Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: In case you are wondering what I've been up to, I'm trying to make a tileset.  (Read 3922 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I figured you would've used actual muskets rather than blowguns for humans.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I'm making two sets: Vanilla and MDF. Currently working on the vanilla set, because its hundreds of sprites less to make. Once that is done, I do the MDF stuff.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh, okay then. That makes sense. I dunno why I was thinking this was just for MDF.

Still, coming along very well.  :D

Metaltooth

• Bay Watcher
  • Icon of Sin
    • View Profile

I'm making two sets: Vanilla and MDF. Currently working on the vanilla set, because its hundreds of sprites less to make. Once that is done, I do the MDF stuff.
Ah ok!
I am excited to see the masterwork built tileset when its fully ready
o̗͕̘̯͈̺r̬e̶̻̗̲̹m͎̘̹͓̦̼̟͝o͕̮̦R͇̥̻̭͟ ̕ņ̗h̪̰̱o̢J͚̬̲ ̧͍̫̜̲͔̺é̤̩̫m̗͍̘̟͖͠ l͇̫̪͖͓̰͝l̕i̮k̻͈̺̱̗ ͙̱̠̥̳̱̘t҉̪s̢͈u͙͉̘̮͘m̳̜̞̳̞̝ ̴͖̠̖̤͕̱u̱̬͚̗͍͞o̢y̴ ̶͚̝̳͇̞e̢̠m̥̤̳̙̣̙̭͢a͚̳̞͉̭g ̛͙e̤̫͉̜͉͘h̗̘̱̤͚͘t̜̺͕ ̴͙͍͉̮̯ņ̘͉̼͓̲ͅi̜̻̰̫̘̠͕w̧̲̘ ̧͔̯o̱̳̘T̗͖

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are we there yet? :D
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Hahahahaha, no.

256 main tileset.

About 1500 tiles for items.

About... 0-50.000 (depending on how many I want to do) for other TWBT stuff and intelligent creature profession sprites.

About 1400 sprites for civ-creatures.

About another 600 sprites for fortress defense.

2000 sprites for mod creatures.

2800 sprites for vanilla creatures.

And then there are plants. And trees. And grasses. And stone types. And gems.

Obviously I'm not doing all of them, but it will take quite a while.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Find a way to script sprite creation.  Color changes, overlays, etc., can be done programmatically.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Wont help much. color changes and overlays I already do with different photoshop layers, they are quick.

I think I do civ-creatures, pets, procedual creatures, a 256 tileset, a text tileset and 1-2 256 item tilesets before I release anything.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so do the "leather/chainmail/plate armor" sprites actually work depending what armor the guys wear? i guess that might be the whole "override" thingy to make this possible?

i wonder if the military commander can be identified easily in a squad... seems mostly he "just" has a golden belt that differences him from the others (and bigger shoulders i thinlk). but that is probably fine as overall the look of the sprites is not ridiculously crazy with full golden spike armor etc.

and yeah.. dont worry about completing the 50000 creatures or so... all the basic most used stuff first (looks amazing already).
nothing stops you to add a few more sprites every week though, if you are up to creating more for all the other stuff. who knows... maybe next year you got sprites for EVERYTHING :)

it will be awesome to have a "masterwork tileset" anyways.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:27:43 pm by Nelia Hawk »

StevedaG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

when you are releasing that tileset?

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hahahahaha, no.

256 main tileset.

Hehe, well as much as I love MWDF, I'm pretty excited about you doing this tileset. There is a lack of larger sized, nice tiles, at least I have not found any really good ones yet.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

thinking about tilesets and sprites i got the idea of combat weapon effects... little weapon slashes or thrusts or hit sprites... similar to like comics or older rpgs did it.
the question is if it is possible to create them right... i.e. soundsense can read the log and throw out sounds if someone gets hit by a sword. but can "something" read the log and "find" the two entities that are hitting eachother and then adding a transparent "swordslash" sprite over the one who gets hit?

i guess they would have to be transparent (so they go over the other sprites?) for 8 directions (where attacker and the one getting hit stand next to eachother) and for each weapon type... i.e. dagger (a little slash or poke), sword (a larger slash), spear (a thrust?).
maybe even what type of attack it was.. i.e. getting hit by a spear end is a edged thrust and getting hit by the wood is a blunt slash?.

i.e. like these http://img10.deviantart.net/3801/i/2011/269/c/a/ichigo_skul_cald_effect_sprite_by_axellkl-d4azzha.png
of course not animated... just one sprite for each weapon... maybe if it would work out rotated depending on where the attacker is hitting from.
or this overlayed over who gets hit by a spear on each hit: http://img06.deviantart.net/c51b/i/2013/200/7/5/new_alucard_spear_by_esco1979-d6e9va4.png the left arrow-y effect.
or for a sword or axe one of these would appear: https://vxresource.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/slash_effect_002.png maybe sword the top left one, knife the 4th from the top left one, or axe the 2nd from bottom 1st from left or a halberd the 2nd from bottom 2nd from left.
or for a bite some animal teeth effect.
or a shield effect when a hit is blocked by a shield.
well just references to show what i mean.

basically you can see here in the first 20 seconds what i mean with combat effects over enemies etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bllk28GN3Wk
sword slashes over the skeletons and hit bubbles over the character when the skeletons punch. (also, one way heroics is amazing :D)

maybe someone even knows of a mod that already tried this?

but maybe it would be "too much effects" in combat with people flashing 4 times a second or so... (if i remember that undead cat fight in my human outpost that went forever with 4+ hits every second or so...)
but it might also look nice when a squad charges and you can see who gets hit without checking the reports screen...
well just a random idea.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:47:51 pm by Nelia Hawk »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Animations are not possible.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Animations are not possible.
I wouldn't say "not possible," but it would be an effort on the scale of TWBT.  In other words not feasible at all, and certainly out of scope for Masterwork.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't suppose Dwarf Fortress can play animated PNGs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3