Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 872487 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V1.3
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2016, 11:11:23 am »

The new update adds mostly creature sprites. A lot of them. I managed to finish about 500 creatures, as well as a lot of semi-procedually generated sprites for forgotten beasts, titans, demons and nightcreatures. Still missing are about half of the insects, half of the mammals and most aquatic creatures.

Birds

Mammals

Reptiles/Snakes/etc

Insects/Arachnids/etc

Demons, FBs, Nightcreatures, Titans

You can see the overall progress of all creature sprites here:
Spoiler: Warning, large images (click to show/hide)

I made only about half the sprites myself, the other half I took from open-source/creative-commons material. The largest credit deserves Denzi.

Original artwork by:
Copyright/Attribution Notice:
DENZI部屋のドット絵フリー素材は、クリエイティブ・コモンズ・ライセンス (http://www3.wind.ne.jp/DENZI/diary/) に基づいて公開しています。 (CC-by SA 表示-継承) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ --- Medicine's crappy translation: "DENZI Room's pixel art (published at http://www3.wind.ne.jp/DENZI/diary/) is free material under the Creative Commons license (CC-BY-SA attribution, share alike) https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"
OpenGameArt.org
www.spriters-resource.com
Stormbolts Angband Creature Set
Stephen "Redshrike" Challener
Jorge BF @ jbfproject

Next update: I think I take a little break from creatures, because my eyes bleed. Instead I'll sit down working on decorations. Decorative items and buildings, like mirrors, clocks, flags, carpets... and with that you can help me. Please post suggestions and requests for decorations!

I'll also split the modded content, the new workshops/decorations, from the original files, making it easier for PeridexisErrant, Jecowa and co, to add the tileset to their LNPs, startpacks, etc. (Guys, this version I havent done that yet. Next update will have all new content in "*_Meph.txt" files)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for the three-platform release of v1.3. The new creatures look wonderful and yes, I agree a rest is probably a good idea. While melted eyeballs is definitely a Dwarfy thing, it is not conducive to keeping the creative juices flowing.

EDIT : I have an oddity to report on the Legend Templates in the Linux version of 1.3. Legend - Birds.png and Legends - Fish (WIP).png are not immediately recognised as PNG files by Image Viewer in Mint 18. They are shown as an unknown file of extension PNG and any attempt to open those two files gives "Fatal error reading PNG image file: Not a PNG file".

GIMP does open them perfectly without issue but reports them to be File Type : Windows BMP.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:40:05 am by DanielCoffey »
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

I've already commented on this before on the subreddit, but I really love the SNES era RPG sprites used for some of the creatures - so uncommon to see Lufia 2 or BOF2 get some recognition and love.

Also laughed at the turtle men - glad you decided to go for broke and gave some of the animal men more joke-y sprites ;p

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Still internally debating if I should do the wolverine-man a bit differently.

I'd love to put some more easter eggs in, but I'm afraid it would be too much at some point.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zakhad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've already commented on this before on the subreddit, but I really love the SNES era RPG sprites used for some of the creatures - so uncommon to see Lufia 2 or BOF2 get some recognition and love.

Also laughed at the turtle men - glad you decided to go for broke and gave some of the animal men more joke-y sprites ;p

I thought I recognised some of the icons lol, Tales of Phantasia, Chrono trigger, & Final Fantasty 3 & 4 should all have similar level of sprites, if you're looking for inspiration.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/talephantasia/sheet/13774/
LP'er

NakedFury

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Are those Ninja Turtles sprites?

This keep getting better and better with each new update.

IDontNeedAUsername

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I've been tied up with real life this past month, but am really looking forward to keep playing with this set.  And the fact that I didn't notice a bunch of missing stuff, but that Meph keeps adding to it, is like a dorfy christmas present.

I didn't know I needed spiders and demons until you gave them to me!  You're so sweet!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Well thank you. You are sweet too. :P

Jokes aside, I can also add this:

And this:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:57:29 pm by Meph »

Ph.D Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This tileset is absolutely beautiful, Meph.

Follower

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Yes, this is the best tileset I've ever seen. Well, I wonder about a couple of things.
1. Will ☼Masterwork☼ come with this set preinstalled? I suppose it has some MW-unique sprites. Can't wait to see all these beautiful tiles while wandering about with my adventurer. Or maybe it is already in and I just wasn't able to use it somehow?
2. I'm not very familiar with inner DF mechanics. Is it possible to generate sprites on go by merging a few images with transparent background? Like creatures and stuff already are put over the terrain, so maybe you somehow can separate weapons and profession tools and such, and then just stick them over generalized creature sprite, so you won't need to make like 100 images for every animal man race.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thank you :)

1. Yes, its the default set for masterwork atm. But I havent ported everything yet, and Masterwork requires 1000~ new sprites that I havent made yet. Its a long way off to be complete for the mod.

2. No, sadly not.

Ph.D Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually I was curious about this. Since Masterwork introduces new things that aren't covered by your default pack yet, what do they look like? Are they ASCII?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

They are phoebus-style. I made 16x16 graphics for them long ago. Some creatures are ascii.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Update 1.4 - Decorations

<<< Download Windows >>>

This week you get decorations. New, decorative workshops that are build like any other workshop, but they are for free. There are:
 - Signs
 - Lights
 - Fountains
 - Banners/Flags
 - Carpets
 - Floor tiles
 - Display Racks
 - Garden/Plants
 - Objects (Misc items)
 - Icons (Arrows only so far)

All in all about 160 in total. You build the workshop, then pick your wanted design in the reactions/jobs. Currently all decorations are free. I'm considering making them cost items; Blocks for floor tiles, Cloth for carpets, Weapons for the racks... it would cost the player more resources, but it makes it more realistic and allows the workshops to change color. Currently the colors are set, but I could make it take on the color of the build material.

Which is better? Free decorations or decorations that have a realistic cost?

Spoiler: statues (16) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: lights (13 x 2) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Racks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Room examples (click to show/hide)

I also made new giant mushrooms for the caverns, instead of using the tiles from Phoebus, which are not 32x. The new ones are more stylized, I like them. If you think differently, let me know.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Credits: Sprites are done by me, some based on previous works of Denzi, Dibujor and Obsidian Soul (like the main tileset), and several decorations (Banners, Carpets, some floor tiles) have been taken from Celiannas (http://pixanna.nl/) tilesets, which are free for non-commercial use with any game engine; to quote the website. She also has commercial tilesets, which are gorgeous, and I'm considering buying them, just to use a few tiles from them.

A few lonely sprites are taken from old SNES games, as before as easter eggs. There is a brazier from Secret of Mana, and a fountain from Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, the Doom Oven and Starcraft Zerg Creep floor.

Please make requests if you have ideas for other cool decorations. :)

Patreon: If you like where this set is going, please consider supporting me on Patreon. If people request it, I can use the money to buy licenses for Celiannas other sets.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:45:06 pm by Meph »

Ph.D Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love the pumpkin lanterns!

Is there any way to manually port over 1.4 to Masterwork?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 187