Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Asin's random ideas/thoughts thread.  (Read 4373 times)

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
Re: Asin's random ideas/thoughts thread.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 11:58:14 am »

Actually, Asin, I know I was just saying earlier that your 'ideas' seem more like 'loose thoughts' but so do your posts.
I'm not sure about bay12 but on most internet forums, making multiple posts (also known as doubleposting, tripleposting, etc.) is frowned upon. It clutters up threads and makes it harder to see individual users posts. Rather, what you should do is refer to individuals in your posts
using the '@' symbol
for example,
I might make the general bulk of a comment towards no one in particular, or addressing the thread
Then I would use the '@' symbol to refer to you as such:

@ Asin : Dude, you don't have to doublepost... there's a modify post button with which you can retroactively change the contents of your post, or to add responses to other forum members who might be looking over the thread (hint: if they're looking over your post and pressing f5, it means that they like you. Or they just happened to be scrolling by randomly.). In any case, people look at threads over days and responding if they're interested, so they'd probably see any edits, especially if you add the conjunction 'edit:' signifying that what is written beyond the semi-colon is intended to be understood as an additive edit, i.e. you wanted to add something to what you said, but didn't want to make a whole new post about it.

Another way to get the attention of other forum users is to use the font size and colour options. But please don't make text too loud because it hurts our eyes, and not too big either because it's distracting when you're trying to read a thread. But please, feel free to use them as you see fit and responsibly and wisely.
Actually, there is one condition: please don't just say random thoughts and turn them up to size 132 in lurid shades. (some are can/be positively eye-torturing). It's as much a case of politeness than anything else. Just common courtesy.
DEFAULT Font, Size and Colour (set to default) is generally expected for most forums, threads and posts, and some even prefer it, but some rare genius have mastered the art of online forum posting and know how to use it skilfully and artfully. The trick is to put a little effort into it, a lot of care, and a bit of restraint (cuz a lil mystery is sexy). In some places it's frowned upon to abuse/misuse the font options.

If you hope to achieve mastery over the realm of internet forums, you have to pass various social hurdles to gain acceptance. Even then, it is arduous and not guaranteed. On the other hand, some places don't have high standards. Like 4chan. But AFAIK bay12 is quite an upscale place, rarely employing "le maymays" and opting for Original Content. Which is a high standard, but we are all worthy to share and contribute, and our worth is our share, and what we share is our worth. Whatever is contributed be it so little but contributed lovingly is accepted.
Still, as long as you're not offensive, some people will downright tolerate your presence. Some will even worship you :o and others will never worship you for they are dyed-in-the-wool at-the-altar-for armok, df=god~df=!fun!, one-transcendent-dwarven-superreality in the workshop of life etc. forum goers. (note: replace armok/df analogy with whatever that forum is about)

@ Evans: I'm quoting your post (which was edited for brevity) as a point to Asin, and also because I want to say something to you further down the page (later in this post. see you in a bit.).
Here is a free soft for doing just that:
http://www.xmind.net/

Not that anybody will care but still it is a good practice to organize your own thinking into something that might be useful  8)

(note to Asin:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@ Evans : That's very kind of you to offer utilities and references to Asin, but more literally, you've offered it to everyone in the thread, presumably because you understood the quality of your post has some kind of relevance to readers of the forum, and included links, OC, and information for others to benefit from.

@ Asin (a (further) note) : Evans' post is the kind of activity or post which garners merit, approval and inclusion.
But there is also a strong human element. Whatever you think is visible in your posts. Whatever kind of person you are can be seen. The same is true when you open your mouth, because expressing yourself shows who you are. That's why you need to use your human nature (some would call it buddha nature) to be interesting/relevant. Otherwise you are no more than a machine or A.I., and a machine can as much write your posts as it can write a play. Actually, some A.I.s are quite good, and even better at posting than humans. But whereas a machine can only copy and imitate what it already knows, a human being can deal with each unique situation with intimate, personal responsiveness. Only a human being can truly act like a human being and respond to their lives with courage, awe, joy etc. that can never come from (or be understood by) a mere machine.

Let your speech pass through 3 doors: "Is it Necessary?, Is it Good?, Is it Right?"
Let your posts pass through 3 doors also: "Is it Boring?, Is it Helpful?, Is it Relevant?"

EDIT: Also be careful when sharing links. Users have a right to be warned about objectionable content.
Don't excessively edit threads or posts if possible. It can be annoying to monitor. Rather try to save the content which is in each post.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 12:53:34 pm »

I understand. It's just that... this is basically my first forum I have ever been on. Thank you for those tips. They'll certainly been helpful.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:56:18 pm by Asin »

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 01:26:23 pm »

I understand. It's just that... this is basically my first forum I have ever been on. Thank you for those tips. They'll certainly been helpful.

It's okay. You don't have to exaggerate anything.
You're the one who said you watched youtube videos. What am I supposed to think? A lot of things aren't obvious on the internet.
Still, even the first time I went on a forum, someone slowed my roll and told me I should write the words out in full rather than use internet slang and abbreviations. It was a learning day for me.

(edited)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 01:31:22 pm »

I have been surfing on the web since I was 5. At least. It's just that most of that time was more or less YouTube.
--Calculates age based on existence of Youtube...
Crikey! When I was 5, home computers existed. But only just...
Home computers did not exist when I was 5.  Get off my lawn.

But note that Asin did not say browsing started when YouTube was new.  Could have been last week, in which case that's pretty impressive spelling for a Kindergartner.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 02:53:26 pm »

It was 2007 when I was 5. So YouTube was still somewhat new.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 02:55:04 pm by Asin »

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 03:20:31 pm »

@Asin
As odd as it might sound, for someone of your age finding DF forum might actually be a very inspiring life experience.

It's hard to explain now, but over time you will notice that this forum is different and full of rather unique individuals - both in rather positive ways.

@74s
Thanks, back when I was 5 there was still Soviet Union in existence.
People where told what to think, but not exactly trained in how to organize their thinking process properly.

I just thought a little help from modern tools designed for aiding this might benefit everyone  8)
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 04:33:59 pm »

(When I was five...  Well, close to Shonai_Dweller. "Thatcher, Thatcher, Milk Snatcher...", etc.)

RI#1: Not too much into BEUs, myself, but procedural body/mentality/skills/abilities generation (affecting the rendered character?) might be interesting. You rolls your dice, you takes your chances, rather than always going for the one with the strong Lightning Punch and learning how to avoid the Water Kick that is your weakness...

RI#2: Also don't know a thing about Chrono Trigger.  Anything like Day Of The Tentacle?  Anyway, if it is supposed to have actual Time Travel, you first need to work out the temporal mechanics of your vision and hopemthat it is doable, but if it's just an excuse for Creative Anachronisms, then there are probably mods going that way already, or try it yourself...

RI#3: I could imagine a play. I'm now imagining the elaborate (and sockfull!) costumes. And yet the face-masks that are coloured ☺s (and, on the reverse of those the filled 'military-colour' for a recruit, ready to turn them round to indicate going on duty (and/or going off in the wrong direction for supplies).  Plot?  Well, I'll leave that to someone who is actually creative in that kind of way...

Any more RIs that I missed?

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 05:01:33 pm »

No ideas you missed. If you wanna know about Chrono Trigger, here is a link to 3 videos that'll give you an idea about Chrono Trigger, its timelines, and some of its rules of time: https://youtu.be/Bl6Uqb9cJag https://youtu.be/dbs9OVW2s0k https://youtu.be/h1OQ7oxrXAs
I included this entire series of videos because they wouldn't make sense without each other. Beware, spoilers for Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 05:03:12 pm »

I also imagined the play not with the :), but with actual faces and such.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 06:54:09 am »

Chrono trigger is a legendary nes/snes game that is on par with final fantasy V (or 3 if you are in USA) (anyway, the last 2d entry).

It has rich storyline revolving around initially accidental and later intentional, time travel, world destruction, preventing world destruction, saving main hero from death (quite a twist) and dancing a prehistoric dance with prehistoric people. Not to mention a singing robot and futuristic racing.

It is simply one of *the best* jRPG in existence, I would say FF3 and Golden Sun series are in this league as well.

Strongly recommend for anyone who enjoys awesome story and epic adventure.

And yes, during your adventures you can literally reach the End of Time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj1MLNWWRms
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 07:28:37 am »

The discussion of "other games" can (should) be done in the "Other Games" forum found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=4.0
AFAIK "DF General Discussion" is for general discussion about DF

here is a thread about "games we wish existed"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=90358.7260

here is a thread about a game called "streets of rogue"... yeah.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160406.0

use the search function on a board to find stuff. Check the topics/threads to make sure your thread is appropriate/relevant

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 09:14:04 am »

Alright.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2016, 07:44:37 pm »

I apologize for double-posting, but I have a post on the DF Modding board. "How to make ape men and 3 weapons?" is what it's called. I will be waiting.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 12:13:41 pm »

Just a general tip, but that's somewhat frowned upon AFAIK. It borders on spamming if you do it more than a few times. Just so you know.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 12:14:25 pm »

Okay.
Pages: 1 [2] 3