Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 871888 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I swapped the default color scheme (which is active if season-palette is disabled) with a brighter one.

The brooks don't have a flow direction, TWBT only has one override for them: BROOK_TOP.

I also added a reaction to make wooden bars to build fences. One of the sprites I made for Splints fort once.

And I meddled around a bit with shadows on the edges, fog density and fog color of the multilevel view.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I swapped the default color scheme (which is active if season-palette is disabled) with a brighter one.
Thank you.
Many players prefer less readable but more aesthetically pleasing graphic fonts, I was wandering if for them seasonal changes to the UI is a feature and not a bug, since it helps to set the mood and makes entire screen styled uniformly.
In theory, it should be possible to autoswitch to a default color palette when viewport goes underground, but it will require support in twbt, because recoloring persistent UI on a z-level switch is bad. twbt renders text and graphics separately, it could use default palette for text, but it probably not worth the effort.

The brooks don't have a flow direction, TWBT only has one override for them: BROOK_TOP.
Current animation for rivers is perfect. in my game it animates flow from east -> west in the east-west part of the river, then animation switches to south->north just in the right place, where river turns north. It flows in the correct direction in both parts, which is very impressive.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

So... the next update would take care of the poll above: New items. Gem and grown-wood/elven weapons and armor.

The armor sets are by Avenis and Caynez from DeviantArt (https://www.deviantart.com/anevis/art/Aubergine-Armor-Set-406572631 and https://www.deviantart.com/caynez/gallery/?catpath=/), who gave permission to use their sets for DF. :) I expanded that a bit to fit the missing items like bucklers, low boots, caps and all the weapons.

Just wanted to ask for feedback before I start writing the overrides, reactions and workshops.

What do you think?

Edit: Workshops:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:50:44 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Delta_02_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great work Meph!
Definitely the best Tileset ever made in DF!

But I do have one question, I think I have seen beds for the different materials but they are not buildable are they?
Its still only wooden beds right now?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You can make bone, ice, brick beds and gem beds in the new workshops. The other, metal, glass and so forth, are only through strange moods.

Edit: Trap parts. Retracted spikes, spikes, enormous corkscrew, spiked ball, serrated disc, giant axe blade.

Gem, Grown-Wood, Rock.

Rock armor:

The weapons I have to rethink... the design I have is way too thin for rock. I'm not that happy with the armor either... mh. :/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 06:40:24 pm by Meph »

Mrok Girl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love the new additions!
Newcastle 5 Chambers megaproject.

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[OVERRIDE:43:T:ConstructedFloor:_MDF_overrides_7:254:::IS_GLASS]  must be 253.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I'm digging that sword. Just wish Obsidian didn't suck tremendous amounts of ass as a weapon material. I mean, i get it, it's fragile, but still.

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bone spiked balls is kinda meh...

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the rock trap components and the grown wood style for weapons and such, but somehow the gem sets (just imagine how fragile those would be) and the idea of dwarves growing their weapons on trees offends my dwarven soul. :D The rock armor set seems very rough in its style, maybe if you go more into the direction of 'studded with rock plates' or so it would look better? bringing it closer to the leather armor, for example like this https://www.deviantart.com/caynez/art/Cheetah-Set-5-506379525 but with rock plates instead of hides.

A general consideration: A tileset should not introduce to much game mechanics in my opinion. I would love to see variations in the armor and weapons already part of the game (for example, why should every sword look alike? https://www.deviantart.com/thisisellian/art/Weapon-design-2-100-Swords-350454053) but if it starts to add to much additional stuff I would vote for a stripped edition without the addition of workshops that alter the game too much. Furniture or other scenic elements are not an issue but weapons, armor, traps, ... may influence the game experience too much.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I agree, it's a game balance change. That's why there is the poll above. Most people want it, so it goes in. It will optional and can be disabled in the launcher.

Yeah, I'll redo the rock armors, not a big fan of the final product myself. ^^

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm, guess you are right. In that case we have to be careful with the balancing so rock weapons or gem weapons do not beat conventional weaponry by accident (for example a gem sword should be inferior to steel or even iron as it takes less effort to produce). Do you have any idea on how to tackle this? Otherwise we would need some !!SCIENCE!! on this matter ;) As far as I remember attack strength depends on material weight and momentum so it should work out.

BTW Do you know if its possible with TWBT to have variating sprites for armor and weapons like with the boulders and bars?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:17:20 am by Novaris »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

All gem stuff uses the standard stone_template, so they will be pretty bad. Same for stone items. Wood items are fairly light, but not good for penetration.

All in all, the only useful addition would be easier access to picks and axes for miners and woodcutters, and some rock/gem based blunt weapons, due to their weight. It's mostly just for community forts, or people that want to equip their mayor with a ruby breastplate; stuff like that. Roleplay. :)

Yes, I could make varied sprites for armors/weapons. Makes it harder to identify them though.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well I don't know, a sword still looks like a sword even if blade or handle are a little different. same for the main plate of a breastplate armor but this request or idea is so special I don't think its worth spending your creativity on it. I will play around with it using sprites I borrow from deviantart or so.

One question, I saw a few pages back that you planned on doing a slade style pattern with a little diabolical touch, is this already part of the tileset?

EDIT:
can TWBT capture "improvements"? Reason I ask is I created reactions that allow encrusting armor and weapon with gems and having a different sprite for those would be cool. Then I actually would see my king equip the ruby encrusted golden breastplate.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:21:12 am by Novaris »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

These items mostly vanish inside some workshop, bin or inventory... so most of them won't be seen much anyway. Unless players voluntarily refuse to use bins in their weapons/armor stockpiles. ^^

The slade set is already in, yes.

TWBT can't show improvements.

how about rock/glass weaponry? :)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:06:55 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 187