Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: The Pillared Garden: A Miracle of Rare Device  (Read 24452 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: The Pillared Garden: A Miracle of Rare Device
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2016, 08:33:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eccentrica really wished she'd taken a few more electives at the galactic stripper academy, but, well, she was a focused professional. Still, she'd do the best she could. After all, she appeared to have been led off by herself and there wasn't anyone around to help.

Lacking any means of drawing on the hard ice, she pulled a couple spare bills out of her outfit and began, with the frog people's help, attempting to use them to communique pictographically.

Try to understand the frog people's question, provide visual aids.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:02:50 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2016, 09:02:42 am »

Find my way out of the ice caves. Use the machete to mark the walls as I go, so I can tell if I start backtracking.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:30:07 pm by AkumaKasai »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2016, 04:42:19 pm »

Look for Eccentrica.

[Mind: 11+1]

Eccentrica, fortunately, is pretty easy to find - just look for an audience, or a place that might host one. One of the larger tents hosts her as well as a strangely transfixed committee of Frog People, and all of them presently seem to be staring at the cracks in the warm ice floor, crowding around a great metal spike driven into it, even now emanating enough warmth to reach you at the edge of the tent.

You observe as they engage in what looks like some sort of rudimentary communication, although rather than staring at each other they seem to stare at the reflections in the ice. It's a strange scene to behold (particularly the glimpses you catch in the ice, which do not at all seem to correspond to , and one you're not sure you should disturb.

Oh shit, this isn't good.

"Heeho! What are you doing in the water?"

Shit out Make a simple strand of spider silk and lower it into the water so Heeho can grab a hold of it. Attach one part to the ground behind me so that I don't have to carry all of the weight myself.

Heehoo doesn't seem inclined to answer you as he quickly becomes locked in a staring contest with a highly intelligent, predatory marine worm.

[Finesse: 7+1]

You sling your abdomen over the edge of the jetty and start to spin a long strand of webbing - you decide to go with the relatively sticky kind, just in case Heehoo has trouble parsing your instructions. And sure enough, about half a minute later it does attach successfully to his shoulder - you let it cover a considerable portion of him as the harbor worm watches bemusedly.

Of course, it's roughly at the point where you start pulling the guy up that the worm starts to protest - violently.

[Body: 10 vs. 4+3]

Fortunately, Heehoo is a bit too slippery for the damn thing to pull him back into the water, and with a bit of pulling you manage to have the shiny gentleman dangling on the string in no time, the worm chomping at him from below, going for several leaps that reveal its total length to exceed 30 feet at the very least, but you manage to keep the bastard from having too many essential bits chomped out of him, and soon you have him dragged up to the jetty reasonably safe and sound, in body if not necessarily in mind.

Eccentrica really wished she'd taken a few more electives at the galactic stripper academy, but, well, she was a focused professional. Still, she'd do the best she could. After all, she appeared to have been led off by herself and there wasn't anyone around to help.

Lacking any means of drawing on the hard ice, she pulled a couple spare bills out of her outfit and began, with the frog people's help, attempting to use them to communique pictographically.

Try to understand the frog people's question, provide visual aids.

[Mind: 9]

The faces of dead Fly Presidents may not be the best way to try and communicate, but it's what you got, so you try and make the best of it, showing your many singles to the Frog People, trying to find something, anything that they recognize - one Frog Person in particular takes one of your singles and, recognizing a fly on it, gives it a slight taste, and unfortunately finds it inedible as well as reinforced against most kinds of environmental influence. The elder finally settles on one thing - the Eye of a Million Facets on one of the anti-counterfeit markings, which seems to fill her with an uncommon sort of unease.

You're at something of an impasse here as you try and gesture at them, and they croak at first, but then give in and try to communicate purely through gestures as well, and things lead naturally into a sort of interpretive dance as you try and get each other's ideas of what you want across - you want to find out what it is they're going to do with you, naturally, but to understand that a certain level of communication should be established - you should- wait.

You glimpse something in the floor as the dance continues. The frogs reflect between the cracks, the ice looking like a mirror at first. But the longer you look, the more you see something else. The reflection, you get the sense, only appears twisted, the shapes of your questioners bending into the reliefs of the ancient Frog People. But a funhouse attraction it is most certainly not, for as you stare a moment longer, you notice something - from the estranged shapes of the Frog People something emanates. It is intent, curiosity, coming in clearly like a sudden revelation, but refusing to subside.

Forbidden dances - how, where, why did you learn this, why do you do this? The ice appears to ask these questions of you, as the frogs reflect in it. You step away from the Frog People a little, so as to better assess their reflections. They, noticing you looking down, cast their eyes to the floor as well. First at their reflections, then at yours - you look down at yourself as well, and begin to move and reflect.

It takes a few minutes of experimentation before you have it down - you manage a word, two words, three words - yes, three words at a time is the best you manage before noise begins to set in, but it is enough, enough to send simple messages, to ask simple questions, to introduce yourself in the simplest of terms.

Gained a cursory understanding of ice communication

Find my way out of the ice caves. Use the machete to mark the walls as I go, so I can tell if I start backtracking.

[Mind: 8+1]

See, now there's thinking with your head. Your machete hums to life as you start carving gouges into the walls to mark your passage, and otherwise keep at least one of your hands on one at all times. You go deeper at first, then turn around and go to the left, and then to the right, and through what feel like a million variations of the same goddamn passage, but eventually you manage to come upon a Frog Person, seemingly one that's been ranging rather far from the others. As she beholds your machete, she is confused a moment, but the menacing hum of the plasma convinces her to leave shortly enough - you follow and menace her appropriately to motivate her to find a crowd, which she fortunately does! Wisely you elect to turn off your machete before relative civilization properly kicks in, and the Frog Person loses you quite readily among her largely identical (well, to your eyes anyway) peers and you can refocus on the more important things - namely, getting out!

Rather fortunately, this also seems to be within easy reach - the secret, as it turns out, is not going down or up, but rather you need to go a little ways to the left, then to the right, and eventually you find yourself at an exit, a large icy archway leading to sunny white arctic desert outside, a rather amazingly ancient staircase of a thousand steps at least leading all the way down to what seems to be a valley (or whatever the equivalent is in a giant glacier - crevice?).

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2016, 06:44:02 pm »

Look around the area I'm in. See if I can see anything else interesting from where I am. If I can't, cautiously head down the steps into the crevice.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2016, 11:29:19 pm »

I don't need to breathe, right?

Let it examine me. Be calm.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 28, 2016, 07:42:01 am »

Approach, but do not intervene yet.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 28, 2016, 07:44:37 am »

Eccentrica's ice-speak answers were simple.

Dance to survive.

Where is loo? Must powder nose. Also, who you?

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2016, 11:07:12 am »

"Oi, shiny, welcome back on land. Did it take any big bites out of you? Are you okay?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2016, 01:04:47 pm »

Look around the area I'm in. See if I can see anything else interesting from where I am. If I can't, cautiously head down the steps into the crevice.

It seems these steps are meant specifically to lead down into the crevice, and from the way several other entrances open up along the walls (quite a lot of them in what look like ruptured towers of ice covered in images of ancient wars fought with weapons you don't recognize), none of them with an easy way up or down, you get the feeling they're probably fortifications of some kind, albeit currently unfrogged apart from a few watchers that give you very careful looks.

You look along the crevice - it seems to go on for some distance, and the way seems largely clear. You can't see an exit, but you're fairly sure if one was to exist at all, the end of this crevice would be a good place to put it.

I don't need to breathe, right?

Let it examine me. Be calm.

You've tried not breathing before, and it felt pretty good for about a minute, but then you started again for some reason. Go figure.

Also you're kind of glad you were fished out of the water before you could let it examine you, because from the way it reacted when Waffels pulled you out you're pretty sure it was either going to eat you or maul you horrifically and then play around with the remains until it grew bored.

[Body: 3-1]

You are pretty calm, however, even with a couple of nonessential chunks missing from your body. At least you have that going for ya!

Wound Gained: Missing Chunks

Approach, but do not intervene yet.

You come closer, and suddenly the room turns to you. The Frog People look vaguely alarmed, slightly disgusted, uncomfortably distant from routine as they look between you and Eccentrica for a minute or two. One of them tries to croak something at you, but gives up midway through as it becomes clear you're not really able to respond coherently, and they start to whisper to each other intently.

Eccentrica's ice-speak answers were simple.

Dance to survive.

Where is loo? Must powder nose. Also, who you?

You dance to survive. They dance to proliferate.

The loo is over there - you get an oddly instinctive sense of the exact location, and an even stronger sense that it's probably not a good place to actually powder your nose on account of the overpowering stench that hits you as you examine the fleeting image carefully.

As for who they are, they are many things. The Southmost Frogs, living on the beautiful icy southern edge of Kwar. They conduct preparations for the festival. They are the womenfolk, and their lot is to prepare.

"Oi, shiny, welcome back on land. Did it take any big bites out of you? Are you okay?"

Eh, he's fine. Probably. You don't know how Shiny physiology works exactly, but the way he's not screaming or spurting vital fluids probably indicates the missing chunks weren't essential.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2016, 01:22:02 pm »

Make nonthreatening gestures and approach Eccentrica.

You alright?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2016, 07:35:45 pm »

Craft mirrors out of ice. I must complete the device.

"Thank you for saving me. I appreciate it."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2016, 09:08:28 am »

"No worries, glad to help."

Look around. Do I see any of our other crewmemebers and/or suspicious activity?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2016, 10:59:33 am »

We need help. You need something? We trade favors?

A long, incredulous, moment later.

Really, no strippers?
---

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2016, 11:49:29 am »

Use my spider climbing skills to enter one of the entrances in the walls.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2016, 09:46:59 am »

Make nonthreatening gestures and approach Eccentrica.

You alright?

[Mind: 8+1]

You're not sure you know what constitutes a nonthreatening gesture to this crowd, but considering the way they appear to have taken rather well to Eccentrica, you decide to go with the time-honored method of wiggling your way to victory, and dance over to her side in as seductive a manner as you can manage, watching carefully for the reactions of the Frog People as you do.

In short, they seem confused and more than a little bit dismayed at this. One or two are also mildly intrigued, you think. But you do manage to take up a spot by her side, and safely imitate most of her communication like the trusty backup dancer demands you should be.

[Mind: 9+1]

It takes a few minutes of intently staring at the floor before you begin to understand fully what is happening here, and the basics of the rudimentary kinetic language Eccentrica seems to have established with the help of the floor, of all things. There's images, and they correspond to movements - you're not quite fully proficient in them at first, but in watching the negotiations proceed you manage very slight fluency, enough to communicate the simplest of images on your own over Eccentrica's own efforts, either in lulls during the dance or overlaying her own message. It's a strangely mind-bending experience, watching motions translate into thoughts and forms below you. Almost mesmerizing in its own way.

Insight Gained: Rudimentary Ice Communication

Craft mirrors out of ice. I must complete the device.

"Thank you for saving me. I appreciate it."

[Mind: 9]

You spare a moment to ask Waffels for his tools, and proceed to misuse his hammer and crowbar to try and carve a chunk out of the nearby wall of ice that you might work into a mirror of some sort.

[Body: 12-1]

Driving the crowbar into the ground with the help of the hammer and a good few minutes of banging on it, you manage to loosen a sizable chunk of the stuff, about a head-sized piece that leaves a significant, noticeably warm pothole behind. After giving a confused Waffels his tools back you hold it in your hands and consider its secrets. Or, rather, its reflective properties.

[Mind: 5+1]

It doesn't take long for you to discern that something is off about it, of course. But it's hard to place what exactly. It does look like ice. It feels like ice. And you do think you see some kind of image on it as you turn it about in your hands. You don't think it'd be any good as a mirror, at least not anywhere in the same ballpark of a polished plate of metal. But it does seem vaguely interesting to you somehow as you hold it up. It's not quite ice, you think. A lot like it, yet crucially different.

You catch your observer in the corner of your eye. He seems to have been roused somewhat by your successful attempt at ruining the carefully carved floor of this docking area, seemingly seriously considering the idea of maybe giving you a bit of trouble.

Item Gained: Chunk of Shining Ice

"No worries, glad to help."

Look around. Do I see any of our other crewmemebers and/or suspicious activity?

Other than Heehoo, it seems that everyone's split from the area. Even the Frog People are filtering out apart from a select cadre that are still working on the festering remains of the whale and collectively singing. What others remain seem to be sailors bringing out leftover supplies and various catches on the high seas toward the large exit, with a special group of frog strongmen being tasked with lugging your space capsule away, which they are currently trying to bring out through the entrance to the rest of the complex, but failing dismally on account of it being far too large to fit through. You watch them start to give up and sit down for a think on how else they could possibly handle this.

[Mind: 2-1]

As for suspicious activity, you're not sure how you'd be able to tell it from any other kind of activity. Everybody seems friendly or at least distinctly non-hostile to you. Really, the most suspicious thing around here presently is Heehoo and how much trouble he seems to find himself in at every given moment. Right now he appears to have focused his efforts on ruining a perfectly good bit of ice floor with the tools you foolishly lent him a few moments ago.

We need help. You need something? We trade favors?

A long, incredulous, moment later.

Really, no strippers?

No strippers. But many dancers. The festival demands a dance, to be conducted in the valley which breaks the light. And many, many other preparations. The frog women all seem nervous at the tasks required, and especially at the dances required of them specifically, to say nothing of the ones the menfolk will need to conduct.

But what do you need? And what can you do in return?

Use my spider climbing skills to enter one of the entrances in the walls.

[Luck: 1]

You clamber up the ice unsteadily, scaling the sheer walls of the crevice and up to the small and rather precipitous walkways, a Frog Person looking on with a sharpened circuit board arrow nocked on his bow. As you approach higher up, he begins to draw it, croaking what you assume is a warning of some sort at you. You pause in your upward climb and examine him with your eight eyes. This only seems to unnerve him further, and before you can explain he looses the arrow right at you.

[Finesse vs. Body: 9+2 vs. 11+1]

It narrowly misses your head as you start skittering very urgently downward, the arrow planting itself into the ice below. You proceed downward, which soothes the guard's concerns sufficiently for him to content himself merely with watching you intently rather than continuing to shoot.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12