Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Space Haven - RimWorld inspired spaceship colony sim.  (Read 81346 times)

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Haven - A game inspired by Rimworld, FTL and original X-COM.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 07:22:37 am »

PTW great mesh of inspirations

what i really liked about x-com is the ability to appropriate technology so that's what i'm leaning hard towards but ship to ship combat does not spark
my excitement to be honest (to each their own), setting of the game is immensely important for me, is it a ship? a station? are we Firefly or Cowboybepbop?   

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 12:59:15 pm »

So... Do we get to "build" the spaceships? The layouts we see; are they pre-made, procedurally generated, or user-defined???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 04:04:11 pm »

Well, if you've already got the systems in place, shouldn't be too hard too add a few extra types of stuff to it. The crew AI in reacting to them would be the hard part. And enemy AI.

Which leads us to grenades, or more specifically, gas grenades. Toss one in to a room, wait for the enemy to come running out, straight into your pre-planned ambush.

Grenades were a bit weird in Xcom, either being uber powerful or mostly useless, depending on the terrain. But in the always enclosed environment of ships, they might work great. You mostly wouldn't want to use really heavy explosives (in case you all suddenly ended up outside the ship through the hole you made in it), but smoke/poison/acid mist would dovetail in nicely with the gas and door containment system mentioned. More-or-less a "bring your own little portable gas trap", rather than a kaboom.

Sort of like those opening scenes of Starwars, where they smoke the corridor and Darth Vader comes storming in,  and the Rebels just pretty much decide that they're screwed. Sure, Darth had a part to play in this, but Rebels with smoke-induced Stormtrooper aim would have surrendered to an etiquette droid at that point. Might make for some interesting strategies and crew make-up decisions, offensively or defensively. As well as making things like going directly for control rooms and air management rooms just as vital as hitting the weapons or shields in some scenarios. On attack or defense.

But it'd be a bugger to program the enemy AI to take advantage of it, rather than just have them break those control rooms entirely. Running away from contamination is easy, but having the AI proactively open a door, chuck in a grenade, and then seal the room (with you in it) is hard. Maybe just rely on it being an immergent scenario, where the player's reactions make the AI seem way smarter than it is. So they probably will gas themselves sometimes, which is silly, but hilarious.

Is there going to be a hacker/engineer style class or set of items?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:16:44 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 04:13:57 am »

So... Do we get to "build" the spaceships? The layouts we see; are they pre-made, procedurally generated, or user-defined???

Yep! Our plan is that you get to build the space ships. It's a bit open how much will be pre-made, to make sure it still kind of looks like a space ship and has
the engines in the right direction for example.

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 04:14:52 am »

Well, if you've already got the systems in place, shouldn't be too hard too add a few extra types of stuff to it. The crew AI in reacting to them would be the hard part. And enemy AI.

Which leads us to grenades, or more specifically, gas grenades. Toss one in to a room, wait for the enemy to come running out, straight into your pre-planned ambush.

Grenades were a bit weird in Xcom, either being uber powerful or mostly useless, depending on the terrain. But in the always enclosed environment of ships, they might work great. You mostly wouldn't want to use really heavy explosives (in case you all suddenly ended up outside the ship through the hole you made in it), but smoke/poison/acid mist would dovetail in nicely with the gas and door containment system mentioned. More-or-less a "bring your own little portable gas trap", rather than a kaboom.

Sort of like those opening scenes of Starwars, where they smoke the corridor and Darth Vader comes storming in,  and the Rebels just pretty much decide that they're screwed. Sure, Darth had a part to play in this, but Rebels with smoke-induced Stormtrooper aim would have surrendered to an etiquette droid at that point. Might make for some interesting strategies and crew make-up decisions, offensively or defensively. As well as making things like going directly for control rooms and air management rooms just as vital as hitting the weapons or shields in some scenarios. On attack or defense.

But it'd be a bugger to program the enemy AI to take advantage of it, rather than just have them break those control rooms entirely. Running away from contamination is easy, but having the AI proactively open a door, chuck in a grenade, and then seal the room (with you in it) is hard. Maybe just rely on it being an immergent scenario, where the player's reactions make the AI seem way smarter than it is. So they probably will gas themselves sometimes, which is silly, but hilarious.

Is there going to be a hacker/engineer style class or set of items?

Hacking is also a neat idea! Going to write that one up.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 05:09:07 am »

The bloke from Dead Space could apparently fix anything, and he was an engineer. Actually, I'm not even sure if people realize that engineers can't fix, jerry-rig, or fuck up anything they want, even if it's computer-hackery skills required. Coz dey'z gots dem skillz.

Whatever. They get paid the big bucks. Engineer class it is :)

------
"Scotty! Windows is updating again! Its causing..... My start-bar icons...... to Move around.....!!!"

"......Far from their..... original..... Position!... This was not.. what..I....intended with this update!"

"Scotty!...... Do you read me?"
------

"Captain! Seriously, for fooks sake, talk to fooking Sulu or someone. I've got me own bloody problems to deal with down here...."
------

:)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:21:51 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2016, 02:47:34 pm »

Posting to watch.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »

ptw

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 01:54:41 am »

Man this looks interesting but for the life of me I cannot fathom how the game plays.

There is a SPECIFIC game I am hoping it takes inspiration from that isn't part of the title... It was a BAD game (well an ok game) but that had interesting concepts (breaches in the ship could drag your crew into space where they die)

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 03:39:44 am »

Man this looks interesting but for the life of me I cannot fathom how the game plays.

There is a SPECIFIC game I am hoping it takes inspiration from that isn't part of the title... It was a BAD game (well an ok game) but that had interesting concepts (breaches in the ship could drag your crew into space where they die)

Haha, that's understandable. We are creating the base for the game now, but everything points towards a direction where the game is about managing the crew, managing the fleet (If you have many ships), building the space ships trying to optimize their functionality in regards for the crew to survive, building the ships in a way where you can defend your crew against enemies. Deciding what components you build, and how many you build of them. They will affect the temperature of the ship, oxygen levels and different gas levels on the ship.

You traverse the galaxy trying to find asteroids to mine from, to build more facilities and better ships. You encounter different dangers, like other groups who may be friendly or not. You decide if you want to investigate that wrecked space ship you encounter.

What we are hoping for is to create a game where each play through is a bit of a story in itself. Perhaps some character did a stupid thing, perhaps one of your characters was a bad ass and killed every invader trying to board your ship. Maybe you had to leave Johnny behind because otherwise your whole crew would have died. Poor Johnny! He was one of the best miners.

This is what we are building towards and we look forward to seeing how it evolves. Will post some more material soon to show what we have been working on lately!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:44:25 am by AdmiralGeezer »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2016, 04:55:08 am »

Sounds good but I don't get excited about anything that I can't play.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2016, 05:43:24 am »

An excellent policy, and one I share.

Zsinj

• Bay Watcher
  • Cave-adapted engineer
    • View Profile
    • King under the Mountain
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2016, 05:47:40 am »

Just joining in to say it looks awesome, good luck! Following for updates on Twitter :)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 05:49:04 am »

Adding to this too. Of my knowledge of AG, he/they have play-test builds being sent to others for feedback or at least as far as I recall. Though this is a new team(?) but either way, well wishes to all these. :3

AdmiralGeezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2016, 02:55:47 am »

Adding to this too. Of my knowledge of AG, he/they have play-test builds being sent to others for feedback or at least as far as I recall. Though this is a new team(?) but either way, well wishes to all these. :3

Oh, we are not testing it yet. We are building it. The reason I started early here is because I know members here come up with great ideas for features and such, it will help us steer the game on the right path early on.

I can't promise anything but we are working hard to have it playable next year at some point. We still need to decide on how we want to approach the first release, but it's probably going to be early access. Remains to be seen if it is directly on Steam or through our own home pages.

And the team is not exactly new. We have been to hell and back again in our soon 5 years together now. We've sat beside each other for 5 years, through winter and summer. Hammering on every day. We're getting better all the time and I am confident Space Haven is going to be the best one from us yet. With so many false promises lately you are right not to take my word for it, so stay tuned and decide when you know more / have seen some feedback from players!

Looking at our game at its current state I have to say I'm damn excited, just the way it looks. I personally love the isometric view and our graphics guy is doing a great job with it. All of this said I know very well that if we don't succeed in creating a good game around all of this it is going to mean nothing. There is a bit of pressure there, but I'm doing my best to keep us on a good course.

We have been working on developing mining pods the past week. A couple of gfycats to show what they look like:
https://gfycat.com/FailingEuphoricElephant
https://gfycat.com/MediocreBlaringKoalabear

Time to create a jet pack for the space floating characters ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:15:16 am by AdmiralGeezer »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20