Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 872671 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V4.8 (32x32) - 44.12 - updated 16st Feb - Sand Set
« Reply #2010 on: February 21, 2019, 04:21:03 am »

First of all: Thank you so much for the extensive feedback. I love reading stuff like that, it's really helpful.

1. Adamantine set is not finished. I do have the walls, but never made the sprites for the furniture. It's simply not a feature I released yet, because it's not done. Not high-priority, because people use adamantine mostly for weapons and armor.

2. Varied statues are only for normal rock. 256 rock statues. ;) The other materials have 1 statue sprite each.

3. I'll check on the raptormen.

4./5. Thanks. Been a while since I meddled with launcher/utilities.

Do new items even apply to old saves?
Nope.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Giant Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there a way to not have all those stones listed as economic (and still have this feature working)?
Nope, that's just how DF works.
Ah, ok. Sad.

But is it possible for you to change it in a way, that the non-economic stone is non-economic, when this feature is turned off?
Because I didn't enable this feature, but it still lists almost all stones as economic now.
The way it currently works is this:
 - Disabling the feature removes the reaction from your civ, but the reaction still exists. (deep down DF knows that stone can be used in it, hence it's economic)

I could change the launcher to remove the entire reaction too. It's just a few extra lines, which would fix your issue. Btw, you can do that yourself by just deleting reaction_meph, reaction_brickoven and reaction_crematory. Those contain all the custom reactions that the tileset adds. Of course you should keep everything turned off in the launcher, otherwise it will throw a lot of error messages.
It worked.
But somehow the smoothed floor now looks different. And also I can't see the engravings at all (didn't use Extra Engravings).

BlightTrain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: February 22, 2019, 12:53:24 am »

The plant block constructions, the grass floors and hedge maze walls, do not appear to be displaying properly
Image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I look in the overrides.txt I see this
Code:

_Meph_extra_decorations_2.png doesn't have any grass or anything like that as far as I can tell, but _Meph_smoke_animation.png does
So I replace the :_MDF_overrides_14: with :_MDF_overrides_15:
Image:
There we go, this is on your 4.8 release by the way

The hedge walls in the screenshots you put in the 4.7 update post on page 132 are a much more vivid green than mine, looks like the same color green as in the _Meph_smoke_animation.png
I've never changed any of the color settings in the launcher, only the font to Meph_simple, do you have different color settings enabled that give them that look?

Cheers

EDIT: Threw things in spoilers because it was a gigantic wall of a post
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:31:18 pm by BlightTrain »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2013 on: February 22, 2019, 05:35:55 am »

Wow... how did that happen? Thanks.

They are a different color because I used hardcoded green color at my test, but then decided to let the game add the plant-color on top at the release. This way you can build differently colored hedges, by using different plants. In theory. Most of them are green/dark green.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BlightTrain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: February 23, 2019, 02:07:03 am »

Wanting to check out the sand theme, and since the Kiln only has the "Shape bricks (4) from sand" and having no idea how/if it's possible to get all the different types in one embark, I used DFHack's createitem command to get all this in-game
Commands: createitem [Item token] [Material] [Quantity (optional)]
Top Left:        SAND_TAN         same color scheme as SAND_YELLOW, doors/hatch cover are red, is that the red that SAND_RED is supposed to be?
Top Right:       SAND_YELLOW   colors all appear to be as intended
Bottom Left:    SAND_RED         is it supposed to look gold rather than red?  doors/hatch cover are the same color as the SAND_WHITE set
Bottom Mid:     SAND_BLACK      doors/hatch cover are the same color as the SAND_WHITE set
Bottom Right:   SAND_WHITE     doors/hatch cover look darker than the rest of the set, not sure if said doors/hatch are working as intended since SAND_YELLOW's doors and hatch are the exact same shade as the rest of it's set
Bottom Picture: Your V4.8 Post   looks the same as it does in _Meph_extra_decorations_2.png

I'm hoping SAND_TAN is supposed to look the way it does in your V4.8 Post because that's my favorite shade
If not (so I can edit for personal preference) you said you used a different color for the test image you took of the hedges in the V4.7 Post (where they looked the same color as they do in _Meph_smoke_animation.png) and a different color for release, do you know what I should edit to make SAND_TAN display as it does in your picture and _Meph_extra_decorations_2.png?

Also, aside from the issues with the doors and hatch covers, you can see the text looking stuff behind the cabinets, chests, slabs, and coffins
Looking at _Meph_extra_decorations_2.png and _Meph_extra_decorations_2-bg.png appears to reveal why:
You can see said text behind where the cabinet, chest, slab, and coffin reside

The display issues with the doors and hatch covers reminds me of a similar problem I encountered, I got the Adamantine sprites you made working in-game perfectly fine, then I noticed that sexy green cloth themed one that's in _Meph_extra_decorations_2.png above the sand theme, found it to be the THREAD_PLANT one in the overrides.txt, and that similar to the Adamantine you hadn't gotten around to finishing adding the rest of the entries for it, the construction entries were in and working but the furniture wasn't yet.
I copied the furniture entries for SILVER, since they were in the same position in _Meph_furniture.png as the THREAD_PLANT furniture was in _Meph_extra_decorations_2.png, changed the _MDF_overrides_7 to _MDF_overrides_14 for everything that had a sprite in the same position, then tested:
Here's the overrides.txt code:
The createitem commands:
And the Image:
Chests, Coffers, and Bags are all a BOX in the game files, the in-game difference being what they're made out of, so of course the BOX comes out to be a bag since it's made of thread, but that's not an issue
First take note that the Cage, Barrel, Bin, Door, and Hatch Cover lines were not changed yet aside from replacing "::::INORGANIC:SILVER" with ":::THREAD_PLANT" so I figured they should still just be displaying the same Silver sprites.
The Cage, Barrel, and Bin did. They displayed as the Silver sprites perfectly fine.
The issue is again the doors and hatch covers, like up above with the sand, except the doors are just displaying as black squares and the hatch cover is displaying part of the sprite on top of a black square.
I tried replacing the door and hatch cover entries with ones from the other furniture type entries like metal, rock, gold, even your copper one, only changing the material at the end.
Every time I got the same black squares and DFHack, immediately upon finishing loading my save, always gave me this:
"TWBT: invalid material flag THREAD_PLANT"
Like I said before I'm completely new to modding DF, I've just been attempting to read through and make sense of your mod files, so I've got no clue about TWBT or how it works.
Plant thread is of course not a valid building material for doors or hatch covers in vanilla DF, so considering the error message, I wonder if TWBT would have needed to be programmed to recognize it as a valid building material for doors and hatch covers in order to display them properly, or something
If that is the case, I wonder if the issue with the sand is a similar one:
Although DFHack isn't giving any errors about the sand doors or hatch covers, you can't make said items with sand in vanilla DF (as far as I'm aware)
So maybe it's not just the plant thread doors/hatch covers which aren't displaying correctly because of an issue in TWBT
Maybe that's the issue the sand ones are having as well

You've been modding the game since 2011 so maybe you'd have known what's up just from looking at it
If not, I hope I saved you a chunk of troubleshooting time because I just looked at the clock and I've apparently been trying to figure out what's going on with all these doors for the past 6 hours

wew

EDIT: Aside from letting me know how to edit SAND_TAN to make it look the way it does in your V4.8 Post, could you please also tell me how to get the hedge rows to have that nice green from your test screenshot?
I've tried making them out of every single plant at the surface of a 4x4 embark and they all come out the same darker green.
If there's also a way to get the constructed grass floors to have a nicer green, like the natural grass in:
That would be amazing as well

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:17:10 am by BlightTrain »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2015 on: February 23, 2019, 09:59:26 am »

I think I shouldn't release stuff as quickly as I do.

The different colors are mostly from the color scheme. Try default Ascii colors, it should look as intended. Currently the tileset uses spacefox (I think), which has weird pastel tones everywhere. If you want to change the color tokens in the raws, go to inorganic_soil.txt and add the color from http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color that you want to use.

Hatches and doors use hardcoded colors because DF is weird and would use an inverted-tile for them, so I have to force the foreground color on those.

Sorry about the text, no idea how I missed that, but it's in the -bg/-top TWBT files. They are related to transparency and I don't check them regularly. :/

BlightTrain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: February 24, 2019, 12:46:30 am »

I checked out inorganic_stone_soil.txt and read the wiki page, which told me what DISPLAY_COLOR does, then saw that SAND_WHITE, BLACK, and RED respectively had 178, 202, and 191 for their first values.
I eventually managed to find that color chart you posted in http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=170644.0
That put WHITE as pearl, BLACK as taupe gray, and RED as rust, which weren't how they looked in-game, as you could see in that screenshot from the 4.8 release in the previous post:
Then I noticed saffron, the color right under rust, looked just like what SAND_RED was coming up as in-game, and then that WHITE was coming in as periwinkle, under pearl, and BLACK was showing taupe, under taupe gray.
After comparing to the descriptor_color_standard.txt, it seems 141 eggplant is on that color chart but not in your game files, so everything past it was shifted down a number.
Decreasing those three values by one, then setting SAND_TAN to 199 Tan and SAND_YELLOW to 145 Gold as a test gave me this:
Here's the changed DISPLAY_COLOR that was used in that screenshot:
I guess those are probably the colors you were intending?
In addition, the colors from descriptor_color_standard.txt always display the same no matter what color scheme, spacefox or vanilla, you have active, so no need to worry about that.
These are the 5 shades of yellow that aren't neon hell in-game, if you're trying to figure which one to pick:

I'm not sure what you meant about the doors using an inverted tile, they display perfectly fine for me in-game, even when creatures/dwarves are going through them:

No idea what those numbers between the DISPLAY_COLOR and the TILE do though.
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:sand][DISPLAY_COLOR:199:199:0]6:4:1[TILE:141]

And I don't know how much of a pixel perfectionist you want to be, but the coffin could be moved 1 pixel to the left to line it up in the center, just like the bed, if you want:

Also, since I tried to label the sand materials in that screenshot I also noticed the letter A seems to be a dwarf and B seems to be locked in a cage:

I think I shouldn't release stuff as quickly as I do.

Aww... now I feel bad for hitting you up with all these bug reports, but trying to figure out what's what in these files and how they work is teaching me how to mod these things
I can't find any tutorials on TWBT or the overrides.txt or what half of the values in some color things even affect
Having these bugs to get me to experiment with your files by changing values around is actually getting me to learn how to do all this stuff
Now I know how to make these sand blocks in every color I could possibly want
AND (Thank Armok) I found out we don't even have to generate a new world to test color changes in inorganic_stone_soil.txt, I just have to edit the one in the save folder then load the save to see all the colors from descriptor_color_standard.txt
Really I could build the whole fort without worrying about the color then swap it around at a whim like some insane home decorator who can't live with walls being any one color for more than a week
This is going to make fort styling so much bloody easier
Which, due to the lack of tutorials, I would have never been able to figure out that I can even do if not for trying to troubleshoot the random display issues
So I'm quite thankful you made the photoshop mockups for the preview images rather building them ingame then seeing the problems and fixing them before release :D

Please feel free to keep releasing stuff as quickly as you do

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:35:54 am by BlightTrain »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2017 on: February 24, 2019, 05:43:11 am »

Blighttrain, can I keep you? :D This is fantastic.

No idea what those numbers between the DISPLAY_COLOR and the TILE do though.
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:sand][DISPLAY_COLOR:199:199:0]6:4:1[TILE:141]
The numbers are the original, vanilla color values. If something goes wrong, I can easily find them. Since they lack the brackets, DF completely ignores them.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: February 24, 2019, 12:56:14 pm »

You can also change [ whats in here ] for creatures/reactions/buildings so long as you don't add new [ ] and just edit whats inside of the existing [ ]. Probably wouldn't want to change the [Creature:Dwarf/dog] type stuff but everything below them is editable. At least new creatures will have those changes, you can't change existing creatures through that method, unless you edit them 1 by 1 somehow. If you gave a creature a greyscale(in the graphics folders images) and added color to it(in the creature_ file), you could definitely change its color. Of course it'd probably look weird compared to coloring it directly.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:02:30 pm by LeoCean »

BlightTrain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: February 25, 2019, 03:55:54 am »

Blighttrain, can I keep you? :D This is fantastic.
Happy to help, I've been enjoying the tile-set and everything that comes with it so I'm glad I could assist

Question: I started in a forest and I had so many logs all over the ground it was lagging my stocks menu just trying to load all them, so that gave me the idea to test out the campfire.
So I light it up and it expands to around a 15 tile diameter then my game starts chugging and plummets down to 1 fps.
I kill the game then disable animations so I can start a fresh fire and see if that helps.  It doesn't.
I figure I'm just going to have to wait it out, then after it eventually chugs to around a 100 tile diameter, it starts running fine at a stable 30 fps.
It runs like that for a minute or so then it starts chugging back to 1 fps.
Another few minutes then it lets up again back to a stable 30, and thankfully I had SoundSense running and the Announcement Window utility on my 2nd monitor.
I notice my web gatherer and one of my hunters was fighting some giant enemy crab or something in the caves underground.
During the battle my fps was fine but after the battle it dropped back down to running at 1 fps again, so I disabled those labors on everyone who had them, but then it started raining and put out the fire.
The game was back to running fine again, but I had to wait what felt like 10 minutes for the rain to stop.
After it stopped I was finally able to light the large campfire and watch the map start to burn at a stable 30 fps.
So I exit out and turn animations back on and it runs without a hitch, and I'm able to watch the entire landscape go up in flames and it was glorious
Except for the trees
That Armok damned blasted overgrown elf hugging infection of a forest somehow managed to survive the fire from hell, continuing to tower all around and above my walls like a never ending miasma of elf shit as if taunting me while I watched another one of those sapling bastards sprout up into another one.
What the bloody hell

So here's the question: Is it possible to mod the fire your campfire starts to burn away trees as well?
I can barely turn their downed logs into charcoal before those bastards are back at my walls like magic elven siege towers letting every race in the fortress defense mod jump my walls like bloody harpies
I know I could pave roads or build floors on the ground around the walls to stop those wooden vermin from reproducing but we have neither the time nor dwarfpower to do any of that along with all the other stuff we have to do to keep the fort alive in between sieges
I have to go full Catachan by mowing the lawn with flamethrowers every day or we're going to lose the surface

If there's no way to get the fire to burn trees maybe I'm just going to have to cut them all down every morning first and then light the fire to dissolve the logs
Legendary skill wood cutter here we come

Of all the ways I heard Dwarf Fortress has to kill you before I started playing, I never expected the damn trees.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2020 on: February 25, 2019, 10:24:52 am »

The FPS drop has nothing to do with the graphics, it's the temperature calculations and resulting pathing around the hot no-go zones. At least it should be, in theory.

Trees won't burn, Toady never added that. Can't mod that either, they are terrain.

If you want to get rid of logs, crematory, wood furnace or atom-smash them.

Why do you want to get rid of trees btw? They don't do anything harmful.

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: February 25, 2019, 11:25:41 am »

Hey Meph, I have a question for you, why do you have 2 differents launcher ? This one, and another for Masterwork ?

Is it complicated to combine the 2 ? => Less work for you, more fun for us !!

I'm asking because Masterwork does not use the latest version of your tileset and I have the impression that it makes you double work to update everything.

Why not do a single launcher to rule them all ?

And thanks you for your awesome work, you're awesome, long life to you !

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2022 on: February 25, 2019, 01:15:32 pm »

It's because they do different things on different versions. ^^

It's far easier to update them independently. The MasterworkDF mod doesn't have this tileset because it would mean a lot of work and there is something else I'm working on too, which might make it obsolete anyway.

Thanks and greetings from Bavaria :)

I hope to get a bugfix up today, just testing everything to be sure this time. The color offset by one number rattled me quite a bit, because Splint had weird colors as well and I thought it was because of his modded save. It might be that BlightTrain helped a lot more than he thought.

I know that at some point I removed and/or added the entry "EGGPLANT" for colors at some point. It got lost in some update, Jecova pointed it out to me long ago. And that one missing color definition token might have moved all the colors one step. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: February 25, 2019, 01:52:43 pm »

Eggplant was missing according to a number of ZM's creatures, and you never bothered/refused to put it back in because only eggplants used the color by default (however I can confirm some procedural stuff will as well - an eggplant colored weremammoth wasn't something I expected to ever see.)

Which I was as useful to the bugfixing process. I generally assume anything that breaks in my game is my own fault.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2024 on: February 25, 2019, 01:57:55 pm »

Procedual stuff shouldn't be able to use it if it's not in the raws.

I was mostly afraid that adding it back in after assigning all the colors would offset them by one, but maybe it's the other way around.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 187