Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which tilesets do you use / want to use?

Phoebus (default)
Obsidian
Ironhand
Mayday
Spacefox
JollyBastion
Ascii
Ascii (square)
Aesomatica
Cheepicus
CLA
Dawnfortress
Grimdark
Nordic
RogueYun12
Taffer
Would like to use: Dirt
Would like to use: Duerer
Would like to use: Gemset
Would like to use: Tergel
Would like to use: Wanderlust
Would like to use: Other, please name it.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which tileset do you play and which ones would you like to see? (POLL)  (Read 5563 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Poll is up... please vote, that way I can see which ones to work on/add. :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:39:52 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Which tileset do you play and which ones would you like to see? (POLL)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:42:19 pm »

Meph, just so you know, Nordic is missing some letters in its alphabet. I forget which right now, but you may want to look into that, since it looks pretty nice aside from that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »

Some results from a previous survey:

Most popular tilesets among Masterwork users:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most popular tilesets among users who install mods manually:

Most popular tilesets among all Dwarf Fortress users:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:15:29 pm by jecowa »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 04:22:08 pm »

Jecowa, thank you! That is more than helpful.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 06:17:35 pm »

I stick to default because I assume that will be the most stable.  And I am used to it.  I have seen a few in Youtube vids that I might consider, but haven't paid attention to what they are called.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 08:11:08 pm »

I stick to default because I assume that will be the most stable.
There are no differences in the raws between sets except for colors/tilenumbers.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 08:57:00 pm »

I think he means the tile numbers. Other tilesets seem to have not so much polish as the default one. Ironhand for example is what I prefer to use, but a lot ores/stones look very off. Mayday's brown walls are indistinguishable from mining designation, which is a huge problem.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 09:01:09 pm »

Myself, I use my own tileset, which is not listed in the poll, but is listed in Jecowa's post (where I'm apparently the only user :) ).  I think at least one other person uses it, however, as I've seen a screenshot in r/dwarffortress that was clearly using it.

I stick to default because I assume that will be the most stable.  And I am used to it.  I have seen a few in Youtube vids that I might consider, but haven't paid attention to what they are called.

As long as it is using the default glyph order (no reordering and subsequent raw changes to support that) any tileset will work in vanilla DF with no changes other than in the data/init/init.txt config file (and placing a copy of the tileset file in data/art/, of course).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 02:16:15 am »

Gemset - because 24px is a must on large monitors to avoid The Squint of Death from too small letters.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 03:42:04 am »

I use Phoebus... I liked spacefox...  but spacefox doesn't have the same appeal it use to have a few months back.   If spacefox ever reverted back to using its old inorganic graphics and switched it's walls to something more fluid like Phoebus, I'd use it again.

We need a graphic set update button to switch between graphic sets in a save file.  That's one thing the current MDF doesn't seem to have.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 04:25:44 am »

My 'other' vote went to FnordSet.  I find it really pleasantly clean and readable.  Wish it was a big bigger for my high res monitor, but it's pleasant to look at.

Right now I mostly use Dawnfortress, find it the easiest to read the huge variety of graphics included in Masterwork on.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 05:09:10 am »

I mostly use Obsidian, mostly because this is the first one I've ever used. I'd say Phoebus is better in some ways, but I just can't stand those minecraft saplings it uses. They just don't fit at all.

Since I like my DF dark and gloomy, I've been playing non-Masterwork with Duerer. It just really fits darker color schemes I like so much.  Would love to use it with MW, since obsidian doesn't look amazing with Sorrow colors.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 06:55:07 am »

I think he means the tile numbers. Other tilesets seem to have not so much polish as the default one. Ironhand for example is what I prefer to use, but a lot ores/stones look very off. Mayday's brown walls are indistinguishable from mining designation, which is a huge problem.

could also be that some tilesets use the wrong tiles...
think in 1.16 (? or 15) i tried... grimdark or ironhand (well had no time to play so didnt actually play much from embark since then so no idea what it was) and i think all clay or sand looked like mushroom tiles. and tree tops did seem totally "wrong" too.
but that could also have happened as i was trying out different tilesets/colors after embarking and just copying the new raws into the savefolder... maybe it called the wrong tiles because it used the "old" worldgentileset numbers still. (thats probably why its written that its not savecompartible or so in the launcher) so that sand and tree problem was probably me :D

also i remember i used (think before masterwork) some program where i could mix and match tiles from different tilesets... i.e. dont like the walls from phoebius? swap them with the ironhand walls or so.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 07:17:26 am »

Nelia Hawk: Yes, if you had mushroom walls, you changes the tileset without genning a new world. ^^

The program you remember is called TileGenie.exe. Just have a look in the MasterworkDwarfFortress/Utilities folder. ;)

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 10:56:16 am »

I mostly use Phoebus with Masterwork and my own tileset, Rally Ho! with vanilla.
Phoebus is mostly due to familiarity - it and Mayday were the first tilesets I used.
Rally Ho! means I can find and fix any tiles I feel need tweaks as I play.
Pages: [1] 2