Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back to playing adventurer mode after years ...  (Read 2570 times)

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Back to playing adventurer mode after years ...
« on: October 09, 2016, 01:46:03 am »

After years of not playing DF, I decided to pick it up again and give the adventurer mode another try. I love it, but usually become lost or don't know how to do all the fun stuff.

I usually start playing as a peasant/human/outside since I like to equip myself and train up skills and stats.

So, on to the questions:

1. Buying/selling things - shops in cities seem fairly useless to me. Most of my equipment comes from the piles of free stuff in hamlets, mead halls, fortresses, etc. The shops that sell useful things (armor, weapons, backpacks(!!) ) seem to be rare and stock only few items. And then there's the issue of currency ... I think there's a town in my recent adventure that does not have an official currency. All of the merchants show "not trading in currency", and I cannot ask for a price (range is "0-0") when trying to sell something.
Is there something I am missing when it comes to shops and trading? I'd really like the gratification that comes from being able to afford shiny new equipment after selling the spoils of the latest round of wrestling bears and alligators to death. ;)

2. I find it hard to figure out what exactly is going on. Example: In my recent adventure, there's a group of goblins (indicated by a star on the overview map) staying in a hamlet. They don't appear to be aggressive, even though I get dumped from travel mode with the "You feel uneasy ..." message. What are these goblins? Raiders, bandits? The citizens of the hamlet don't seem to mention them.

Are there any better ways of finding out what exactly is going on, and what the moving asterisks on the world map are (some are individuals that will attack me, some just move about or even seem to flee from me)?

3. Is there a good list of what things there are to do in adventure mode, and how to do them, and possibly what experience levels are required? (I ran into a bunch of what appeared to be goblin bandits, most of which I could defeat easily enough, but their captain (blinking 'g' instead of regular 'g') was able to kill me quickly.

4. Is cooking implemented, or do I have to eat the meat I gained from hunting raw?

5. Is there any way to fix worn items?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Back to playing adventurer mode after years ...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 02:01:08 am »

After years of not playing DF, I decided to pick it up again and give the adventurer mode another try. I love it, but usually become lost or don't know how to do all the fun stuff.

I usually start playing as a peasant/human/outside since I like to equip myself and train up skills and stats.

So, on to the questions:

1. Buying/selling things - shops in cities seem fairly useless to me. Most of my equipment comes from the piles of free stuff in hamlets, mead halls, fortresses, etc. The shops that sell useful things (armor, weapons, backpacks(!!) ) seem to be rare and stock only few items. And then there's the issue of currency ... I think there's a town in my recent adventure that does not have an official currency. All of the merchants show "not trading in currency", and I cannot ask for a price (range is "0-0") when trying to sell something.
Is there something I am missing when it comes to shops and trading? I'd really like the gratification that comes from being able to afford shiny new equipment after selling the spoils of the latest round of wrestling bears and alligators to death. ;)

2. I find it hard to figure out what exactly is going on. Example: In my recent adventure, there's a group of goblins (indicated by a star on the overview map) staying in a hamlet. They don't appear to be aggressive, even though I get dumped from travel mode with the "You feel uneasy ..." message. What are these goblins? Raiders, bandits? The citizens of the hamlet don't seem to mention them.

Are there any better ways of finding out what exactly is going on, and what the moving asterisks on the world map are (some are individuals that will attack me, some just move about or even seem to flee from me)?

3. Is there a good list of what things there are to do in adventure mode, and how to do them, and possibly what experience levels are required? (I ran into a bunch of what appeared to be goblin bandits, most of which I could defeat easily enough, but their captain (blinking 'g' instead of regular 'g') was able to kill me quickly.

4. Is cooking implemented, or do I have to eat the meat I gained from hunting raw?

5. Is there any way to fix worn items?
uhh
you miss a whole load of toadyone trying to add back mechanics that got taken out of pre-site generation and adding in new stuff on top of it.
 the * are the roaming migrant/armies/people from ages old brought back. now you can encounter just about anything in the world history if you bump into them they could be friendly or hostile or neutral who knows until you try.

cooking isn't implemented outside of modding as modding adventure reactions are in.
you can't really fix worn items in vanilla, only with mods and even then that's mostly swapping your old clothes for a new one with reactions.

you can buy and sell stuff or trade for goods with anyone willing to talk to you, money kinda fishy and could be used at inns for payment.

the questing stuff got rework to make being a murderer more or less heroic and  more duty bound, so now if your apart of a fort guard you get labeled a soldier than a murderer when you attempt to brag about kills or being a hunter.

other wise I don't know when you first pick up Dwarf fortress if it's during the 2 years of no updates and bogeymen well we have animal people now and one of them can live passively with bogeymen.
if it before bogeymen then uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh being alone at night spawns level 10 skilled randomly generated small creatures name bogeymen and the few ways to beat this is to never activate them by staying inside at night or having companions or if caught by them pray you're playing a spider-man/woman and just sit out til the sun rises or get lucky with dodges and kill them all.

oh and building camps are in now so you can build a shack.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:50:25 am »

Oh, another question:

In elven forest retreats, how do you get up into the trees?

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 11:09:20 am »

Oh, another question:

Ok, I think I figured it out: 'h'old the tree, and then use >< to start climbing.

My current adventurer is turning out nicely. After training weapon skills and attibutes, some hunting trips and a fruitless visit to a town, I managed to visit the hamlet where one of my earlier adventurers started (and was promptly slain by a night creature before even leaving to the world map). The night creature was still there, but it was no match for my bronze short sword.

Later, I managed to slay another night creature (were-tapir) that showed up as an asterisk on the map.

I started wandering after that, and came to a hamlet where the local ruler complained about criminals in town, and there was indeed a group of elven thugs (also visible as an asterisk). They were not hostile initially, but surrounded me and followed me. Since this kept me from using Travel, I killed most of them (after learning where their ringleader was). I paid the ringleader (a dwarf hiding out in a forest retreat) a visit too ... he got mad and started spitting at me when I told him of my killing his men. Shortly afterwards, he met his inevitable end.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 12:02:46 pm »

Oh, another question:

Ok, I think I figured it out: 'h'old the tree, and then use >< to start climbing.

My current adventurer is turning out nicely. After training weapon skills and attibutes, some hunting trips and a fruitless visit to a town, I managed to visit the hamlet where one of my earlier adventurers started (and was promptly slain by a night creature before even leaving to the world map). The night creature was still there, but it was no match for my bronze short sword.

Later, I managed to slay another night creature (were-tapir) that showed up as an asterisk on the map.

I started wandering after that, and came to a hamlet where the local ruler complained about criminals in town, and there was indeed a group of elven thugs (also visible as an asterisk). They were not hostile initially, but surrounded me and followed me. Since this kept me from using Travel, I killed most of them (after learning where their ringleader was). I paid the ringleader (a dwarf hiding out in a forest retreat) a visit too ... he got mad and started spitting at me when I told him of my killing his men. Shortly afterwards, he met his inevitable end.
first off they were trying to rob you, which mostly doesn't end violently.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »

I had that in an earlier game - a bunch of goblins in my starting hamlet demaing that I yield.

The elves, however, made no such demands.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 07:53:54 pm »

I had that in an earlier game - a bunch of goblins in my starting hamlet demaing that I yield.

thats because you didn't wait long enough, they like to surround you fully before they go into demanding for items
"body swapping and YOU!"

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 01:10:24 pm »

thats because you didn't wait long enough, they like to surround you fully before they go into demanding for items
It's much more fun to turn it around on them, break their arms, and take -their- stuff.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Ihlosi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 11:05:09 am »

It's much more fun to turn it around on them, break their arms, and take -their- stuff.

And if you break their legs, they can't catch you.

I also found out that while grabbing a groundhog and letting it attack you trains Dodging, grabbing two groundhogs, one in each hand, will train Dodging twice as fast.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 10:14:57 pm »

I also found out that while grabbing a groundhog and letting it attack you trains Dodging, grabbing two groundhogs, one in each hand, will train Dodging twice as fast.
That's brilliant!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 01:16:39 am »

It works with flocks of ravens too! Sneak up to three or four of them in a small area you can stand in the middle of and wrestle-grab all of them.

Keep in mind they could take your eyes out though
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 11:31:55 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143889.msg5694110#msg5694110

Impressive how things I figured out two years ago are news today, hm. :-X

but yes, adventure mode is kind of borked
and by kind of i mean quite a lot

oh_no

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 08:08:24 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143889.msg5694110#msg5694110

Impressive how things I figured out two years ago are news today, hm. :-X

but yes, adventure mode is kind of borked
and by kind of i mean quite a lot

I disagree, there is a huge amount of thing sto do in dwarf fortres adventur emod enow you just have to understand the underlying mechanics.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157142.msg6893602#msg6893602

The wiki can help, though the adventure mode sections still need alot of work:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com