Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knowledge?  (Read 1486 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Knowledge?
« on: October 09, 2016, 03:27:29 pm »

I noticed that a lot of wokshop reactions in various places produce "Knowledge" as a by product. Apparently, this is a stone. It gets stuck in a clay stockpile, and is incredibly heavy. Is this supposed to be slag-equivalent to balance some workshops? So far, i've just been excavating them in the archaeologists workshop to get rid of the stuff. What is this supposed to be?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knowledge?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 04:34:27 pm »

I noticed that a lot of wokshop reactions in various places produce "Knowledge" as a by product. Apparently, this is a stone. It gets stuck in a clay stockpile, and is incredibly heavy. Is this supposed to be slag-equivalent to balance some workshops? So far, i've just been excavating them in the archaeologists workshop to get rid of the stuff. What is this supposed to be?

I believe it is supposed to evaporate into a gas and initiate syndromes that enable various effects in the mod. It sounds like you have temperature turned off. You absolutely can not play masterwork with temperature turned off, or you will get these stones instead of the proper effects.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 04:37:34 pm »

its a product that is only added to generate XP when a reaction is completed. Its evaporates, you just have to enable temperature.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 04:52:28 pm »

Isn't temperature still a large FPS drain in DF? It would be nice if there were another way to do this...
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 04:59:52 pm »

Temperature is a mild FPS drain, but Masterwork boosts FPS in a lot of other ways. Don't worry about it, turn temperature back on. To me, temperature is a crucial aspect, even of the base game, and dwarf fortress with temperature turned off is not dwarf fortress at all.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 06:25:25 pm »

Before I turn temperature back on I think I'm going to make a quantum stockpile of the stuff and stick a dwarf over it.  :P

Anyways, thanks everybody! Problem is solved!
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 09:17:30 am »

Before I turn temperature back on I think I'm going to make a quantum stockpile of the stuff and stick a dwarf over it.  :P

Anyways, thanks everybody! Problem is solved!

Be careful, exploding heads may cause stress.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 02:50:24 pm »

Temperature is a mild FPS drain, but Masterwork boosts FPS in a lot of other ways. Don't worry about it, turn temperature back on. To me, temperature is a crucial aspect, even of the base game, and dwarf fortress with temperature turned off is not dwarf fortress at all.

But maybe I'm playing human fortress. :P
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 03:13:19 pm »

Okay, but even so, saying the game will run faster with temperature disabled is like saying "Skyrim will run faster with dragons disabled" or "Forza will run faster with the tire friction simulation disabled" or "Simcity runs fastest with no sims in it." Temperature matters.