Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Space Haven - RimWorld inspired spaceship colony sim.  (Read 81342 times)

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space Haven - RimWorld inspired spaceship colony sim.
« on: October 05, 2016, 06:37:17 am »

About Space Haven

Space Haven is a spaceship colony sim throwing you in charge of leading a patched-together crew of civilians in search of a new home. It’s a base building game where players must build spaceships from the ground up tile by tile, create optimal gas conditions, manage the needs and moods of their crew, encounter other space-faring groups, and explore the universe in a self-built haven among the stars.

After cataclysmic events leave Earth descending into chaos, what remains of humanity will have to vacate or perish on a planet they once called their home. Only the privileged ones, those with access to a spaceship or capable of building one, have a chance at survival. These spaceships, temporary havens, are the new Eden for humans venturing out to survive. Lead your crew and explore the universe as you search for a new place to call home.

Space Haven is inspired by games like RimWorld, Spacebase Df-9, Oxygen Not Included and Dwarf Fortress.

--- Things have come a long way! Kickstarter trailer below: ---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va7XjJk-05o

A magical number of 7777 backers and $260k raised on Kickstarter!

We've arrived at the finish line! This past month has been amazing and your support has been incredibly validating. We have been crafting Space Haven with love for almost three years now, and we are extremely grateful that we get to continue developing it further. You have made it possible, thank you!

Wishlist and follow Space Haven on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/979110/Space_Haven/

Follow Space Haven either by joining our mailing list or following on one of your favorite channels:

If you want to know more of the game check out the Steam Store Page or visit: http://bugbyte.fi/spacehaven/

You can hop in on Alpha right now! We have late backing available through our own store, and Alpha Access is sent within 24 hours:

http://bugbyte.fi/store
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:30:27 am by AdmiralGeezer »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Space Haven - A game inspired by Rimworld, FTL and original X-COM.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:04:32 am »

WOO, it's finally here :D
I got the update by email but then accidentally deleted it before I could click on the link and Eeeeee-(*squee'ing noise*)

Personally, from experience in seeing other people--cosmetics can be laid as an aside for characters as an idea, but their basic details (like, the ability to customize at least 1 character, from gender to otherwise) is important (especially if there is a sense of focus on the station crew). I'd also like to categorize items based on their details--so that there won't be image overlap like as in the pictures (there's some kind of turret that overlaps the others, and may be difficult to put as-is as a display picture unless categorized). Maybe a textual bar can help there--with the names in the list being like:
Quote from: Probable Concept
Quote from: Weapons
Laser1
Laser2
Cannon1
Cannon2
...And a mouse-over shows the details and image of the finished part? (Also the gray bit there is more of 'you don't have access to/research on this, so you can't use it yet', but still with the mouse-over).

There's also the notion of the gamer who likes battle, versus the gamer who likes the universe--those who experiment and explore every bit they can reach--that in regards (for both groups), the depth of content is pretty much as important as how variable the content is. :D (as in, what can one do with content).

But the primary factor here is developer feedback; knowing you dudes, you are pretty much going well there :) Hearing from the developer with concerns from the players is always a nice touch--and though it's not that much focused in games and job analysis for those, a developer's attitude is foremost a quality in their games; people also talk about the devs and them as a person too.

OH, and if it's possible, if you plan to use scripts or such--can you add subtitles or warnings if there are any garish lights and such? (The usual sound/music options or lighting options can help too), because some of us have hearing difficulties or are light-sensitive and such? It's a small order for the gaming community, but inclusivity is a star in my book :) There are few games with that niche filled out.

Edit: For the reader--AdmiralGeezer is also the developer of several Battlestation games (like the roguelike-like Battlestation: Harbinger); this isn't their/their team(?)'s first game, and given the updates on it.

...I think it got renamed though, unsure on that part. I remember there was talk on that though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:35:58 am by Tiruin »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:23:35 am »

Looks interesting! Spaceship management is still a niche with room for a good game. PTW
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 07:27:08 am »

Looks interesting! Spaceship management is still a niche with room for a good game. PTW
I'm unsure if spoilers help :< resizing just makes them appear smaller. It's the original uploading site size that affects the bandwidth (but not by much given its merely pictures); you can disable signatures/avatars to help your bandwidth though! :3

To resize pics:
Code: [Select]
[img height=x]image code here[/img]
[img width=x]image code here[/img]
[img height=x width=y]image code here[/img]
You can use any of the above--putting only one as the input will automatically scale the other. The last gives specific dimensions for those who want the image resized to their customizations. The "x" or "y" pertain to pixel values.

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:30:43 am »

Hi! They are .jpg and take 600kb in total. Hope that is not too bad?

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 07:35:12 am »

WOO, it's finally here :D
I got the update by email but then accidentally deleted it before I could click on the link and Eeeeee-(*squee'ing noise*)

Personally, from experience in seeing other people--cosmetics can be laid as an aside for characters as an idea, but their basic details (like, the ability to customize at least 1 character, from gender to otherwise) is important (especially if there is a sense of focus on the station crew).

There's also the notion of the gamer who likes battle, versus the gamer who likes the universe--those who experiment and explore every bit they can reach--that in regards (for both groups), the depth of content is pretty much as important as how variable the content is. :D (as in, what can one do with content)

But the primary factor here is developer feedback; knowing you dudes, you are pretty much going well there :) Hearing from the developer with concerns from the players is always a nice touch--and though it's not that much focused in games and job analysis for those, a developer's attitude is foremost a quality in their games; people also talk about the devs and them as a person too.

OH, and if it's possible, if you plan to use scripts or such--can you add subtitles or warnings if there are any garish lights and such? (The usual sound/music options or lighting options can help too), because some of us have hearing difficulties or are light-sensitive and such? It's a small order for the gaming community, but inclusivity is a star in my book :) There are few games with that niche filled out.

Edit: For the reader--AdmiralGeezer is also the developer of several Battlestation games (like the roguelike-like Battlestation: Harbinger); this isn't their/their team(?)'s first game, and given the updates on it.

...I think it got renamed though, unsure on that part. I remember there was talk on that though.

Yes, that is correct. Our previous game is named Battlevoid: Harbinger now :) A giant huffed and puffed and we had to change the name. It's alright though, it was definitely our fault as well. Let's just say we did not choose the name for the series very well. It's behind us though, and all is good. It made us do some extensive research on this name so perhaps that's a very good thing!

Sound and music options will definitely be there, what would Totalbiscuit say it they weren't? :) We'll keep the lights in our minds! Try to not make them too shocking.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 07:40:16 am »

TBH, I have decent Dutch internets, so there's no bandwidth issues for me at all. I've been taught though that it's general polite forum etiquette to spoiler large pictures to help with bandwidth, and the OP starting with a (very nice looking, don't get me wrong) wall of pics might put off some folks from actually taking a look at the whole post, which would be a shame.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 07:55:24 am »

TBH, I have decent Dutch internets, so there's no bandwidth issues for me at all. I've been taught though that it's general polite forum etiquette to spoiler large pictures to help with bandwidth, and the OP starting with a (very nice looking, don't get me wrong) wall of pics might put off some folks from actually taking a look at the whole post, which would be a shame.
I think the best answer to that is resizing then, rather than the bandwidth issue. :P
But on that note, it is etiquette like that here, given people usually browse from either their phones or from personal devices. ^ ^ The .jpg file however does not make it load unless able (it loads per line), so that's a point for resizing.

ON the note of suggestions--I do hope radiators and convectors are part of the external design (because SOOOO many spaceships somehow LACK these in games!), or are parts themselves which will aid internal things like temperature or maybe even fires (if the technology level has risen quite much)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 10:02:28 am by Tiruin »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 08:56:59 am »

Oooooh, looks interesting. I kinda always wanted a Space Station 13 game where you'd build something that complex from scratch, with it slowly becoming self-sufficient. Looks like this won't be as complex, but might start scratching that itch :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 09:53:05 am »

gonna ptw this, looks promising

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 09:58:22 am »

I'm 90% sure the images are still downloaded if spoilered, par experience in the past with a slow connection

So anyways, is this what I'm imagining, a sort of Rimworld style game but in a Starship wandering about the universe?  I always contemplate such a game whenever I play Rimworld. (abit with rimworld style graphics) Will definitely try to keep an eye on this.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 10:32:38 am »

I'm 90% sure the images are still downloaded if spoilered, par experience in the past with a slow connection

Yeah. They aren't displayed, though, which can matter if they're yuuuge and the user is on mobile. That said, I had no problem when I viewed this thread on my weak windows phone an hour ago. (Whereas animated gifs tend to lock it up for several seconds, but that's probably just the browser being poorly written)

P.S. I should mention that this game does sound interesting to me.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 10:42:09 am »

PTW

I'd add more but my break's over.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 01:37:15 pm »

Looks good, sounds good, great influences. PTW
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20