Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fighting the undead  (Read 970 times)

Noel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fighting the undead
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:37:27 am »

I'm victim of frequent undead sieges and can't find any recent posts on dealing with them.

I'm in favor of fighting them hand to hand.

What weapons should I equip my Warrior Dwarfs with and what ratio of Dwarf's to undead would I need to win?

StruckDown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting the undead
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:52:40 am »

Blunt weapons are preferable, unless they have no way of reviving once at your fort. Undead are generally stronger than their living version(depending on what's missing), so you should plan accordingly depending on what type of undead you get. Undead humans will have a size advantage on your dwarves.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 08:41:37 am »

Cage traps are far more preferable to battling them hand to hand. Once you caged them you can smash them or melt them or whatever. plus you can release them in controlled amounts to be butchered by your military.

If, however, you are resolved to fight the undead face to face (you madman) then i advise cutting weapons (battle axes) as long as you can seperate the undead and the resulting viscera from their necromatic overlords. Legendary soldiers can take down undead in about equal quantities without taking casualties. The way to do this is using an airlock. Use two bridges to lure portions of undead into an airlock, shut it up and butcher them squads at a time. Clean the limbs out after each wave, lest a necromancer re-reanimte them. I would use a long corridor (to give the most time to shut the airlock at both ends) and a bend at the end to hide the undead from the sight of your soldiers until they are almost there. If a necromancer is in a wave you will have to deal with some re-reanimate limbs until he is dead, but no biggy, just make sure everything dies, and store the limbs somewhere safe.

There is a good argument to use blunt force weapons, as long as the undead you're facing are and will only be dwarf/human/elf/goblin sized. Blunt force in my experience works terribly against undead cows/giant wolverines/ forgotten beasts, because pulping large limbs is nearly impossibly, no matter how strong the macedwarf.

"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:49:11 pm »

Just be aware, undead were changed recently to care a lot less about self preservation, and they are slower. So if you look at old guides they might be a tad overkill, or refer to things that don't happen anymore.

IIRC, undead can no longer charge, run, block attacks, parry or dodge. They are still deadly though.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite