Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Statecraft - Making a Nation States-style Forum Game - The Development "blog"  (Read 3325 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Log 7 - The Ruler

I've mentioned that Statecraft will not be a suggestion game. However, I still like the idea of having choices to deal with issues. The quest becomes: Who chooses the solution?

I think the idea could be that there is a Ruler figure of sort, with the exact mechanics depending on the situation. In a democracy, the 'Ruler' could be the collective citizens themselves, or the oligarchy. In a dictatorship the 'Ruler' could be a single individual or even a player. The Player Dictator would likely still not have complete control, because that would negate everyone else's politickings. The consequences for the dictator's inability to compromise could come in the form of civic unrest, and the other players themselves ICly moving against them.

It would be difficult to determine how Rulers can be influenced, because that would be a complex interplay of public opinions and public influence. For example, just becsuse the majority of the country wants a certain choice, doesn't mean the people in charge still can't somehow subvert the government against their will. How can that even be quantified? It would require sub-governments to simulate well, and that would be too complex. I think I would have to come up with some mechanical shortcut.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Log 7.5 - Demographics (The Ruler cont.)

I think the way issues are resolved could be accomplished through Demographics, which in this situation doesn't refer to age and income group (because that would be hell to micromanage) but more on the nuances of their influence upon the government. These groups could be, for example, the Oligarchy, Foreign Interests, Upper-Middle Class, Lower Class, or Intellectuals.

These groups have Influence, which determines their ability to control the resolution of the issue. This is a quantification of their actual voting power, their availability to vote, and their ability to influence the vote of others, or the ability to matter in the political stage to be general.

Now, the problem is up to how exactly do we want to handle Issues? Obviously with so much political intrigue at play it would be annoying to have to influence the NPCs every time you want something done. My idea is that, barring special circumstances or if the choice is obviously something the Demographic wouldn't choose, certain players are able to decide for them.

For example, let's say a player represents a politically-conscious Academic pushing for a technocratic government. Of course, in reality, Intellectuals don't actually have any unity of opinion, but unless the player's choice for the Intellectual is obviously divisive, it could be assumed that the dissenters are in the minority.

We would have to flesh out how "Campaigning" would have to work.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 [2]