Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 872492 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The turtle men look a bit like turtle teenagers. But I guess turtle people become adults at the age of 1 year?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

The turtle men look a bit like turtle teenagers. But I guess turtle people become adults at the age of 1 year?
They look like super hero ninja turtles :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Birds....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm aware that the bird-men dont look that great... I used one body-template for them, just changed the head and the color scheme. It mostly works, but owls, emo/ostrich/cassowary, kiwis... the weird bird body types look weird.

I used the same body type, so that I may copy+paste weapons/armor above it, in case I want to expand it and give the intelligent creatures profession sprites too... fort mode visitors, mercenaries, adv-mode and all that.

Criticize away!

Edit: I tested the idea of a bird-men civilization... it does work. Wouldnt be much harder to enable all bird-men to have full profession, miliatry and visitor sprites. Like this:

Red-Winged Blackbird civ

I gave them a loincloth, so that there is some clothing that I can recolor for the different professions. Only thing thats missing is armor and a different look for recruit-skill vs. master-skill soldiers; and some of the nobles are duplicates, like the diplomat/administrator or trader/merchant...

Filesize is 187kb, not too bad. One of those for all animal-men, means ~196*187kb= 36.6mb ... mh...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:20:22 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Got it down to 160kb by deleting a few unused sprites, and added chainmail and breastplate to the soldier sprites.

Here the kestrel man:

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it okay to include the modded content from this graphics pack as its own mod in Lazy Newb Packs?

If I move some stuff around, it should make it completely pretty compatible with any graphics pack and other mods:

Move "building_custom.txt" to "building_meph.txt".
Spoiler: building_meph.txt (click to show/hide)

Move "plant_standard.txt" to "plant_meph.txt".
Spoiler: plant_meph.txt (click to show/hide)

Move "reaction_other.txt" to "reaction_meph.txt".
Spoiler: reaction_meph.txt (click to show/hide)

And leave the "entity_default.txt" stuff in "entity_default.txt".
Spoiler: entity_default.txt (click to show/hide)

I'm guessing those will still work if they're in different files, but I'm not an expert.

Edit: Move "inorganic_other.txt" to "inorganic_meph.txt".
Spoiler: inorganic_meph.txt (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:52:03 am by jecowa »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You missed INORGANIC:COAL_BONFIRE. And yes, that will work, and is probably the far smarter way than how I did it, adding it into vanilla files. I was under impression that Peridexis LNP merges raw files, aka merges the actual lines of code inside the raws... not just copies raw.txts over.

I'll repack it the way you described. But the building_meph and reaction_meph will get a lot larger, because a lot more decorative buildings are planned. Only way to allow the player to set up new graphics themselves in a fort.

The OUTDOOR_PLANTS I'll remove, that was just so that I have access to all plants while testing the new plant graphics.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think maybe PyLNP used to be able to merge stuff. There's stuff in the code that sounds like it is meant to do that, but it spits out errors whenever it needs to merge.

Thanks for reorganizing the mod content. That will make it easier for me.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

My understanding is that the merge logic only really worked with graphics packs changing init files, and for now that's the only place it is even attempted.  That's because a given setting will only be changed once per build, which is a simpler case than two mods dumping stuff into entity_default.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

PyLNP does try to merge raw files, but it doesn't know about the structure of raw files - it's like just pasting lines together from a simple diff.  The errors are probably because it can't tell if it's safe to use the output, which we thought was better than breaking people's saves.

Init files are special; PyLNP knows all the options and what valid settings are.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Ok, PeridexisErrant... but what would you do with modded workshops, that have no function besides using TWBT overrides to allow people to set up clocks, mirrors, carpets, fireplaces, etc. ?

I want to add a large pack of those to the tileset. I'm already familiar with the concept, no other tileset has anything alike, and with 32x its really worth it, since there are more details.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

The PyLNP position is that such things should go in mods rather than graphics packs, to preserve save compatibility.  (Mods can also include graphics content)
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Throwing extra reactions/workshops in/out of saves does not cause any issues. It just disables the workshops, there are no errorlogs or crashes because of that.

Slowly making progess towards a next release...

Birds

Reptiles / Amphibians / Snakes
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:20:41 am by Meph »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile

Wow, really lookin' good.  I look forward to trying these out. 

Quick artistic thing, if you want the tiles that change colors a little more interesting, try making the base tile go from a warm light grey to a cool dark grey.  The Furry Fortress 2 sprites do this if you want to see an example: 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:36:32 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thanks for the tip, but none of them change colors.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile

Thanks for the tip, but none of them change colors.

I'm thinking more the trees and rocks and clothing so forth.  I've been away.  I'm seeing all your tiles all at once. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 187