Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71

Author Topic: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]  (Read 101889 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

IC Thread
Small: Adjective.
1: Little in size
2: Few in number or little in amount
3: Unimportant, not worth mentioning (Old World Slang)

Mercy: Noun.
1: Kind or forgiving treatment of someone who could be treated harshly
2: Kindness or help given to people who are in a very bad or desperate situation
3: A mercenary (New World Slang)

These are brave new worlds, and no god ever shaped them for the meek. The endless run of centuries has carved and recarved history, running through the same paths and deep grooves that shaped the endless centuries before. The carvers changed, the tools changed, the audience changed, but the work runs ever on. We live, we love, we strive. We kill, we hate, we die. Small, ugly, misshapen lives, yet they seem to be all humanity has ever sought to carve. Points of beauty, framed by irredeemable flaws.
We left the cradle of one world centuries ago, perhaps tens of centuries ago. Time has become a difficult thing to measure. We flung ourselves into the weft of the universe, relying on pathless tracks jointed by quantum leaps to make our way back home again. Not everyone made it back home, but not all of those who lost themselves to endless stars did die. The sprawl of Earth, the fabled homeworld, grew in size. Those that were once nations of one world began to spread across the heavens, growing endlessly. Growing endlessly even as cancer spread from within. War never really stopped, not when we were so large. Even on fabled Earth, there was always war, always a battle. Even when we were so few that our numbers could be measured to within an accuracy of a few million, there was never a moment undisturbed by the rage of gunfire, never a second that did not hold the screams of the dying. What did we think would happen? Did we think there would be peace when we hurled ourselves into the sky?
If we did, we were fools.
Time passed. Our methods of travel advanced, and we no longer relied on the quicksilver jumps and paths that once were our pinnacle. Lost empires were re-united, and our joyful embrace to see our lost brothers only served to hide the daggers in our sleeves. Nations broke, reformed, burned the skies, and broke again. The years turned, and pioneers continued the march of colonization endlessly while the empires that had sent them forth decayed and broke apart behind them. Time became fluid, places became fluid, names became fluid. The capital of every great empire was Earth, and every great empire had lasted since the beginning of colonization. One empire might have actually contained fabled Earth, but if they did, they wouldn't have known. We made so much history, the history of a thousand new worlds and a hundred civilizations, that the history of one world, and the meager handful of civilizations that had once inhabited it, was lost. It didn't matter. Perhaps it never did. What the most powerful empire said was the truth, everything else was propaganda and deception.
Those that live now are the children of a thousand empires, a blend of old world races and new world engineering. For the most part, they live their lives. Some live as kings, with technology and power unimaginable to the first souls that left fabled Earth, but others live less ably, primitive and backward even by the standards of the souls of old. Humanity as a single race still lives, within accountable deviation, but the great dream of the human race as a single people… That has been shattered, lost forever. Perhaps it was a foolish dream.

There have, however, always been those people who sought to carve their own lives, to make their own paths. The stroke that guides the carving of humanity is not the stroke that guides the individual and, if only for a brief time, heroes have escaped the worn groove that has been cut into history. In the old world, there was little room for these people, little freedom for the different. Now… those that would have been criminals and treasonous revolutionaries, they are assets. Mercenaries, smugglers, freelancers, privateers, bootstrappers, a thousand different names for the people who resist the tie to any one empire, to any home but the one they create.

They are the bastard children of the stars, and you are one of them.

Small Mercies is, to use a rather worthless summary, a game about the future. It's about five sapient races doing the best they can to get along and continue existing in a galaxy where there are so many people, so many cities, so many nations, so many worlds, that significance is all but an impossibility. No sane person would try to make a difference on a galactic scale. It's too big, too immense for the normal mind to even conceive of, but you can damn well try to better you own life, and maybe, if you're very lucky, leave something behind that showed your existence was more than a speck of cosmic dust against an infinite horizon.

I'll be accepting between 4 and 6 mercenaries, based on whatever I feel is appropriate. The systems used in this game are mechanics lite, meaning that who your character is will be the primary determinate in deciding whether or not they can accomplish a task, not a skill score or an attribute value.
---
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Races (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Augmentations (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Profession Ideas (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:07:53 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The information on this post is mostly so you guys can take a look at the example characters and so I can start the lore section, it's almost full already, but I'll just keep moving down posts as needed. Or I'll do what I always do when I run utterly out of space and just start throwing redirects to external sites out willy nilly.

Spoiler: Example Crew (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Deeper Background (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:18:02 pm by Draignean »
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:19:16 pm by Draignean »
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Good gods, 4/6 already reserved O_O
I SHOULD MAKE A SHEET NAO (Although knowing you, it isn't FCFS or First Come, First Serve :P)

PTW SEAL, GO!

Also nice work of art there, dude :3 I like a lot!

Edit: Aha, I confused 4/6 as a fraction or something like that other than (four to six dudes!)
Anyway yeaaa >_>

Still got deep nostalgic vibes from your Lighthouse game :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:05:39 pm by Tiruin »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

looks interesting. i dunno if I have time for a game but I might consider a sheet.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Draignean, long time no see.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wahey, sheet incoming.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:13:50 pm by Pencil_Art »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good gods, 4/6 already reserved O_O
I SHOULD MAKE A SHEET NAO (Although knowing you, it isn't FCFS or First Come, First Serve :P)

PTW SEAL, GO!

Also nice work of art there, dude :3 I like a lot!

Edit: Aha, I confused 4/6 as a fraction or something like that other than (four to six dudes!)
Anyway yeaaa >_>

Spoiler: Sheet for later (click to show/hide)

Still got deep nostalgic vibes from your Lighthouse game :P

Yeah, Lighthouse... I'm still very sad I didn't have time for that to become something real. It got its 40k at nano, but stories are so much more fun to build with active folks like you lot.

Hey Draignean, long time no see.

Yeah, I've been out of the 'verse for a while. Good to be back.

looks interesting. i dunno if I have time for a game but I might consider a sheet.

I aim to interest. And crush people with my might walls of text.

Wahey, sheet incoming.

Wahey, GM waiting!
---

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I'm gonna strain my eyes reading all of that. Character sheet will take some time.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ptw, will work on sheet on friday and saturday.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

Do we, uh, have to make such a detailed background for our characters as the one in the example?

I prefer to keep my characters simple.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do we, uh, have to make such a detailed background for our characters as the one in the example?

I prefer to keep my characters simple.

No, you don't have to. Granted, your success is largely dependent on whether I believe your character can accomplish the task, so it's to your benefit to be well written, but if it's short and sweet that should still be fine.
---

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:39:31 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I don't want to rush, as this seems like a genuinely interesting setting. Reserving, if possible. If not, I can waitlist. Or maybe I might make a sheet in time.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71