Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 871901 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V2.4 - 32x - 44.07 - Updated 31th March
« Reply #990 on: April 21, 2018, 11:31:49 am »

Would chaning overrides and graphics break a save? I assume so but thought I would ask.
the override file is in the data folder, changing it will affect all saves. It won't "break" them, but you get the changes you made on all your forts.

Graphics... what do you mean by that? The tilesets? or creature sprites?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 21, 2018, 11:57:33 am »

I meant the creature sprites. Not really sure of the terminology, been using a custom LNP setup so was meaning the stuff in the raw/graphics folder (which I assume is the creature sprites) I also assume the stuff in the data/art folder is the tilesets, but again, I'm not really sure on terminology or the specifics of how graphics/tilesets really work. I am using two different tilesets in two different forts at the moment and have an install for each. Was kind of wondering if I could just hot swap them on the same install easily.

It's been interesting inferring it all by reverse engineering how the stuff is installed and implemented though. It looks like the overrides just refer to the art folder, how do creature sprites etc get added to the game correctly, if it is not too labourious an aswer? I am probably missing something on the wiki.

I doubt I really understand things correctly. It has made me interested in editing raws or even potentially making my own tileset though.

It impressive the ammount of effort you have put into your pack, I am greatly enjoying it. Thanks for having the patience to answer my questions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:04:45 pm by Llamageddon »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #992 on: April 21, 2018, 12:57:19 pm »

It looks like the overrides just refer to the art folder
... no. ^^ The override tiles are in the art folder, but they refer very specifically to files in the raws and to single, individual lines in those. Just moving a tool in ITEM_TOOL one item up would break all tool graphics. As an example.

It's possible to change creature sprites, but because DF is DF, the vermin and creature corpses don't use the files from raw/graphics, instead those take from data/art. It's a mess.

Overall I wouldn't recommend altering anything without knowing how exactly things work. I don't really have the time to explain everything atm, but the wiki and the TWBT thread are pretty interesting reads.

Creature sprites are added through the text files in raw/graphics. More info http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Graphic_set and here http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_texture_token
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Llamageddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 21, 2018, 01:58:00 pm »

Thanks, just what I was looking for, will have a read.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 22, 2018, 01:43:28 am »

After not having played DF in about 7 years, I thought I'd give it another go. Your pack looked pretty good and already came with everything so I thought I'd try that. I got through generating a world and starting an adventure mode game, which worked fine initially, but now the graphics will screw up after walking about 20 paces. The game will freeze for a second, and then it'll look like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It doesn't happen if I walk around in circles, so presumably it's when something loads. I tried changing the multilevel/unit transparency/redraw settings, along with changing the tileset and fonts, but none of those seemed to help. If I save the game and reload it, it's back to normal, but will then usually screw up again, though I tried it again just now and though it still pauses, the graphics are staying as they should (for now). Huh. Anyway, any idea what could cause this and/or how I could fix it?

Edit: I'm having the same issue with the 44.05 pack
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:06:25 am by LizardKing »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #995 on: April 22, 2018, 07:51:28 am »

redraw_all 1 should fix artefacts like that, but is prone to crashing.

It all comes down to the dfhack plugin TWBT, which is not really optimized for adv-mode. A lot of the adv-mode specific graphics do not offer overrides, so tileset authors like myself can't make individual graphics for them. In fact, I personally only recommend this set for fort-mode, due to the heavy TWBT usage.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 22, 2018, 08:54:47 am »

It all comes down to the dfhack plugin TWBT, which is not really optimized for adv-mode. A lot of the adv-mode specific graphics do not offer overrides, so tileset authors like myself can't make individual graphics for them. In fact, I personally only recommend this set for fort-mode, due to the heavy TWBT usage.

Ah, fair enough. Guess I'll look around some more then. Thanks :)

Aelforth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 23, 2018, 03:02:12 am »

is Lignite supposed to have the same image when its mined (the dropped item) as the unmined tile? Marble seems to be the same way for me. Using v2.3 barebones on a fresh install, but the same issue appears to occur with the v2.4 tileset launcher without changing anything.

edit: image
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:06:17 am by Aelforth »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 23, 2018, 04:29:49 am »

ever since switching to 64 bit DF, i haven't had any such crash and i usually have redraw_all 1. well... one crash and that was after 3 ingame years without a pause.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #999 on: April 23, 2018, 07:59:58 am »

Aelforth, nope, they should have their own icons.

Pvt. Pirate, that's good to know. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1000 on: April 23, 2018, 02:12:09 pm »

Due to a thunderstorm I have a free day tomorrow. So lets do this. I'll try to collect all the issues and proposed fixes and make an update tomorrow. I hope I get everything done.

Aelforth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 23, 2018, 06:21:11 pm »

managed to resolve the issue. Something weird happened to the texture overlays (I think) to my downloaded copy of the 2.4 texturepack launcher.. a fresh download fixed everything right up. Love the new work Meph (albeit I do use the old stone floor textures.. I'm too ingrained in the old ways to deal with my whole fort being green until I get around to smoothing it!). Everything looks fantastic.

edit: I don't know much about overrides, but I'm planning on splitting up the entity_default file into single files per entity kind of like how MWDF does so I can better control things for an overhaul type mod. If I do that after installing the texturepack so that everything has the right tags are there any issues to watch out for? Preliminary tests seem to work just fine.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:26:43 pm by Aelforth »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1002 on: April 24, 2018, 03:03:41 am »

managed to resolve the issue. Something weird happened to the texture overlays (I think) to my downloaded copy of the 2.4 texturepack launcher.. a fresh download fixed everything right up. Love the new work Meph (albeit I do use the old stone floor textures.. I'm too ingrained in the old ways to deal with my whole fort being green until I get around to smoothing it!). Everything looks fantastic.

edit: I don't know much about overrides, but I'm planning on splitting up the entity_default file into single files per entity kind of like how MWDF does so I can better control things for an overhaul type mod. If I do that after installing the texturepack so that everything has the right tags are there any issues to watch out for? Preliminary tests seem to work just fine.
The entity default is already split up, the very same way Masterwork does.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1003 on: April 24, 2018, 03:39:08 am »

Ok, here we go. Started with the update, read through the last 17 pages of the thread and collected all issues.

db48x

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 24, 2018, 04:34:20 am »

I saw the same thing with chalk in a game I started on version 2.3. It went away when I downloaded 2.4, so I figured it had been fixed.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 187