Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invisible traders  (Read 1318 times)

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invisible traders
« on: October 08, 2016, 06:47:18 pm »

I - apparently - got an orc caravan at the same time as a dwarven caravan, but they orcs never materialized.  I did get messages about them leaving soon, and thiefs stole <everything they brought> but I never saw them, nor was I able to trade with them at the depot.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Invisible traders
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 08:53:08 pm »

was that on windows or linux/mac?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:47:10 am »

Linux.  Nothing odd in the logs.  However, note that this fort is also seeing "No output liaison, how curious ..."  The worldgen is only 50 years, large region, everything enabled, so maybe I'm in some edge case.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 09:09:36 am »

I guess the case-sensitive is playing tricks on you. it might be that graphics_orcs.txt points to Orcs.png, and its orcs.png or something like that. That way the game cant read the sprites and shows black instead.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:51:12 am »

Good thought, but already checked - as a matter of fact, DF refuses to start if that's the case (I have a place in my create script for those - currently only DDD_Creatures_16px.png, Skaven.png, and font.png are in there needing recapitalization).

The orcs were never actually in the Depot, though - Dwarves were there at the same time, and I couldn't access the orcs (with two simultaneous caravans in the house you get to choose who to trade with before you see the merchandise).

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 12:36:50 pm »

maybe they were somehow ambushing and never "revealed" themself because you are not hostile to them or something weird like that.
no clue how they ambush wagons and donkys or so... well its just a thought.

grotball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:23:39 pm »

I've had a couple of these too now (Windows 7 and 1.16), from a dwarven liason and some elves. Haven't tried 1.17 yet - it's purely tileset updates I believe?

I'll get a message that the liaison/diplomat is here and the SoundSense horse-tack jingle noise, but no units in the U screen when I go to check on the merchants. The liaison will work normally (have a chat etc) most of the time, sometimes they don't appear either.

Then after a period I'll get the warning the merchants are about to leave, but still no units on the U screen or anything visible on the map.

I could be wrong, but it's possibly related to / looks like one of the other diplomats was hanging around for too long from a previous visit (had a clear path to leave). Does that prevent anything else queued up after spawning correctly or working until they go? This happened last night so I'm a bit vague on the exact details. When I checked the U screen for the invisible merchants the final time, the old diplomat had gone too, so I'm not 100% sure that's it.

grotball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 04:38:09 pm »

Just as a side unrelated note, I haven't actually minded the invisible merchants at all, in that they're more of an FPS annoyance and all feel a bit samey to me in the recent releases i.e. no interesting (to me) goods differentiate the different races, and beyond perhaps a bit of food and drink on the first one, largely not necessary (to my play style I guess).

The older releases where the elves had netherwood, races had trade certs for building requirements etc they felt a bit more necessary to save/worry about. Provided a bit of progression you couldn't get just from materials on hand.