Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]

Author Topic: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.  (Read 49707 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Small Mercies (IC) | Death is knocking, and he wants to buy a goat.
« Reply #390 on: June 21, 2017, 03:33:42 pm »

Sadish felt like how she supposed a God could feel-that even the slightest action could interrupt these creatures lives so badly. She didn't have the metaphor for it, as Fins lived chaos incarnate, but a terrestrial being would have thought of ant-mounds and what the single swing of a careless boot could do.

She sent a message to Aimasc.

Tell Ear on my behalf that the Lightbringer is thankful that they saved her, and she hopes that preserving life is an ideal they always hold closely to. That will surely not be too damaging to their culture, will it? Especially if I don't say it myself-they might interpret the words of a God too...literally. But, you can probably get that across without that problem.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #391 on: June 22, 2017, 05:35:26 pm »

Scarlet struggled to get back to her feet, particularly since she wasn't keen on accidentally stumbling toward the thing. "Because our medic traded in most of her common sense a few years back for a ball of squijum or something as far as I can tell. At least the damn thing's not out of the pot yet." She eyed the spheres that Varkonius had pulled from his pocket. "If you could kill the thing without blowing the fuck out of her lab, that'd be great. As for Sadish, I have no idea."

1. Assess feasibility of burninating mantis without destroying lab. Also consider non-burnination-based methods.
2. Find comms. Ping Sadish, and Kesari for good measure.
3. Continue trying not to turn into goop.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 26, 2017, 02:32:44 pm »

A frown came over the King's face. He tapped a finger on his chin and shrugged. Today was a day when impossibilities happened on a regular basis.

'We run. We run, and we destroy the Nosoi.'

Blitz the Nosoi, our luck will hold forever! Hope that carrying a preposterous amount of explosives will stop the crew from shooting us. Find transport off the Nosoi or a way to kill everyone else on board.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 26, 2017, 04:26:10 pm »

Well... dying together was... Well, actually dying together was just as bad as dying alone, and probably as likely and as painful. But if the Nosoi was attacking the Reunion, the best thing Aubrey could do with her death was to disrupt the attack. Besides, who knew what Boris might do left unattended.

"Okay, King Boris..."

Deep breath time. Was this going to be like that story she once heard of, with the two humans on the run?

Quote from: Aubrey to Kesari
Kesari. I'm not sure you can receive this message. We are going out, and may be some time. If at all possible, please assault the Nosoi with everything you have. Take extreme caution with Nosoi and its crew. Kind regards, Aubrey.

Follow the mad king.

Try to keep Boris between me and the enemy where possible. Save cloaking for a tactical outflanking maneouvre so that Aubrey can at least use her non-hacking strengths where appropriate i.e. infiltrate and assassinate, particular looking for this chance if Boris gets bogged down in fighting. Popping up and slicing the neck of someone fighting him would be nice, as would silently rushing and murdering whoever is in control.

But generally, follow behind Boris attempting to hack in the following order: 1/doors locked shut behind us so we can't be outflanked; 2/ cameras for visual info on what we are facing 3/ cameras and comms to deny enemy intel on us; 4/ ship's auto-defence mechanisms; 5/ enemies' offensive capabilities as we run into them 6/ enemies' defensive capabilities as we run into them.

Oh!

If we cross any medkits, patch up my bloody wing.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 26, 2017, 08:42:11 pm »

Khate paused a few moments, trying to decide if following or ignoring the clear monster was a less mookish course of action. Fearfully ignoring skittering often resulted in being eaten by said skitterers. Gruffly ignoring skittering to focus on the mission could go either way. Following the skittering tended to result in death (or equivalent genre-appropriate fate) or awesome revelations.

...screw it. If this wasn't her show, it was time for a script change.

Aggressively chase after the arm. Show no fear! Tentacles can smell fear!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 29, 2017, 10:46:55 am »

((I...guess I'll only receive Aubrey's message when the Nosoi jumps in due to interference))

Kesari released the drone controls, planning to issue a self-destruct order alongside throwing in whichever she could add for spite as its last message, and glanced at the ship monitors: Varkonius was freaking out in the medbay, Mickaw's men were getting hammered (by spirits and morale), Khate began to go off visuals and only showed on sensor readings, and her personal timer was about to beep in the approximate range of Scarlet's interdiction failing to signal the bore jump of the Nosoi.

Her tech-harness was scrambling to give multiple orders at once--something she sorely wished she had upgraded a long time ago, to allow multiple digit segmentation in working better with her circlet; working manually with physical input controls was better off if it was at near the speed of thought, especially if your own prototypical control point was shielded from EMP dangers and other 'common or natural' phenomena that would harm technology of its type, sans physical force. She had to prime the weapons and shift their 'attitude' for point defense, issue a statement to the incoming shuttles (at least they were safe), and ready the electronic warfare suite to push its capabilities to the limits. She just hoped Boris and Aubrey were still able and alive--hacking and deploying or playing with another ship's doors and airlocks was always a basic issue missed when shields were the focal point.

Issue a quick self-destruct sequence and whatever I can whip up to spite the enemy at onset of its death (like releasing a very furtive command signal towards the enemy ship--focused solely on generating a response signal post-bore that would outline its shield harmonics//weakpoints)

*Ready up all weapons and shift their focus to point-defense; electronic warfare to aid in defense too--against any point-blank signals or countermeasures taken, but to focus on disruption of the incoming ship's systems, especially any boarding or internal control operations.

Get that bore formula to shift to near the shuttle locations and give an order for them to be ready to shoot into the hangar as I commit this ship to small bore jumps before getting out of this system.

* -  Focus on doing that.

Kesari was very sure that this would take up most of her focus, so she made sure to announce the trouble to the hangar folks--Varkonius would...be better off with less stress. At this moment, she was glad her busy-ramblings were pre-recorded if in case of battle duress like this, all captured by the same computer that contained the electronic warfare suite.

Quote from: Kes :D | Follow the Star!
Heya Khate!
Quick message--I made that star and the tree to represent our current mission's objective. We failed to get the star but it's currently outlining where best to find Sadish. That star leads to where I traced her signal; please check it out ASAP. I've made sure to enclose your area from any pressurized leaking. Take care please; you're following the route right through that lonely corridor--she's approximately at the end.

Quote from: Kes :D | Hi Varkonius!
"Varkonius! I'm speaking through Scarlet's communicator; our medic will be there with you shortly. There are areas where I recall she kept suitable agents for delaying viruses, including those that Scarlet is dealing with (like nanobot strengtheners); they're all labeled conveniently past her- oh dear."
Kesari was glad she could view things through her teammates suit technology, if not visual--at least through other means by sensors.
...She wished she had taken care of everything in Sadish's lab last dinner, before the whole mission briefing and otherwise. That roast Sadish was talking about was still left in open-air, and pretty much a good lab-mark for where things were.
"-ignore that, it's not going to move anywhere unless there is any significant force pushing it out. I do believe Sadish kept her tools for pathogenic agents in the storage right past that mushroom-creature. It's under the oven-burner!-...It's under the Hauloan roast!"
Finishing her speech which would rather take up more time if sent in text, Kesari was glad for her vocal manipulator being able to direct sound energy in a quasi-linear form. It helped accessing speakers that were just three feet from you, and not bothering other sensitive devices just positioned near them.

Quote from:  Kesari :) | To: Shuttle Crews
"Attention station evacuees; we're going to fall into combat stations soon, the ship that had attacked the Al-Loy security in this system is now setting itself upon us. We will keep information about this. Please keep your trajectory stable, and your velocity at the minimum; I will be plotting a bore jump near your location with your position ready to shoot into our hangars. I have programmed a ping to occur right before this will happen. Please take care."

She wondered if Boris and Aubrey were...taking care too. How would she get them out of that ship? The Reunion had no way to bore single personnel--although Varkonius could do that very well...as far as how little she knew of bore jumpers or the like.

She had to disable the Nosoi or its freighter. Configuring the ship weapons to converge on a single point was an...idea, but the Nosoi's power was her primary objective to disrupt. She inferred it was operating on full power to its main components, to be easily switched between systems at will, just like how water can flow from one point to another and remain stable but occupy more if tilted in a rectangular container.

((Also feel free to roll for 'Does Kesari really know where Sadish placed her stuff?' or anything otherwise Draig :P I'm trying to help out and not stall Varky killing us all))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 29, 2017, 11:19:02 am »

Scarlet

Scarlet struggled to get back to her feet, particularly since she wasn't keen on accidentally stumbling toward the thing. "Because our medic traded in most of her common sense a few years back for a ball of squijum or something as far as I can tell. At least the damn thing's not out of the pot yet." She eyed the spheres that Varkonius had pulled from his pocket. "If you could kill the thing without blowing the fuck out of her lab, that'd be great. As for Sadish, I have no idea."

1. Assess feasibility of burninating mantis without destroying lab. Also consider non-burnination-based methods.
2. Find comms. Ping Sadish, and Kesari for good measure.
3. Continue trying not to turn into goop.

The original fungal mantis had been killed via a mixture of lasers, Boris beating the shit out of it, and having the Sled land on top of it repeatedly. This one looked smaller, weaker, and a great deal softer than the original. Its mouth parts looked hard enough to inflict a nasty bite, but its arms seemed to wobble much more than they should. It was an infant, and its soft carapace likely meant that her flamers should have been able to dispose of it rather easily.

That being said, Scarlet would never fire a flamer in Sadish's lab. Not out of courtesy to Sadish, but out of a very professional fear of all of the demi-unknown substances Sadish kept back here. An explosion in an infirmary was bad news, there was a lot of delicate machinery that didn't take well to heat or things going boom, but when you paired that with the laboratory of a Fin who picked anything up that looked remotely interesting... Maybe that odd looking thing on shelf 3 was a children's toy, maybe it was a pilot wave accelerator designed by a forgotten empire. Maybe it wouldn't react at all to being burned, maybe it would rupture in some hideous way and spew some hideously poisonous gas into the air.

Scarlet scooted back a little further from the fungal mantis nymph, sending comms pings to both Kesari and Sadish. Considering Kesari was allegedly steering the ship, it might take her a minute to get back. Considering Sadish was missing, it would probably take her even longer to g-

A response immediately came back from Sadish. The Reunion's system had a message backlog for Scarlet, from Sadish. Apparently the computer hadn't quite been able to match her biometric identification to her current half-melted status until getting her ping. A fact which would be disheartening if it wasn't just one more cherry on top of a shit-sundae already speckled with cherries.

WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF RED-WINE VINEGAR! AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY CREAM! !!!PANIC!!!

REMEMBER THE FUNGUS MANTIS? VERY HOSTILE! BUT SORT OF CUTE, DON'T YOU THINK? !!I LOVE INSECTS!!

AMAZING METABOLISM! AND USEFUL METHOD OF PRESERVING FOOD! I CALL IT ANIMATION-AMBER!

*Deleted messages*

I TOLD YOU ALL ABOUT VERA SO I DELETED ALL THE REST OF THAT.

HAULON ROAST DID NOT COME OUT PERFECT! NEED MORE VINEGAR! I BLAME MYSELF! I LEFT YOUR SHARE IN THE FRIDGE!

UPDATED MESSAGE-PRESERVATION AMBER HAS USEFUL PROPERTIES! ATTEMPTING LIMITED REPLICATION OF NON-DANGEROUS AMBER GENERATING ORGAN IN PROGRESS!

ANIMATION AMBER! AMAZING! CAN STOP THE BIOLOGICAL PROCESS FOR UNTOLD AMOUNT OF TIME! POSSIBLE MEDICAL USE!

AMBER-PLATFORM DEVELOPED SUCCESSFULLY! MAKE SURE THE AWAY TEAM DOESN'T LEAVE WITHOUT ONE!

I MET A NICE FIN AT A BAR. I'VE BEEN OUT OF THE DATING SCENE FOR AWHILE, ACTUALLY FOREVER, COULD YOU GIVE ME SOME TIPS?

UPDATE. DISCOVERED BUD IS ACTUAL INFANT FUNGUS-MANTIS! REPLICATION OF AMAZING LIFE-FORM IN PROGRESS! !!SCIENCE!!

UPDATE. THE TEAM LEFT WITHOUT THE AMBER PLATFORM! MUCH SADNESS!

WORKING ON DEVELOPING BIO-SHIELD TO PROTECT AGAINST VERA! ONLY WORKS FOR ME SO FAR! 100% SUCCESS RATE! BORIS SUCCESSFULLY DECONTAMINATED!

ALSO HE MAY BE GOING MAD. MUSHROOM MEN HIDING IN WALLS OF SHIP? SOUNDS LIKE POORLY WRITTEN SCIENCE FICTION!

!!WARNING!! HUMIDITY MUST BE CAREFULLY CONTROLLED FOR PROPER GROWTH OF OUR HAPPY AND HEALTHY FUNGUS MANTIS! EXACT INSTRUCTIONS LEFT ON FRIDGE! I DO NOT TRUST THESE AUTOMATED MESSAGES FOR EXACT FORMULA!

I'M OFF TO NEGOTIATE WITH THE LEADER OF THE MERCENARIES! I'M SURE HE IS A DECENT FELLOW AND COMPLETE OPEN TO REASON. HE BROUGHT A !!BOMB!!

BY THE WAY, I NAMED HER 'SCYTHES'! BE NICE! COULD YOU SING TO HER IN VAT? MUSIC IN GESTATION STAGE COULD SOOTHE FUNGUS-MANTIS BAD TEMPER! SCYTHES HAS AMAZING ACOUSTIC ABILITIES THAT NEEDS TO BE EXPLORED! USES SOUNDS TO COMMUNICATE? HUNT? CERTAIN FREQUENCIES USED TO DISRUPT PRESERVATION AMBER MOLECULAR STRUCTURE TO ENABLE FEEDING!

REMEMBER TO WEAR YOUR LAB-COAT AT ALL TIMES! THE WHITE AND BLACK ONE! I MADE IT FOR !!YOU!!

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 03, 2017, 07:33:13 am »

'We run. We run, and we destroy the Nosoi.'

"Wait. King Boris, how do we get onto the Nosoi? You can't fly, and I'm injured. Perhaps we would be better off just running, but not to the Nosoi? I can't immediately think of anything else we can do, except try to seal that thing away from us."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 04, 2017, 02:01:50 am »

Boris scowled as reality reasserted itself and he realized his chosen course of action was, in fact, impossible.

'Then we, um, withdraw and search for escape on this freighter,' Boris said. If there was none, they were just as dead as before. 'I'm counting on you to find us a way off this ship, Aubrey! Space suits will do!'

Retreat! Seal the hangar doors. Search for A) escape pods, shuttles, space suits and B) reactor core or anything equally explosive to detonate with our charges as we leave.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 05, 2017, 07:20:06 am »

"Right. Please prod me in the right direction if I get lost in the ship's systems and appear to be somewhat absent..."

This, although immediately terrifying, was something Aubrey was good at: stealthy (kind of) exfiltration with the goods. In this case the goods being their lives, but never mind...

Also retreat! Cover the retreat by trying to mindhack electronic doors shut as we go. Lead the retreat by trying to hack into the ship's systems to find what we want: shuttles, escape pods, space suits (torpedoes??) in that order. Try to do this by searching for a trace of an electronic signature/signal; alternatively try to see and cycle through the ship's CCTV as quick as I can whilst keeping on the move. What I'd really like to do is to lead the Cleaner into somewhere sealed next to an airlock, and then remotely open said airlock to suck the fecker into space. But just delaying it enough to get to an escape would be fine...

Presumably the... cargo bay would be near a shuttle bay?

"You will forgive me for noting that in future I may place a greater weight on self-preservation in my decision-making process before following you onto unknown ships, your majesty. Let's go."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #400 on: July 05, 2017, 01:28:10 pm »

Sadish's backlog was, not unexpectedly, filled with various things that may or may not have been of note, except for the last three. One of which made her deeply concerned for the Fin's safety - even moreso than she already was - and one that was potentially useful. Sadish was a bit. . . off . . . but she was right more often than she was wrong.

Ping Sadish one more time to see if she can actually reply at the time being. Search for audio files on personal communication devices that Sadish would categorize as "soothing." Which may or may not be such to humans. Or anyone but Fins. Or anyone but Sadish.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]