Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 866299 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I was doing a weapon-grade metal set (bronze, iron, steel) and a non-weapon-grade metal set (everything else), which just so happens to include gold. But by now I'm considering doing a gold-only set. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

If you do a gold-only set, you can have animated sparkles that aren't colored.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Well, if you give me animation, I won't focus on blinking metal objects, instead I'll focus on other things first. Like machines or fire or smoke or liquids, anything that moves. :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Machines are already animated, aren't they?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Yes, to a degree. They have 2 tiles.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Comes pre-installed with df, dfhack, twbt, a custom LNP, 12+ utilities like Therapist, Soundsense and more.

SILVER & GOLD UPDATE!

Lets crank it up to eleven and give single metals their own style. Silver and Gold are the most use precious metals for decorations, so here you go:

It's a bit overwhelming when everything is silver/gold, so use is sparingly for highlights. ;)

I might rework the chair to make them more regal, like a throne. So far they are normal, golden chairs to be used in mass production. ;) People seemed to like the ladders, so I made one more ladder-set for stairs, while I'm not completely done with the silver stairs yet.

The basis for the golden set is Handsome_Dans minecraft texture pack Dokucraft Dwarven. I had a quick chat with him yesterday and he gave permission to use his sprites for this Dwarf Fortress tileset. Thank you! The design is fantastic and I'm happy to share it in a second game.

The silver coffin and the weapons/armor on the racks are once again Vordaks work.

Special thanks to Japa again for continuing to work on TWBT enhancements.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

That gold looks absolutely fantastic.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I might make it a bit darker/stronger and have a second look at table/chairs. :)

Edit: Japa finished the new features he was talking about. TWBT offer two new options now:

- A tile is overwritten with a randomly-picked tile from a pre-set selection. This is useful when you use multiple designs for the same thing, for example if you have 10 sprites for stone coffins that look similar. You graveyard will get a lot of variety that way; or for example wall tiles that have decorations on them every now and then.

Random decorations on walls:

- A tile is overwritten with either a sequential list of tiles from a pre-set selection, or a random list of tiles from a pre-set selection. This means the tile flickers either randomly between tiles you picked, or it plays like a looping gif. These are useful for anything that moves, like machines, smoke, liquids, fire... (not on creatures, sorry).

Burning torches:

Obviously that means adding even more sprites. The gold-wall for example has 5 versions for the single east-west wall tile. The torch is a random sequence of 13 different flames; although I guess 2-5 would be enough for a nice animation. As an example, if I wre to use 4 tiles for animated objects, a full tileset of 256 tiles (16x16) offers space for 64 objects.

Note: The randomly placed decorations can't be controlled by the player. I can use it to give the game a lot more detail and less uniformity in large sections of repeating tiles; like tree-leafs, walls, floors, water, and individual objects like tables, chairs, coffins, etc. Some might be a tiny bit lighter, or have a notch or crack, or a different engraving on them. The problem? Players can not control this.

Question: How many people that love symmetry would get a stroke and will want to murder me for that?

Next up: Suggestions, suggestions, suggestions. What should I do with this new functionality?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:49:30 am by Meph »

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The randomness looks good on natural stuff, but i personally don't like it with things i build. When i'm constructing walls and floors it's usually because i want it to be homogeneous, or else i wouldn't bother constructing stuff and i'd just smooth whatever stone i find and having 2 different chairs for the same table would look ugly imo.

I'd prefer the randomness restricted to coffins and nature.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Random decorations on walls
When save and load fort, their position does not change?
This function will find good use for mushroom or wood walls, where random deviations are natural. For stone and metal, fans of symmetry can really be in horror.
Also good applying in floor - different cracks in the floor and stuff.

About gold:
Furniture is not very different to each other. Maybe floor replace by a carpet with gold fringe or some other, like gold band between stone tiles?

Animated burning torches is good, but they are purely decorative. Animated workshops.... unattainable dream.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:41:41 pm by Vordak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

When save and load fort, their position does not change?
... I had to test that.

It looks consistent between saving/loading, but there are artefacts if you play without redraw_all 1, IF you scroll and the position of the old tile lands on a new tile that has the same tile number. Complicated, so an example: There are 10 wall tiles next to each other on grass, I scroll to the left. The display moves 5 tiles to the left. In relation to the viewer, 5 of the wall tiles are now where grass was, and 5 of the wall tiles are now were the other 5 wall tiles were.

These 5 tiles might display the old tile, until you scroll away and back.

It' nothing new, TWBT had this bug for a long time; usually noticeable on larger stockpile sections or ice.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Animated workshops.... unattainable dream.

Clearly impossible.

Oh, no, wait, I meant clearly possible.

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think random doodads on the walls and floors will be great!

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, no, wait, I meant clearly possible.
It's from the game or photoshop?)))
P.S. I'd better continue to deal with creatures, with buildings every day something new.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:08:52 pm by Vordak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

It's ingame.

Japa uploaded a new TWBT version with overrides like:
[OVERRIDE:152:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:Workshop:SOAP_MAKER:_MDF_overrides_5:S:3:205:206:207:16] .
[OVERRIDE:155:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:Workshop:SOAP_MAKER:_MDF_overrides_5:S:3:221:222:223:16]

The new stuff is the S:3:x:x:x. It works like this:
S = Sequence (animation). (Other options are R = random and A for animated/random)
3 = the number of different tiles I want to use.
:x:x:x = the three tiles.

I can also do: S:20:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x or R:2:x:x.

Here is a test by Japa:
Spoiler: proof of concept (click to show/hide)

And the TWBT file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13723

Edit: Curse you Japa, now I have to learn how to properly draw animated frames and make a million more sprites. :P
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:42:04 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 187