Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modded Magic Towers  (Read 1453 times)

uristjack

• Bay Watcher
  • The God-Emperor
    • View Profile
Modded Magic Towers
« on: April 04, 2017, 06:22:24 am »

So, I've invented some new interactions, right? Like fire magic and stuff, here it is:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've been looking around in Legends, and here's the thing: I can't find any books written about fire magic. In addition, I can't find any towers or similar structures that they generate. How can I make it so that my other wizards can build towers and all that stuff.

Also, is there any way to make the learners of the fire secret fireproof? They burn once they learn.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modded Magic Towers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:53:06 am »

1) To be able to build a tower, they must be able to raise undead.  Give them an interaction that lets them raise dead bodies as fire spirits or something.

2) I think you'd have to use a body transformation effect to transform them into a fireproof creature.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:30:07 pm »

Give them a raise interaction with a huge cooldown, only one traget, and make it so that after only a few turns the raised dead dies again. This way, you get towers, but not armies of fire monsters, which might be a bit OP.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

uristjack

• Bay Watcher
  • The God-Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:29:29 am »

1) To be able to build a tower, they must be able to raise undead.  Give them an interaction that lets them raise dead bodies as fire spirits or something.

2) I think you'd have to use a body transformation effect to transform them into a fireproof creature.

With the body transformation, is it possible for them to stay the same creature? As in a dwarf becoming a fireproof dwarf, etc.? Or do they have to become another creature entirely?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 10:03:41 am »

With the body transformation, is it possible for them to stay the same creature? As in a dwarf becoming a fireproof dwarf, etc.? Or do they have to become another creature entirely?
They have to become another creature entirely - currently there's no way to make a creature fireproof without modifying their materials.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 10:20:12 am »

They must* become another creature entirely. 

Now, nothing prevents that creature from being called a "fireproof dwarf" or even just a "dwarf", but from the game's point of view they won't be the same species.

Here is an example of how to make a series of transformation syndromes that turn a creature into a different creature that's based on the original.  The example is a raise-dead interaction rather than a secret, but it should be adaptable easily enough.  Note that you'll have to go through and add the appropriate creature-class tokens to all creatures able to learn secrets.
Code: [Select]
[I_EFFECT:ANIMATE]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Embodied sorrow]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:HYLIAN_FEMALE]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0]
[CE:CREATURE:KO_Z_HYRULEAN_MASK:FEMALE_HYLIAN]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:HYLIAN_MALE]
[CE:CREATURE:KO_Z_HYRULEAN_MASK:MALE_HYLIAN]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:HUMAN_FEMALE]
[CE:CREATURE:KO_Z_HYRULEAN_MASK:FEMALE_HUMAN]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:HUMAN_MALE]
[CE:CREATURE:KO_Z_HYRULEAN_MASK:MALE_HUMAN]

[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:KOKIRI_FEMALE]
[CE:CREATURE:KO_Z_KOKIRI_MASK:FEMALE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:KOKIRI_MALE]
[CE:CREATURE:KO_Z_KOKIRI_MASK:MALE]

[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GORON_FEMALE]
[CE:CREATURE:KO_Z_GORON_MASK:FEMALE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GORON_MALE]
[CE:CREATURE:KO_Z_GORON_MASK:MALE]

[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:INTELLIGENT_FEMALE]
[CE:CREATURE:SHY_MASK:FEMALE_SHY]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:INTELLIGENT_MALE]
[CE:CREATURE:SHY_MASK:MALE_SHY]
[SYNDROME]
[CE:CREATURE:SHY_MASK:MALE_SHY]

*There may be some partial workarounds involving castes, but nothing that won't cause problems.
Mods I've done:

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 10:40:06 am »

One thing I observed is that interaction users are immune to their own flanges. However, they'll still be in danger from stuff they ignited.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 01:07:23 pm »

It is possible to save yourself a lot of time by using creature variations too. I turned my massive "basic dwarf but super tough materials and better attacks" creature entry into like twenty lines via the whole [CV_CONVERT_etc along with getting the hang of the [CV_REMOVE and [CV_NEW bits.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 11:07:41 pm »

[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0:END:10]

is an exxample of what i was saying  - sometimes summoning spells simply do not suit a type of wizard, and this is a good way to prevent certain types of wizards from having zombie/fire monster/demon/etc. armies. END:10 should make it so they turn back to corpses rather quickly.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

uristjack

• Bay Watcher
  • The God-Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 12:19:25 am »

Ah, see, I'm trying to get my fire mage to raise a fire golem from a corpse (with a very limited time), but I'm testing it out in Arena mode and it doesn't work.

Does anyone know why? It just reanimates them, but it doesn't transform them into a fire golem (and yes, the CE:CREATURE:FIRE_GOLEM is correct)

EDIT: I added [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON] to the [SYNDROME], but it just transformed the mutilated corpse into what I believe is a giant toad? Huh?

EDIT 2: Never mind, I figured it out: I needed to put [CE:CREATURE:FIRE_GOLEM:NORMAL] rather than [CE:CREATURE:FIRE_GOLEM].

EDIT 3: Also, I tested this in the Arena - the transformed creatures aren't allied with the summoners. Why? And how can I fix this?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:52:24 am by uristjack »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 03:02:20 am »

Yeah, FIRE_GOLEM:DEFAULT or whatnot.

So I got the weirdest mashup of shit to give the effect I was after, sorta.

I've got martial dwarf/elf/human castes, the equivalent for goblins are ancient ones that I wanted able to teach the secret which produces the other castes. Then I got the idea to have them be spouse converters and got that working kinda in a weird way, but then I decided to see if I could have them make towers and then abandon them to go kidnap people.

In the end the interaction turns goblins into the converter caste, then after a year (403200) turns them into an animated beard (don't ask) for a tick before turning them into the converted spouse caste, while the animate interaction has a 10 year wait but grants the ability to use a different version of it, along with a primer syndrome class, and finally converts them fully back into the converter caste.

I have no idea why all those steps are needed to make them build towers despite having lair definitions, night creature hunter, supernatural, power, and spouse converter... but it is. Anything besides those steps just gets like, the converted spouse version as the tower builders.

Probably gonna split them back up though, because I remembered I could have a deific curse version for the converters and a regular secret for the tower building teachers.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 10:14:28 am »

EDIT 3: Also, I tested this in the Arena - the transformed creatures aren't allied with the summoners. Why? And how can I fix this?

Creatures on Side = Independent in the Arena are hostile to everything, including their own servant undead.  Also, the Fire Wizards may need to have NO_AGING added to it, in order to be peaceful to undead.

Quote from: Max™
I've got martial dwarf/elf/human castes, the equivalent for goblins are ancient ones that I wanted able to teach the secret which produces the other castes. Then I got the idea to have them be spouse converters and got that working kinda in a weird way, but then I decided to see if I could have them make towers and then abandon them to go kidnap people.

In the end the interaction turns goblins into the converter caste, then after a year (403200) turns them into an animated beard (don't ask) for a tick before turning them into the converted spouse caste, while the animate interaction has a 10 year wait but grants the ability to use a different version of it, along with a primer syndrome class, and finally converts them fully back into the converter caste.

I have no idea why all those steps are needed to make them build towers despite having lair definitions, night creature hunter, supernatural, power, and spouse converter... but it is. Anything besides those steps just gets like, the converted spouse version as the tower builders.

I'd be interested to see the raws for that XD
Mods I've done:

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 11:37:31 am »

It's a shame because I took most of it apart when I figured out I could just have the converter/spouse as a different variation-formed creature from gobs and use a different trick to get towers built with the ancient master gobs.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 01:19:57 pm »

In arena mode, if the creatures are not on the same team - if they are all independant - they will all attack one another. This includes summoned beasts - they will attack the summoner, because the summon shares the team of the summoner, so if he is independant, than so are they, and they will attack him and i believe each other as well.
GENERATION 28: