Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 872682 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

It's mostly utopia anyway :P

But: GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I talked to the author of a minecraft tileset called Dokucraft Dwarven, who allowed his sprites to be used for this little project. While minecraft doesn't have creature sprites or furniture sprites, the terrain and item sprites are fantastic and surprisingly with a style like the one in this set: Nordic carving, golden highlights, lots of details.

The next update might contain several of those sprites, made by Handsome_Dan, who is like a friendlier Handsome Jack.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

PIcture of weird walls

Also https://youtu.be/To8_5j_TLhA
That doesn't look right. Either I did something horribly wrong, or you are testing out something new.

Saw the youtube clip. It seems like you are using the smoothed mineral walls for the test. Try this file and replace _MDF_decorations_3-top.png with it.:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dokucraft Dwarven

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:23:40 pm by Vordak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

The Dokucraft diamond armor makes a nice adamantine armor for example ;)

The best part I found in it? 1.12-Dokucraft_Dwarven\assets\minecraft\Alternative Textures (wip)\Alt Gui (stone rpg)\default.png. Have a look. :D We went full circle.

Edit: Oh, and for the people that have no idea what the Dokucraft thing looks like: They have sprites like:

Really nice rock/metal nordic/dwarven designs.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:52:36 pm by Meph »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

PIcture of weird walls

Also https://youtu.be/To8_5j_TLhA
That doesn't look right. Either I did something horribly wrong, or you are testing out something new.

Saw the youtube clip. It seems like you are using the smoothed mineral walls for the test. Try this file and replace _MDF_decorations_3-top.png with it.:

Some more explanation:

The image in the post is placing random sprites across a smoothed wall. The sprites themselves are always the same for the same location.

The animated one is self explanatory, though fast.

Right now, the animated sprites always show the same frame of animation over all sprites, but it'd be better, I think, to offset each tile by a random amount, so sparkles can appear in different places.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

It looked like its placing different wall sprites, so I replaced the wall sprites with an animated torch for you to better see the effect it would have ingame.

So... I could make different details in the wall carvings, or 10 different coffins, and they'd are used randomly for each coffin he places?

Don't offset the animated tiles, or at least make it optional please. also... you can offset tiles? Outside of the 32x grid the game has?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

The Dokucraft diamond armor makes a nice adamantine armor for example ;)

The best part I found in it? 1.12-Dokucraft_Dwarven\assets\minecraft\Alternative Textures (wip)\Alt Gui (stone rpg)\default.png. Have a look. :D We went full circle.

Edit: Oh, and for the people that have no idea what the Dokucraft thing looks like: They have sprites like:

Really nice rock/metal nordic/dwarven designs.
it has a great design, but in MC we never used it, because it makes everything no matter what look dwarven - sometimes even naturally occuring stuff.
it is a great source for design in DF though :)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Don't offset the animated tiles, or at least make it optional please. also... you can offset tiles? Outside of the 32x grid the game has?

Offset in the time axis. So one tile is showing frame 1, another is showing frame 5. Then they are showing frame 2 and 6, then 3 and 1, etc.

Otherwise, every torch would look exactly the same all the time, instead of looking like each torch has a different flame.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Ah, that makes sense. :)

If you need anything to test, just let me know.

Edit:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:24:32 pm by Meph »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

for adding reflection, make sprites with a diagonal reflecting line (pointing up right) moving from the top left corner of the tile to the low right.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile

Try a different color pallet for the gold

like this
#a67c00   (166,124,0)
#bf9b30   (191,155,48)
#ffbf00   (255,191,0)
#ffcf40   (255,207,64)
#ffdc73   (255,220,115)
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

Try a different color pallet for the gold

like this
#a67c00   (166,124,0)
#bf9b30   (191,155,48)
#ffbf00   (255,191,0)
#ffcf40   (255,207,64)
#ffdc73   (255,220,115)
yes, that looks awesome!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Darkond2100: This is the color palette I use in the actual png:

That stupid bland yellow is applied by DF, it only has 1 yellow... and while I type this I realize that I'm an idiot and that I can change it in inorganic_metal using the extended color palette. :D Anyway, your sprites look good. :) Sadly none of them are either walls nor furniture.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Meph.

You are setting separate sprites for gold items.

You don't need to color them via the game. you can just give pre-colored sprites.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 187