Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Space Haven - RimWorld inspired spaceship colony sim.  (Read 81344 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Space Haven - A game inspired by Rimworld, FTL and original X-COM.
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 03:02:19 pm »

Sounds like a fun game, as others have said. Whenever a demo or something pops up, I will definitely give it a go.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 03:22:08 pm »

Yeah, very intriguing.

i wonder how ship to ship combat will be handled. it could be very discouraging to get parts of your designed ship gets blown to pieces every once in a while.
i am also assuming there'd be ship boarding?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 06:37:06 pm »

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it assuming it was basically designing a sort of blueprint of the ship that, when damaged, just needs to be reparied back to the blueprint instead of being gone forever.

Assuming you have the supplies, of course :P

Honestly, my main interest is mod support. Because having mods sounds sun. With things like the inevitable star trek mod.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 09:12:47 pm »

Watching to post.....  Er To Post Watching..... Washington Post

:D   Anyway looks good.  I like spaceship design games, but more when the interior of the ship has actual form and function I need to design around.  So this looks like it would scratch an itch.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 01:27:29 am »

When i saw the pics, first thing that came to mind.

http://www.starcommandgame.com/media.html

Funny thing, they are like 3 year overdue now? And still a buggy piece of ... Unplayable. I really do hope they succeed because inspiration are all game i loved and wished to would be mashed up.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 02:07:23 am »

The concept is interesting, but it will succeed or fail depending on the execution. I hope it will capture the charm of the compared games, but have things of its own as well. Good luck.

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 02:43:42 am »

Yeah, very intriguing.

i wonder how ship to ship combat will be handled. it could be very discouraging to get parts of your designed ship gets blown to pieces every once in a while.

Ship to ship combat is still very open. Our thoughts right now are around boarding and fighters fighting it out. We will see what we come up with once we focus more on planning the combat!

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2016, 02:50:47 am »

The concept is interesting, but it will succeed or fail depending on the execution. I hope it will capture the charm of the compared games, but have things of its own as well. Good luck.

You couldn't be more right about that :) Fortunately we do have some experience, from both PC and mobile games. That will help immensely. That said we believe the community can guide us the
most, make the game the best it can be. So that's why I am here!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 04:13:29 am »

I hope you throw in a "vent the oxygen" feature to help repel boarders/invaders. Even if it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense (surely they've got space suits), it was always fun in FTL and promoted a certain amount of evil cackling.

Maybe acid and poison spray options as well, for the better equipped/suited or more resilient attackers, with cleanup costs or deterioration of the room that you just filled full of evil afterwards.

Even if it was just an air venting option, it would be nice if there was some risk involved. Rather than an entire door-system level that was 100% reliable and ship/colony-wide, have individual bulkheads as components. Some with high resistance to melee/breeching, some to venting procedures, some to chemical attack, and some all-rounders. That way, when you do vent a room, there's a chance of the surrounding bulkheads buckling or being compromised by toxins, potentially creating a catastrophic chain reaction of accidentally venting/flooding half of your ship/colony when you only wanted to do one room. If repairs were necessary to seal air/toxin breaches during/after this, it would make you really think about if you wanted to simply fight them or just suffocate them. It would also give another dimension to ship/colony and room design with the consummate parts required for the different types of doors and the venting/flooding procedures available to you, giving a bit of a DF "trap room" feel to some parts of the colony. As well as varying hazmat suits available as equipment options for some crew members as another "job type" for them to do, to deal with the (un)intended catastrophes resulting from this.

If you do add a bit of a temperature/radiation system on top of that, you'd have a very satisfying system for setting up defenses that didn't require guns, but with pitfalls, costs and risks involved to it. Set a reactor to sub-critical-overload to flood a room or five with radiation? Even if it'll tick up to "over-critical mega-death-explosion" if you do, and you've got no radiation hazmat suits to deal with it? Sure! If the threat is big enough. You'll still have to send someone in there to fix it anyway, and as they say, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and we ran out of redshirts two sectors ago......"

The bulkheads could be pretty reliable (65-98%), depending on the venting/contamination that they're securing, but we all know how often you can fail 2/3rd chance rolls in a row sometimes. Maybe even just have a "standard" door level ship/colony-wide, but with upgraded individual doors available to set up things like this. Depends on how you want to do progression and itemization in the game. Some rooms could even have decontamination bonuses, so door breaches are harder or can lower the damage around them by a large percent. Bio-lab near/in a toxin trap room? No biggy, that's half the reason you've got toxin traps in the first place :)

You could even fill a room full of acid spray to eat through their suits/armour, wait a bit, *then* vent some rooms, ensuring suffocation to the well equipped/suited intruders invading your ship. While hoping the acid doesn't start to eat through your science lab next door, during or after the attack. At worst, you've made their armour crappy and caused a few little (big?) problems and costs for yourself. At best, you've got a maniacal grin on your face due to your evil genius in ship/colony planning while you watch your enemies die in agony. It might have cost you some of your acid spray, and putting a crappy non-combat hazmat suit on someone, but it's priceless.

Of course, it goes the other way too:
"Sorry Cap! We killed all the invaders, but now half the colony is full of poison gas. I told ya the doors needed upgrading!"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:55:20 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 06:47:36 am »

I guess what I'm saying is, keep it internal on ship/base design. It's space. What's outside can most certainly kill you. That doesn't mean you need complicated systems, simply ways that those systems can be compromised by problems, rather than a simulationist outlook. That's where events and enemies and game progression comes into play. Far easier to code for, and provides just as many challenges and ways of approaching them.

If it's about spaceship/colony management, with super-future-tech, damn well make sure that what's inside the ship can kill the player as well, but conditionally and often player-drivenly so. So it's your thing to use and design, not entirely environmentally driven. DF colony design vs Rimworld problem management, with exterior events being coded for, not simply a hassle to deal with like it is in both those titles. FTL style events, but a tiny bit deeper. With mega-FTW-style-weapon designs optional, but as a standard gameplay feature.

That's what I'd love out of this.

Upsides and downsides, with nice little "all-rounder" standard tech. Tyranid sector? Better have some toxin resist, and your poison deathtrap probably won't work on them either. Cybermen? Thank god for the acid-mist rooms and hacker crewmen. Wow, I even managed to "Spock" someone for the achievement in the last human sector, while wiping them out :)

This is just thoughts on ship boarding/colony invasions and ship/room design. I have no idea what you've got planned for ship combat yet.

But telling stories that aren't essentially busy-work isn't hard, it's just hard to do well. Player driven is easier than environmentally driven though, especially if you want it to be satisfying.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 07:57:53 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2016, 11:13:42 am »

Really liked Battlevoid: Harbinger, so keeping a eye on this one. Hope it will be able to run on older PCs

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 12:59:40 pm »

Looks interesting. I'll keep my eye on it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 12:04:11 am »

Yeah, very intriguing.

Ship to ship combat is still very open. Our thoughts right now are around boarding and fighters fighting it out. We will see what we come up with once we focus more on planning the combat!
Tiny poke on this part--I usually visualize ship to ship combat in terms of 'pretty much like our modern technology scale of battles', which can be easily translated by distance in *larger than visual range* measurement units. Those thoughts pretty much work out :3 What I can recall in mind is how FTL did it--either by "split" screen battles where the distance is assumed (and you can just launch those boarding craft or tiny fighters at each other), or by a tiny indicator with distance in said measurement units.
I may be nitpicking though >_< but I like the pseudo-realism//sci-fi style of realism.

Really liked Battlevoid: Harbinger, so keeping a eye on this one. Hope it will be able to run on older PCs
*high-five*!

Also as far as early beta may go--keeping things simple in design with potential for modding or further improvements can help a lot more than going for all the concerns being sent your way early on. :D

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 03:31:07 am »

I hope you throw in a "vent the oxygen" feature to help repel boarders/invaders. Even if it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense (surely they've got space suits), it was always fun in FTL and promoted a certain amount of evil cackling.

Maybe acid and poison spray options as well, for the better equipped/suited or more resilient attackers, with cleanup costs or deterioration of the room that you just filled full of evil afterwards.

Even if it was just an air venting option, it would be nice if there was some risk involved. Rather than an entire door-system level that was 100% reliable and ship/colony-wide, have individual bulkheads as components. Some with high resistance to melee/breeching, some to venting procedures, some to chemical attack, and some all-rounders. That way, when you do vent a room, there's a chance of the surrounding bulkheads buckling or being compromised by toxins, potentially creating a catastrophic chain reaction of accidentally venting/flooding half of your ship/colony when you only wanted to do one room. If repairs were necessary to seal air/toxin breaches during/after this, it would make you really think about if you wanted to simply fight them or just suffocate them. It would also give another dimension to ship/colony and room design with the consummate parts required for the different types of doors and the venting/flooding procedures available to you, giving a bit of a DF "trap room" feel to some parts of the colony. As well as varying hazmat suits available as equipment options for some crew members as another "job type" for them to do, to deal with the (un)intended catastrophes resulting from this.

If you do add a bit of a temperature/radiation system on top of that, you'd have a very satisfying system for setting up defenses that didn't require guns, but with pitfalls, costs and risks involved to it. Set a reactor to sub-critical-overload to flood a room or five with radiation? Even if it'll tick up to "over-critical mega-death-explosion" if you do, and you've got no radiation hazmat suits to deal with it? Sure! If the threat is big enough. You'll still have to send someone in there to fix it anyway, and as they say, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and we ran out of redshirts two sectors ago......"

The bulkheads could be pretty reliable (65-98%), depending on the venting/contamination that they're securing, but we all know how often you can fail 2/3rd chance rolls in a row sometimes. Maybe even just have a "standard" door level ship/colony-wide, but with upgraded individual doors available to set up things like this. Depends on how you want to do progression and itemization in the game. Some rooms could even have decontamination bonuses, so door breaches are harder or can lower the damage around them by a large percent. Bio-lab near/in a toxin trap room? No biggy, that's half the reason you've got toxin traps in the first place :)

You could even fill a room full of acid spray to eat through their suits/armour, wait a bit, *then* vent some rooms, ensuring suffocation to the well equipped/suited intruders invading your ship. While hoping the acid doesn't start to eat through your science lab next door, during or after the attack. At worst, you've made their armour crappy and caused a few little (big?) problems and costs for yourself. At best, you've got a maniacal grin on your face due to your evil genius in ship/colony planning while you watch your enemies die in agony. It might have cost you some of your acid spray, and putting a crappy non-combat hazmat suit on someone, but it's priceless.

Of course, it goes the other way too:
"Sorry Cap! We killed all the invaders, but now half the colony is full of poison gas. I told ya the doors needed upgrading!"

Great ideas!

We have a tile-based gas flow system already in the game. It's very cool :) We have oxygen, CO2, smoke, and temperature. We have different view modes that show the levels of these gasses in the ship. Different facilities generate a different amount of heat and so on.  We can make more, it all depends which of these are going to create fun game mechanics. You are right that utilizing this system will probably make for lots of fun interacting with the characters on the ship.

We are going to look into how we could utilize this system to the fullest, still keeping things simple. This system could easily become a bit complicated coding wise, but I really like the idea about the doors having certain qualities regarding gasses. That would allow for more depth when you build the insides of the ship, and plan your defenses against boarding using unconventional ways, gassing the shit out of them :)

Keep the ideas coming! Especially "cool little things", like the FTL style air venting to kill an enemy. Evil cackle things, and whatever comes to your mind.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:53:01 am by AdmiralGeezer »

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 03:56:55 am »

Created a subreddit, for the redditors interested to subscribe there!

https://www.reddit.com/r/spacehaven
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20