enough gameplay, I can do proper balancing and know what features to keep, remove, improve or expand on. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to play a community fort?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:00:59 pm »

Did you check out my (now abandoned) kobold fort?  It went five years or so.

I think kobold lives could be a little longer.  That is my opinion, no more.  Keeping them short sure makes them different, but they are already limited in many other ways.  Just feels to me like they start getting decent and they die of old age.  Of course. maybe if the conflict level were higher (I blame vanilla!) the old age thing wouldn't matter as much.

My current dwarf game is 7 years in and I haven't had one significant fight (except a very recent small bar brawl that put the two participants in the hospital!)  Had two "invasions," one was a single elf who belonged to the white tigerman civ.  He entered the may, turned around and ran away.  After that we had two whitetigerwomen thieves, no armor, no weapons, just 3-4 bags each.  They ran straight into the two cage traps I had out for the monkey swarms. 

The most fun I've seen is the 3-4 monkey packs that tried thieving in the first few years.  One managed to bite our carpenter's thumb which needed treatment, but that was the extent of it.  The war dogs and early militia team slaughtered about 30 of them.

We need (and I know it's problematical due to scripts still) the return of the invasion on demand mechanics.  The MWDF features are great.  Wildlife appears to be the main threat as things stand.  This has been my experience over about 8 games since I started with the new version, though most were fairly short.  Saw a few titan/weres, but no real invasion/ambush type action.  Am at war with whitetigermen in current game.  After seven years I can only say it must be a phony war.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:21:24 pm »

Sad to hear that the normal sieges are still so slow/non-existent. I hope the new werebeasts, vampires, secrets and monsters at least make up for that a bit.

I guess just throwing more civs into the mix wont help? How many Fortress Defense Races do you have active?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:15:28 pm »

I actually cut back to just two this time since it didn't seem to matter much when I had 4-6 in.  It seems distance matters more now and just can't get close to many anyway.  At least that's my impression and theory on why not seeing many real attacks.

I'll move up to latest soon and enable more of the creatures added and see if at least those up the challenge a bit.

I think the new stress system is pretty tame too.  Pretty easy to keep the population pretty happy without much death and destruction to down their spirits (up their stress!)  I will say the new taverns/temples/libraries sure to increase the relationship building though.  That SHOULD mean things get ugly fast, if they turn that way, but haven't seen anything like that to date.  Of course, if I get bored I start a new game. Maybe I am not hanging in there long enough with the new version of DF.

Maybe I'll have to give in and do evil embarks.  Mostly been untamed wilds and/or wilderness.  I prefer neutral critters and biomes in general.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 12:22:32 am »

I've been sitting on starting a Riverrun 2.0 of sorts for a couple weeks, but someone keeps releasing content which may be useful to the fort in question in some fashion. Can't imagine who that'd be. :P

I was going to do dwarves, of course, though limit myself far more by way of Terrible Weapons and decaying food, among other things. Kind of hoping to see The Wild Hunt in action as well.

I also kind of agree with Vonsch on the kobold life expectancy; in vanilla they can live to be up to 500 years old, but generally famine or violence claims them well before they even reach thier first century from what I can tell (living in caves that large predators like to nose around in probably doesn't help them in that regard for vanilla.)

As to sieges.... Honestly, there's not much point in the fortress defense races anymore. Too much competition from the other playable civs/possible bad guys to begin with and distance being a factor means basically "pick who you want to fight" and park your happy ass between the biggest population center you can and any other viable targets. Not helped by them basically being at war nonstop and with the newer version's use of actual population counts rather than "Do they still have a site? Okay then. Here's 900 free dudes" and travel time means even if they survive worldgen, it's often with too few numbers to be able to mount a siege at all, or survive the "living" world. And that's assuming you set the seige/attack requirements to the absolute lowest - still barely anything at all, if ever, at least in my experiences as of late in vanilla.

In a way, it kinda puts a damper on those civs that relied upon steady streams of enemies for thier tech trees or population growth in 34.11 (Orcs, Succubi, and Warlocks spring to mind.) It also sort of ruins any point in weaponry-related tech trees/powers, since it will be rarely, if ever, used if you settled the "wrong" place unless you go digging into the spires (Which frankly takes a lot of the fun out of the game in general for me - I got the most enjoyment out of fighting actual dwarf o whatever battles and seeing my soldiers' titles and kill tallies grow and thier weapons and armor gain recognition themselves, not having to deliberately open hell or fight wildlife only pretty much.)

But I'm rambling. If there's not going to be any bug fixes, then I'm gonna shoot for tomorrow night or maybe even tonight to start it.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 03:56:08 am »

Someone mentioned the monkey swarms... I've had a lot of gnoll problems... they seem to be completely ignored by any military unit as they are marked as normal wild animals.  They waltz right through a barrack/training ground and by the time the string of theft notices show up they've already stolen half a fort.  I watched it in action. Had to manually assign a kill order then suddenly the military decides 1 was fun, so kill a few more...  I've noticed this with a lot of add in creatures, whole fort come to a standstill as every job passing the thing is interrupted, but everyone but hunters ignore them.  Some leech became historic for killing a dozen dwarves who just kept showing up to work, while the a military squad patrolling 10 squares away ignored it.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 07:55:35 am »

This "can't see you stealing" behavior isn't new to this version though.  Had same issue in legacy.  I find dog packs at the entrance do react and attack without prodding though.  Military stands around and watches unless told to jump in.

Same deal with the friendly monsters.  Had a were in my kobold game that flipped to normal state and walked into fort.  Pets killed it before I could designate it for a military kill.  In that case it was actual pets and a couple vermin hunters.  The kobolds' actual war animals were at the front gate (were came in the fishing gate... low water... oops.)

I agree with everything Splint says.  The issues are vanilla, but be nice if MWDF could compensate for them more.  Probably not an easy thing though.

I think I will further deprecate the military side and go for small elite military (to tackle megas) and focus on other goals.  The vanilla library and tavern systems offer some possibilities, though there are some bugs there that may limit them.  The startup phase is always interesting, but things start to drag without outward pressures to keep them moving.  Not into visiting the circus either.  Not as a regular thing anyway.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 08:04:08 am »

I can set the siege triggers to very low, starting with 20 dwarves population. Even if you are not immediately sieged, the armies would start moving in your direction a lot sooner.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 08:20:35 am »

I was actually planning on starting a human city but i would hate to see only a few years of game for lack of players...
If anyone is intrested i'm up for it!
I can set the siege triggers to very low, starting with 20 dwarves population. Even if you are not immediately sieged, the armies would start moving in your direction a lot sooner.
actually ambushes from defense races are pretty hard to take (i came to see about 300 foes at the same moment) so i think it's not that necessary

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:51:16 am »

I suppose I could do a turn or two, gotta get all this rust off my writing anyway. Haven't done any personal projects for months, it's starting to show.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 08:58:52 am »

Meph,

I'd say accumulate more feedback before setting trigger that low.  It may be my play style or something I routinely do in my world gen is part of the issue and I wouldn't want to make things impossible for everyone else!

Or make it a setting in the launcher at some point.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 12:05:32 pm »

The launcher has the option already, it's just that everyone is more concerned wth fighting eachother instead of fighting your own fort.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 07:26:01 pm »

The launcher has the option already, it's just that everyone is more concerned wth fighting eachother instead of fighting your own fort.

Yeah, been reading the vanilla forums and this seems to be an issue with the current version.  I tried to pick my spot to maximize neighbors on the list rather than get in close to one or more.  I suppose the chances of seeing multiple (as it 4 plus) civs coming to siege is pretty low these days.  If there's enough of a civ to put together an army, they probably have closer targets to pester.  Except for one or two we crowd intentionally.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 07:40:17 pm »

Yeah, been reading the vanilla forums and this seems to be an issue with the current version.  I tried to pick my spot to maximize neighbors on the list rather than get in close to one or more.  I suppose the chances of seeing multiple (as it 4 plus) civs coming to siege is pretty low these days.  If there's enough of a civ to put together an army, they probably have closer targets to pester.  Except for one or two we crowd intentionally.

Closer or more appealing, by whatever metric the game uses for world-gen sites.

Frankly, and I even went as far as putting it in the suggestions board, I wish we could have old sieges back if we choose it, so people with a constant desire to murder not-animal/demon/megabeast things can have that while people looking more for building or some form of less violent storymaking can have thier own thing too. Lock it in with the world gen or something.

But, alas. I think I'm gonna binge on some Skyrim (send help pls) and then get a story fort put together.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 08:25:31 pm »

Hehe, Skyrim, nooooo!  I bounce in and out of TESO.

I agree, a config or world gen option would be nice on the vanilla end.  I don't like constant fighting, but I like being tested now and then.

Of course, was nice to eat the dead too... As kobolds or orcs!
Pages: [1] 2