Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 872753 times)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile

How does that look? (The ramps)

Better! Keep the arrow symbols but make them a little less bright. To keep them from "popping out" too much, I would give the arrows a luminosity somewhere between the current level and the one below. The gray ramps look perfect if you could somehow bring everything closer to that brightness.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Hehe, some people want darker colors, others want brighter colors. :D

I could also make them pop-out less by making the arrows themselves smaller. Underneath I still use the ramp I had previously.

Also: More plants... slowly working my way through them.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't have difficulty with the old Meph-style ramps but I agree these new ones would be easier to see.

My immediate impression however was that they resembled text symbols (down arrow  or "V") and the focus on the rest of the pack is away from such symbols and towards pictures.Does that make sense?
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

IDontNeedAUsername

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I registered just because I wanted to say thanks for making this graphics set.  It's awesome to play with my 7 year-old son and have big beautiful tiles.  He especially loves the butcher shop and wants to butcher everything.  Everything.

Also, since you asked for feedback, I noticed that beehives are missing.  They showed up as cut wood.

I also agree that the outside graphics are somewhat dark and would love to have them brightened up a bit.  If I turn my laptop's screen's brightness all the way up, it's slightly better, but would still love to have them brighter overall.

I didn't mind the old ramps, but I like the newer ones you posted very well.

The plants look great!

Thanks again for all your efforts!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I registered just because I wanted to say thanks for making this graphics set.  It's awesome to play with my 7 year-old son and have big beautiful tiles.  He especially loves the butcher shop and wants to butcher everything.  Everything.

Also, since you asked for feedback, I noticed that beehives are missing.  They showed up as cut wood.

I also agree that the outside graphics are somewhat dark and would love to have them brightened up a bit.  If I turn my laptop's screen's brightness all the way up, it's slightly better, but would still love to have them brighter overall.

I didn't mind the old ramps, but I like the newer ones you posted very well.

The plants look great!

Thanks again for all your efforts!
Thank you so much for that post :)

And I fixed the Beehives:
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

gustavoghe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Meph, this looks wonderfull. Is there a way to install the set using PYLNP? It would be great!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Hey Meph, this looks wonderfull. Is there a way to install the set using PYLNP? It would be great!
I say the same as I said to PeridexisErrant and Jecowa: Once its done, yes please. :) But I'm still working on it. Plants, vermin, creatures, corpses... all still missing.

gustavoghe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I say the same as I said to PeridexisErrant and Jecowa: Once its done, yes please. :) But I'm still working on it. Plants, vermin, creatures, corpses... all still missing.

Ops, i didn realize that. Well, I hope you keep doing this, its a great titleset, the plants you just posted look wonderfull, as all the rest.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

and another line of plants...

Chickpeas, chicory, eggplants, garden cress, garlic, spiked melons, celery, musk melons, onions, parsnips, peanuts, peppers, potatoes, red beans, ruhbarb, spinach, squash...

Testing them ingame is super slow, because you need to wait for the GROWTH_PRINTS to show... which means runnings at least 1 ingame year. :/

Edit: And plants in their native area:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:04:10 pm by Meph »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile

Wow, it's really interesting how this is coming together. The combination of photo-realistic tiles and black outlines reminds me of the Absurd NetHack tileset. Good job pulling together all of these tiles into something consistent-looking.

This is far, far too dark though. The tiles look perfect in the tileset but they're very hard to see in the screenshot. The pepper plant in particular is exactly the same color as the background. The issue might be that the game is colorizing everything. If you colorize tiles white they'll appear exactly as they do in your tileset.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 11:13:36 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

When you draw the plants, do you keep the plant and fruits on separate layers?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Wow, it's really interesting how this is coming together. The combination of photo-realistic tiles and black outlines reminds me of the Absurd NetHack tileset. Good job pulling together all of these tiles into something consistent-looking.

This is far, far too dark though. The tiles look perfect in the tileset but they're very hard to see in the screenshot. The pepper plant in particular is exactly the same color as the background. The issue might be that the game is colorizing everything. If you colorize tiles white they'll appear exactly as they do in your tileset.
I can easily make it brighter by using a different green color in the color scheme. I really like the dark theme, but yes, several people have said that its too dark for them.

I hoped that plants would blend into the background a bit on the surface, because the surface is littered with them, and making bright, pop-up tiles for them would look very distracting. The green plants are very visible on the farmplots and stockpiles though. :)

I'm surprised you think its consistent looking :D I used different techniques for them, anything from pixel art, to photoshop brushes, to simple, downscaled photos of plants. I mean... there is this perfect, smooth cabbage. Right below it, a pixel-pepper. And two to the right of the cabbage is a horrible frankenstein plant made from photoshop brushes, that came out looking like a tiny palm tree.

When you draw the plants, do you keep the plant and fruits on separate layers?
No. So far I've barely made any plants with fruits, and I still have the original plants, without fruits, in another file.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Update 1.1 is done. Now with 1000% more plants!

In short I did the following things:
 - All 100+ plants have sprites now.
 - All vermin have proper graphics, some of them animated!
 - Tweaks and fixes according to user feedback.
 - Map tileset.
 - Updated TWBT, fixing TWBT-related crashes.

PLANTS!

- Added plants. All of them.
 - Added plant growths. All of them.

Spoiler: Plants ingame (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Plant Legend (click to show/hide)

Yes, I'm aware that I used a few icons several times, for example all the wheats share a graphic, or the four types of yams. I did that for three reasons:
1. Less work.
2. Easier for the player. Less symbols to remember/figure out.
3. More space for cooler TWBT stuff, because I'm limited to 256 plant icons. I saved 34 spaces due to using tiles several times.

TWEAKS AND FIXES!

- Fixed elven archers, crossbowmen and blowgunners.
 - Fixed human archers, crossbowmen and blowgunners.
 - Fixed goblin archers, crossbowmen and blowgunners.
 - Fixed kobold archers, crossbowmen and blowgunners.
 - Fixed bins.
 - Fixed constructed bee hives.
 - Fixed trap stops.
 - Fixed eggs in nestboxes. (well... while testing I noticed that boulders now look like eggs. Guess it can be only one: Either eggs look like boulders in the nestbox, or boulders look like eggs while being carried around.)
 - Fixed build bookcases. (kinda. They at least show something, but TWBT doesnt allow them to be overwritten?)
 - Fixed "children playing make-believe", added animation.

- Made stockpiles brighter.
 - Made water/magma brighter.
 - Made rocks/inorganics brighter.
 - Made surface grass slightly brighter.
 - Made ramps a lot clearer.

- Added 3 new tiles for smoke.
 - Added new tile for trapparts/mechanism. Look like 3 interlocking gears now.

- Fixed digging designation numbers. (appeared as solid black tiles)
 - Fixed furniture designations. (appeared as solid black tiles)
 - Fixed "Sleeping Indicator", shows sign with Zzz... instead of just a normal letter.

VERMIN-TIDE!

- Added 37 new graphics for vermin.
 - Added several animated creatures. Small fish breathe/swim; small birds flap their wings; worms wiggle; rats run... and dogs wag their tails. :)

- Added 3 new tiles mined rocks, which creates a sorta-animation for mining.

I also added someone else I made to the mix:

A tileset exclusively used to portrait nice worldmaps. All characters are improved to show hills, grasses, forests, towns and hamlets, necromancer towers and goblin pits. Unfortunately a lot of text character like ",", ".", "V", "0", "I" and "n" are replaced too, which means that this tileset is only for maps!

I formerly released it as a stand-alone tileset, but I think I might as well put it in here, considering that this is the place for all my graphic content.

Spoiler: Example map 32x32 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example map 24x24 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example map 16x16 (click to show/hide)

Credits:
I use the text characters from Dragondeplatinos Dawnfortress set, it was the nicest 32x32 text I could find.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE 1000+ DOWNLOADS!!! :)

PS: If you like the content I create, consider giving it a boost on Patreon.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:18:53 pm by Meph »

IDontNeedAUsername

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Thanks!  Downloaded and cannot wait to check this out - but it might not be till later this week.  However, I will report back!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Updated the barebones, linux and mac versions too. :) See first post for downloads.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 187