Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Update 1.18 - 10 new tilesets! - Gemset, Duerer, Wanderlust and more.  (Read 9985 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Updates every Friday!

::: LINUX ::: ||| ::: MAC :::
::: Current version: V.1.18 - Updated 7th October 2016 - For DF.43.03 :::
::: The MDF GUI requires Microsofts .NET-Framework 4.0 :::
::: Changelogs: V1.01 ::: V1.02 ::: V1.03 ::: V1.04 ::: V1.05 ::: V1.06 ::: V1.07 ::: V1.08 ::: 1.09 ::: 1.10 ::: 1.11 ::: 1.12 ::: 1.13 ::: 1.14 ::: 1.15 ::: 1.16:::

::: If you like the content I produce and enjoy playing Masterwork, consider supporting it on Patreon. :::
::: It allows me to do regular updates and add more content more quickly. :::

::: Read up on future goals, vote on polls and make suggestions. :::
::: Or join community projects that add new mod content! :::

10 new tilesets! They come with their own TWBT fonts, TWBT overrides, civ-creature sprites (dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, kobolds), color-schemes and init files. I made 5 screenshots of each, showing the title screen, a map, grass/river, a fortress and the z-screen menu. I made the screenshots before I finished the system with the overrides and creatures sprites, so please don't worry if you still see some phoebus dwarf sprites around.

And the first one is...

GEMSET
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150753.0

24x24, the big set by Dragondeplatino. Very clear, with its own color scheme, perfect for larger screens. In theory it also comes with sprites for all creatures, but I'm not that far yet with the UI. Currently it only replaces the sprites for civ-creatures.

Spoiler: Preview (click to show/hide)

CRT-Monitor
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159883.msg7147464#msg7147464

8x16, this tileset simulates an old VGA/CRT screen, with scanlines. It comes with a green color scheme.

Dirt
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159883.msg7124986#msg7124986

16x16, this tileset is a bit hard to read, but looks like a post-apocalypse theme with faded, dirty graphics.

Duerer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142083.0

15x15, the most artful of them all, the Albrecht-Duerer style tileset makes DF look like an old painting/tapestry. I personally think that the included color-scheme is a bit dark, but feel free to change that.

Mushroom
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159883.msg7124986#msg7124986

16x16, Mushroom is a fun set, with a rainbow pre-colored tileset. It looks... friendlier than DF deserves. ;)

OldSchool
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159883.msg7185853#msg7185853

32x16, a non-square sepia-colored tileset which simulates an old pc font from long forgotten times. Best used with large resolutions, sorry if the screenshots look a bit busy/noisy.

Wiggly

32x16, a sub-type of the OldSchool set, this looks hand-drawn. I personally feel it's a bit hard on the eyes, but has some charm. It's very unlike other sets.

Tergel
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145802.0

16x16, the Tergel set is a stark contrast to the set above, it's extremely clean and neat. It comes with a somewhat pastel color-scheme.

Toy CGA
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159883.msg7192951#msg7192951

16x16, another crisp and clean, pre-shaded tileset with a nice font.

Wanderlust
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145362.0

16x16, last, but not least, the Wanderlust set. Similar font, with beautiful fort mode and it's own sepia-hued color scheme.

Notes: So... yeah... GUI improved so that it does change the civ-creature sprites like humans, dwarves, etc and the TWBT overrides. I also added a lot of color schemes, and fixed up a few graphic issues, like the look of Spacefox. :)

Working with tilesets was a lot of fun, I might do some more in that direction :)

Community feedback: Poll about races still up. I'm currently looking into graphic packs, so keep updated for that. I really want to get overrides to work with the GUI, so that I can install Gemset.

Patreon: 6 new patrons this week, adding $15 to the monthly pot. Thanks everyone! 

Cheers,
Meph
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Update 1.18 - 10 new tilesets! - Gemset, Duerer, Wanderlust and more.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 11:38:22 am »

Did you close DF, changed the setting, start DF again, then generated a new world?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 12:33:19 pm »

No, that world was genned like this on the first launch with those exact settings, but there is a possibility that I (or my PC, my antivirus etc.) screwed up at some point. I downloaded DF again, launched with the same settings and everything is fine. I should have tried that before asking. Case closed.

Anyway, thank you so much for adding those sets. I was hoping for Duerer to be included in Masterwork since I started using it, and I know many people feel the same way about other tilesets, especially GemSet. Keep up the good work.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 03:40:08 pm »

Have you managed to add in that sand/loam/clay splitting reaction to some of the other races yet? I keep trying to do it on my own, but I get nowhere fast each time I try and add in teh reactions to the workshops. You did say that Kobolds and another race other than dwarves had the ability to do the reaction yes?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 07:08:14 pm »

It would be in a changelog if I did. I only worked on graphics. One project at the time.

Baka Kenshi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 07:20:18 pm »

Wow, my eyes are bleeding :) I was hoping to see your 32x tileset though... Well, maybe next time :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 08:53:37 pm »

I'm working all day on it, but not even the vanilla DF version is done.

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 08:49:39 am »

What files need to change to swap tilesets, and do other option settings intersect those?

I'd like to take a crack at adding an option to my command-line script for linux/mac users to switch out tilesets - I could probably trial-and-error it, but seems easier to ask first :-)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 09:08:47 am »

it takes anything in masterworkdwarffortress/graphics/tileset-name and copies it over the normal data and raw folder.

BUT! very important!, any changes done to the normal raws, like YES_STANDARD_SOMETHING, also has to be done to all the files in masterworkdwarffortress/graphics/tileset-name/raw/objects. Otherwise it breaks, because you might toggle the options in the main-set of raws, then replace part of the raws with the different graphic versions, and those have the option still toggled a different way.

currently tileset changes to the tileset, the creature sprites for civ creatures, override files and some raw files (inorganics, plants, tools, creatures with vermins)

grotball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »

it takes anything in masterworkdwarffortress/graphics/tileset-name and copies it over the normal data and raw folder.

BUT! very important!, any changes done to the normal raws, like YES_STANDARD_SOMETHING, also has to be done to all the files in masterworkdwarffortress/graphics/tileset-name/raw/objects. Otherwise it breaks, because you might toggle the options in the main-set of raws, then replace part of the raws with the different graphic versions, and those have the option still toggled a different way.

currently tileset changes to the tileset, the creature sprites for civ creatures, override files and some raw files (inorganics, plants, tools, creatures with vermins)

Oh that's how these DF tilesets work, they just clobber the vanilla raws and replace [PICKED_TILE:6][PICKED_COLOR:5:0:0] and things like that (with corresponding changes to the actual PNG tile/s and indices I guess)? I suppose if the indices don't change you can just get away with a different PNG.

No wonder they cause so many problems, that must be an utter pain to maintain... do you use templates and swap in different values from an external source or spreadsheet to generate tilesets, or do you manually tweak as needed and update the raws in the tilesets when they change in vanilla?

raeborga

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 05:22:25 pm »

OldSchool

32x16, a non-square sepia-colored tileset which simulates an old pc font from long forgotten times. Best used with large resolutions, sorry if the screenshots look a bit busy/noisy.

Wiggly

32x16, a sub-type of the OldSchool set, this looks hand-drawn. I personally feel it's a bit hard on the eyes, but has some charm. It's very unlike other sets.

OldSchool is actually "Wiggly"
Wiggly is actually "HandUgly"

They're both old fonts.
Afaik HandUgly is indeed hand-drawn.

ps. They're both 16x32 as well. 16 width, 32 height.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:24:33 pm by raeborga »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 06:17:00 pm »

They're both old fonts.
Oh, I thought you gave them names yourself. I just changed them to more descriptive titles, didnt realize they were actual fonts.

No wonder they cause so many problems, that must be an utter pain to maintain... do you use templates and swap in different values from an external source or spreadsheet to generate tilesets, or do you manually tweak as needed and update the raws in the tilesets when they change in vanilla?
Its complicated ^^

grotball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 01:50:40 am »

They're both old fonts.
Oh, I thought you gave them names yourself. I just changed them to more descriptive titles, didnt realize they were actual fonts.

Its complicated ^^

Always wondered why so many issues arose and the response would be, "Oh, it's the tileset", makes sense now.

The INI file format strikes me as a pain in terms of dealing with merges, whitespace etc. I've only modded a few things locally, but for 'broadbrush' things like Masterwork, I wonder if the Toad would entertain changing the raws to a more structured format. The INI file format seems hard to parse, in terms of where one things ends, and another starts (actually, I wonder why it was ever used, in this particular case). I wonder if something like JSON or YAML would provide a little bit more structure, without overburdening things like XML.