Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 71

Author Topic: Small Mercies (OOC) | Mercenary Menageries in Space (6/[6]) [WARNING: TEXT]  (Read 52457 times)

lawastooshort

  • Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Damn him. Is he dead? Or just a bit mangled?
Logged

Draignean

  • Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Damn him. Is he dead? Or just a bit mangled?

Slightly broken, still alive.
Logged
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Damn him. Is he dead? Or just a bit mangled?

Slightly broken, still alive.
Reading up his dialogue, I had a really jarring impression of 'maniacal jerk techie' :-\
That was probably how you described his AHA MERCENARY KILLERS bit though.
But I dislike him. And this makes me uncomfortable. .-.;

Also I keep confusing 'Claw' (Neo-Cat) for Neo-dogs, because 'claw' :P
Even though we have paws :V
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

lawastooshort

  • Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Sorry, was absent for the weekend.

DH: what do you want to do?

Priority I think is to leave... but if we could blow the ship up AND leave that would be best.
Logged

Digital Hellhound

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apologies for delay, lots of work! Please help me come up with a plan.
Logged
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. °No parmesan!

Draignean

  • Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

NP, I've been moving things through my apartment in preparation for the Big Move. So I really haven't been on much for the weekend+memorial day.
Logged
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Apologies for delay, lots of work! Please help me come up with a plan.
Punch the Fin or throw him to the airlock or whatever use him as a shield (Aubrey please help re-hack his techstuff first for benefits) then proceed with power-thingamajig interruption of the wasp-ship.

I just realized why it was piggybacking, and that was because the power was all to cloaking; anywhere else would mean it spending needless power when it could've been used otherwise in better areas [ie weapons]

I'm now wondering if, and given mathematical backgrounds and all these fun projectile formulae, Draig is okay with me attempting thorough prediction on the bore area--releasing the interdiction to forcibly nudge the intruder into a more specific bore exit, then aiming ALL THE WEAPONS (especially bore weapons) to target specific areas of the shield to harass them further.

If it's a shaped shield, or at least one that could divert power to specific areas to focus more there, then this plan may work.

Otherwise I'm stuck without time :x I can't do anything for Sadish's drone at the speed it's traveling to the Flounder due to pressurized woooshings. Y'know other than send in a very concise and brief order. I calculated. :P
So the plan for me is to do the above, alongside wipe the drone (and bore it against the incoming ship maybe :V or at least where the bore exit is predicted to act as a better-placed C&C relay for signal warfare?)
Either way this failure is an opportunity!

I just have to worry about how much time I have left. :D
...We do get a timeslip turn for Sadish right?
Reading back her story--it seems like a ton of stuff is happening on our side, and she just gets a conversation .-.; (Which makes reasonable sense when you put time in perspective too, but it somewhat feels like that's a very stretchy time on our part compared to hers)
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

lawastooshort

  • Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Sorry for a small absence. I will come up with a plan in the next 18 hours.
Logged

IronyOwl

  • Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

So uh

Thanks to the acoustics of the mostly empty cargo hold, Boris could actually hear the tired sigh that followed Medenov's outburst. "Just tell me the yield I need to use. And initiate, pick up bodies gently so you don't leave incriminating drag marks, and make sure you don't bruise them. Because AL-Loy clearly has a forensic analyst who is going to look at all three grams of recoverable tissue and wonder why there's bruising."

Another hiss of disgust. "Initial shell impact from an AL-Loy light defense boat... 1.324 million newtons."
The Fin was clearly cybernetic, and had some form of anti-gravity gear integrated into its body. He floated up at about 75% of room height, carefully placing a box shaped explosive charge on the bulkhead.
"I mean, I'm over here, and you're down there, so it'd be a bit impressive if you could crush my skull. Not that I'm asking for an example," the Fin added quickly, hovering a little higher, "but, uh, anyway... First answer. There's probably a half dozen actual troopers left on board, plus as many initiates. Then there's the officers, and the... unconventional units. So, maybe like fifteen, seventeen sapient creatures and three or four more dangerous but less sapient critters?  Too many for you, and it'll be just as bad if they decide to start sending people down here rather than you coming up."
You have an explosive, and there's some chance it's a shaped explosive since it's supposed to be replicating a cannon shot, that's currently set to- but might be able to go higher- than a light ship's cannon. If fired directly into, for example, a line of soldiers coming down a narrow corridor to murder the shit out of some intruders, it might be very effective. If fired into, for example, the access hatch of a ship generally intended to tank shots with its outside, it might also be very effective. If both of these are true and we're very lucky, it might be laughably effective.

It could also not, in any way, be a shaped charge, and thus unable to do any of that without ripping the ship you're in asunder or being placed directly in the murderer-infested corridors you want cleaned of murderers.


The Fin made several incoherent sounds of disgust and horror, using his harness arms to wipe off the larger chunks that were sticking to him. "Oh.. blyecch! Control! Mercenaries have infiltrated, send a cleaner, I repeat, SEND A CLEA-"

Boris cut him off with a hundred pound cargo crate, smashing the fin upwards into the ceiling. There was  a spark from his exposed cybernetic, then he hit the ground with an only slightly dampened splat.

"... Ow... Would you... be so kind as... to give me a minute so... so I can reboot... a couple things?"

The little blue lights, however, did not fall with the fin. They continued to fly up, touching the top of the cargo hold. There was a single bright spark as they connected, then they fell to the ground with a metallic tinkle.

"Request Acknowledged, Sarraki. Sending a Cleaner."

The new voice, full of static, was audibly piped through from Sarraki's rig. At the same time, a panel in the ceiling clicked open. I looked like a normal interior plate that someone had cleverly cut in half and then reassembled. On the other side was what looked rather like an airlock.
For a simpler but riskier plan, you could arrange the Fin such that he's visible and alive but unable to speak (mouth crammed full of bobbleheads, perhaps?) and placed in a convenient ambush location. When the Cleaner arrives, whatever that is, it investigates the Fin and is ambushed by its actual targets.

Of course, if the Cleaner is a unit of troops rather than an individual, that could be bad. If the Cleaner is too tough to ambush easily, that could be bad. If the Cleaner knows not to eat friendlies and can sense hiding Kings and Crows by smell, that could be bad.


For a third and even less likely plan, you could try to draw more enemies deeper into the freighter, then set off the charge and storm the Nosoi. Boris could hide in a box of stuffed animals, Kesari could use her invisibility, and some wedged or hacked doors could give the impression that you're holed up deeper than you are. You might need the fin's cooperation (or defeating their half-measures) in getting them to stuff all of their valuable assets down here, though.


For a fourth and more likely plan, you could actually hide on the freighter and wait for the Nosoi to dock, at which point their forces will be split (and wrecking the Reunion's shit). Assuming they don't just dump and destroy the freighter en route, which is... quite likely, actually!
Logged
Quote from: piecewise (discord)
We're looking for a high animal torture to work effort ratio here
Step 5: Start your adventure with your 9035 fully armored elephant seal man swordsman companions huddled around you in a circle and immediately retire.

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Fish! D: I forgot my post! (Ok it's there but I didn't press post :V)

Awesome plans IO :3

But one problem ._. I'm on the Reunion--Boris and Aubrey are on the ship. At least I'm not alone now because Varky and Khate and Scarlet are back on ship.

The good thing is that once it bores in, I can hit it with everything we've got. But I do believe they'll have countermeasures so I really really suggest someone to go poke their power grid before they bore in, as I recall bore-systems do need energy and expend it right after the jump so if there's a timed disruption, it'll really hit them after the jump.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 03:10:32 am by Tiruin »
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

IronyOwl

  • Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Right, Aubrey could use invisibility. >_>
Logged
Quote from: piecewise (discord)
We're looking for a high animal torture to work effort ratio here
Step 5: Start your adventure with your 9035 fully armored elephant seal man swordsman companions huddled around you in a circle and immediately retire.

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Right, Aubrey could use invisibility. >_>
I'm real forgetful but I don't think anyone has the power for invisibility .-.;
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

IronyOwl

  • Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Aubrey totally does:
Aubrey felt the rising churn of the ship's bore drive coming online just before she cloaked.

...

Silent and invisible Aubrey slipped through the door Boris had cracked open...
Logged
Quote from: piecewise (discord)
We're looking for a high animal torture to work effort ratio here
Step 5: Start your adventure with your 9035 fully armored elephant seal man swordsman companions huddled around you in a circle and immediately retire.

Tiruin

  • Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Aubrey totally does:
Aubrey felt the rising churn of the ship's bore drive coming online just before she cloaked.

...

Silent and invisible Aubrey slipped through the door Boris had cracked open...
Tankyou! :3

Also Draig: How long do I have until predicted bore comes in?
Also since Sadish's drone was shot out, can I use it as a relay to boost the signal for anything I've to send Boris/Aubrey?

I'm planning to send [something to better any input they've got into the ship's systems] given my earlier scan of those two ships right before the Al-Loy ship blew up.
Logged
Even though accounts vary, everyone has a legendary story to tell.

The Writer's Apprenticeship - A thread dedicated to literary art!

Tales of Shattered Dreams - My RTD, a continuous work in progress.

lawastooshort

  • Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Thanks IO, that is exceedingly useful. I was going to approach this rationally and with the use of some questioning to ascertain exactly what we want/need from this situation. However I am tired.

Now, the main problem is 1/ the hatch already clicking open and 2/ can we set off the charges and 3/ can we reach the charges in time? And 4/ if we set a charge on the airlock, arenít we somewhat risking the atmospheric integrity of the ship we are on and therefore risking having us sucked out through a tiny hole into space? I am not a physicist by any means so hopefully I am incorrect.

Then the secondary but actually more important problem is 1/ what do we do after?  We do not want to die.

So, DRAIGNEAN:
1/ Can either of us see and reach and free a charge in the nextÖ 5 seconds?
2/ Is it likely that if we blew up something that looks like an airlock, horrible vacuum induced spaghettisation of us would result? (or any other vacuum/space/unpleasantness induced death)?
3/ Could Aubrey find a terminal of some sort to access the shipís computer and see if there is a means of escape?

And also so, DH:
1/ I think we should just finish off the Fin. Or throw him at the enemy.
2/ I am tempted to suggest we gather any shaped charges we can, wait for the airlock to open, and throw them through into the Nosoi! Yeah!
3/ I think this has several risks. Better would be to use the charges to stop/slow the Cleaner and just flee from the area.
4/ If we canít find an escape, then we have a big problem. An escape pod? A shuttle? We havenít looked, and I donít know how we would quickly find out. If there is nothing, we have no option but to board the Nosoi, very much like Nelson, it now strikes me.
5/ Presumably, whatever is sent to clean up a mess in which 3 mercies died will be more powerful than 3 mercies.


My ideal solution at the moment would be to get a charge, place it on airlock, set it to detonate as something approaches (??), leave and seal the room and search for a way out. OrÖ the controls to the ship.

But we donít know if we can use the charges or get out.


edit: I liked your third option, IO, but if we were that hard to get out they could just blow the ship up as they intend to anyway. Boarding the Nosoi is the best option since we haven't secured a means of escape...


EDIT EDIT: DRAIGNEAN: can Aubrey fly well enough to reach the charge on the ceiling?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:45:30 am by lawastooshort »
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 71