Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Setting up a low popcap game with full features?

(1/2) > >>

ChairmanPoo:
Hello, I'm finding that I enjoy lower popcaps (20-40 I think) both because of performance and because I find the experience more survivalistic and enjoyable. BUT... but... I'd like to get visitors, megabeasts, and (smaller) invasions... so... how do you set up this kind of game in this version of the game?

Thanks in advance

Libash_Thunderhead:
More important, mountainhome, you don't call it full if you can't become the mountainhome.

Henry47:

--- Quote from: Libash_Thunderhead on October 07, 2016, 09:29:37 am ---More important, mountainhome, you don't call it full if you can't become the mountainhome.

--- End quote ---
Perhaps, but becoming the mountain-home is not really that useful, all you get are three more useless nobles(which is quite a waste in a low pop-cap fortress. You also lose the ability to order stuff from caravans, which i would also imagine is more of an issue in a smaller fort than a larger one, though i suppose that would make things more "survivalistic".

In regards to the original question, i believe you can change the amount of population required for civilisations to siege you in the entity raws.  According to the wiki, changing PROGRESS_TRIGGER_SIEGE from 3 to 1 will make a civilisation start sieging you at 20 dwarves, rather than 80 as currently. I don't know if this would affect siege size, but i suspect not.

Wyrdean:
A Round about to reduce the size of sieges is to reduce the Population size of Goblins Humans Elves Kobolds and any other Civs you have.

soulmata:
Perhaps not quite what you're after, but setting POPULATION_CAP to 7 seems to disable migration altogether, making you rely on births for new dwarves.

The wiki suggests the first 2 waves are hardcoded, but in numerous games, setting it to 7 seems to outright prevent the first 2 waves from ever happening.

And I don't believe changing POPULATION_CAP has any affect on the rest of the game world. I was still receiving traders and siegers, for instance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version