Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: FGRP No-Flake Badge of Honour [Meta: Not a game!]  (Read 7092 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FGRP No-Flake Badge of Honour [Meta: Not a game!]
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 10:22:43 pm »

Completion not many of my game have got there.
but i did finish one, Warriors of the Wasteland, it actually had an end but that was me just saying that i've finished as am out of ideas.

As for the rest well i haven't finished them, as i've never really planed an end to any of them so there.
I did deliberately set You're an Urban Vigilante Cyborg to open with eavry thing finshed and game set as a flash back, that didn't hold.

Death to the false emperor, has kind of reached an end point, then it's continued on, gone on hold of a while, got picked back up and is now back on hold till i have an idea of how to send it on some kind of story arc.

The one before that, From an age undreamed of, is well stuck of what to do next, so i'll probably strip out a few of the ideas if i do another sword and sorcery setting.
Saucers in the night didn't go anywhere, a piety as i liked the twist of the men in black being returning dinosaurs/ shape shifting reptiles covertly  help humans to fight of actual aliens, I think i'll rerun it as a one shot team game sometime.

Also now that I think about it maybe the badges should be given more for completing games, rather than just as a "Don't abandon games" deterrent.
Now there's a medal for long running games right?
Because i've just found that i've still got half an update for You're an Urban Vigilante Cyborg sitting around..
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 11:01:17 pm »

To see what you posted, click on your name or the profile button at the top of the page, go to "Show Posts" than "Topics". It shows every thing you ever made.

I remember when you tried to charge people for a game that never ended up taking off :P. As many times as I heard you say how much you love RPG games, I never really see you actually *playing* them, and only occasionally making games that end up crashing down pretty quickly. It always felt like you where in love with the idea of RPGs rather than RPGs themselves :P.
Wasn't that GameboyBlue?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 11:02:55 pm »

To see what you posted, click on your name or the profile button at the top of the page, go to "Show Posts" than "Topics". It shows every thing you ever made.

I remember when you tried to charge people for a game that never ended up taking off :P. As many times as I heard you say how much you love RPG games, I never really see you actually *playing* them, and only occasionally making games that end up crashing down pretty quickly. It always felt like you where in love with the idea of RPGs rather than RPGs themselves :P.
Wasn't that GameboyBlue?

Rose is GameboyBlue, I think.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 11:06:16 pm »

The other issue is that it shouldn't become a stigma to not finish games. This is a community. You shouldn't have to have good ratings to start a serious game.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Weirdo

• Bay Watcher
  • The Best Digi-Tamer EVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 11:06:20 pm »

Wasn't that GameboyBlue?

It is, in fact, GameBoyBlue.

The other issue is that it shouldn't become a stigma to not finish games. This is a community. You shouldn't have to have good ratings to start a serious game.
I agree, but that's not the way it ends up rolling. It's more innate than anything else.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 11:09:23 pm by Weirdo »
I came this far. Erase my scars.

With enough duct tape you could fix anything. In Mother Russia duct tape fixes YOU!
SHIT I LIKE
U rike poetry?
MUTANT CYBERPUNK GAME!!!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 11:10:09 pm »

Wasn't that GameboyBlue?

Ah. That explains a lot, and yet, I'd wager they're separate.

I agree, but that's not the way it ends up rolling. It's more innate than anything else.

I'd take that wager.

That was gameboyblue,  my alt account and persona. Consider it a... helper profile to help me stay organized. Hes a little egotistical though so consider me the heart account. I may be the primary head of this game despite his announcement,  we'll see how quickly this game progresses.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Hero Saga Setup: 97%. Other stuff Paused.
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 12:24:51 am »

Responded to in PM.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 05:07:07 am »

I'm just a busy person and I don't want to get invested in something that dies within 3 days of me joining.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 06:45:12 am »

I'm just a busy person and I don't want to get invested in something that dies within 3 days of me joining.

It's my earnest experience that games which expect great investment are the least likely to repay it (looking at you, high-story games), since it pressures GMs into a death spiral of increasing responsibility and consequent inactivity. The answer, then, is to join simpler games first and foremost, so that your engagement with the game is not merely limited to writing up a novel's worth of character sheet.

Weirdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 11:13:12 am »

It's my earnest experience that games which expect great investment are the least likely to repay it (looking at you, high-story games), since it pressures GMs into a death spiral of increasing responsibility and consequent inactivity. The answer, then, is to join simpler games first and foremost, so that your engagement with the game is not merely limited to writing up a novel's worth of character sheet.
That too. Start simple. Most people don't listen, so they end up doing this exactly.

With enough duct tape you could fix anything. In Mother Russia duct tape fixes YOU!
SHIT I LIKE
U rike poetry?
MUTANT CYBERPUNK GAME!!!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 12:13:42 pm »

True, but rewarding good GMs doesnt protect against this unless it becomes a requirement for joining games.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2016, 12:16:10 pm »

True, but rewarding good GMs doesnt protect against this unless it becomes a requirement for joining games.
And if this ever becomes a case, it would hardly be fair on people who don't finish games.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2016, 08:04:52 pm »

Since completion is so circumstantial, and not necessarily indicative of a good game (Not to mention a bit exclusionary) I think we ought to just go by a trait system.

For example, a list of GM's, and people suggest what they feel describes thier games. So someone might be tagged with "Updates quickly" and "shallow plot" ,but another GM might get tagged "Novel-esq updates" and "Snails pace games".

This would let people browse the list and find GM's that run games like they are looking for without necessarily calling people good/bad GM's. (There's not really any such thing).

It would also be a good way for people to judge the community reception of thier games and know what they need to work on. So it would still provide that rewarding sense of accomplishment when you get recognised enough that people are giving you tags, but wouldn't make people feel excluded because they are "Lower on the scale"

Oh god.. I am that GM. I tried starting a super simple RTD lately because i figured "thats less commitment as a GM right? Simple characters, simple updates, the dice decide everything; then I got a whiff of story and next thing i know my opening update is over 5000 words. I have a problem.  :P The best kind of problem.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2016, 08:13:24 pm »

My games almost all start off simple, but they quickly spiral out of control. See my first AI game. It's going well, but then I say "You know what would be cool? A research system!" And I implement that. Then I say "Ooh! I could have a spoiler for blueprints!", then "I can make a status section for drones!", then "I can make a system where you delegate tasks to mini-AIs and I could make another status section for it!"

The last post in the game had a status section with 3,768 characters. But looking back at that game I already really want to revive it. But once you hit "running 5 games at once" you kind of start to have to reevaluate your life.
Maybe after I finish one of my existing FGs.

But having traits like Helmacon said would actually be extremely cool in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:25:07 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Weirdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2016, 08:19:56 pm »

I'm guilty of this myself. I add in new features because "why the hell not!" and end up with something far more complicated than I'd originally been for. But I like Helmacon's ideas. Kind of a fair middle-ground between tracking but no outcasting.

SHIT I LIKE
U rike poetry?
MUTANT CYBERPUNK GAME!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4