Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 864711 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:10:16 pm »

Hey guys,

Since I have been far from diligent at posting proper credits for the open-source or free-to-use creative commons sprites I've used in the set, and I don't want this to reflect negatively on Toady One, I've decided to take this tileset down. I had a blast making it and I hope you had some fun playing with it, but considering that it will be replaced by the much better Steam release anyway, I don't feel like it's worth to disentangle and identify exactly where I got which sprite from and by which author. It's been 5 years and over 10.000 variations of sprites.

I've sourced the sprites from websites like https://opengameart.org/ or https://www.spriters-resource.com/ , using sprites for non-commercial use; or asked artists on deviantart and other sites directly, while the initial idea of this tileset was to give life to abandoned sprites by Obsidian Soul and Dibujor. Both started, then stopped working on, a 24x to 32x tileset.

I talked with Dibujor via email about it and I won't quote a private conversation, but he was more than happy to see the sprites being used by players. Obsidian Soul had this to say:
Very late to the party, but Meph, I just want to say this is gorgeous. THANK YOU for using my abandoned tiles and adapting them to a complete set. It's exactly like what I would have wanted them to be. ^^

My only complaint at the moment is your base grass tile. The leaves are too long and coily and makes the exteriors noisy. More like overgrown vines rather than grasslands. Though they'd do well as wormy tendrils or even pigtails. Switching tree leaves and grass might also work. Other than that, I love everything in this. <3

Anyhow... hope you are all doing well;
so long,
Meph
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 05:58:01 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, wow. I got the first download.

Meph, are you okay with your Meph Tileset being bundled with Lazy Newb Packs?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:33:34 pm by jecowa »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Not yet. Not because I wouldn't want it on those packs, but because it's not finished. This is a first release to get more play-testers, but I plan to work on it more. I'll probably update it fairly regularly in the near future. But I can let you know once I consider it "finished".
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks Great Meph
Going to Download As soon as I get home!
And I'm very surprised that you're already almost completely done! :P :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:05:06 pm by Wyrdean »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thank Utkonos for that, he is responsible for throwing 750x5 creatures sprites my way. ;)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, this is definitely worth trying! Thanks for all the work!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not yet. Not because I wouldn't want it on those packs, but because it's not finished. This is a first release to get more play-testers, but I plan to work on it more. I'll probably update it fairly regularly in the near future. But I can let you know once I consider it "finished".

Thank you, that sounds good.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

PTW - thanks for your work Meph!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

cludgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome work Meph! The tileset is supreme.

Downloaded and ran the game and within 2 seconds the screen flashed, the game minimized to the toolbar, and i got an alert that my graphics driver had crashed but recovered. Any thoughts?

Edit: Second run it seems to be holding up ok. Maybe a fluke? Damn the tileset looks nice in the wild.
Edit 2: Ran three adventurers through quickly. Crashed after the third.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:47:29 pm by cludgo »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

PTW - I look forward to including a vanilla version in my pack once it's finished :D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile

Wow, when did you start working on this, because it is beautiful. I think I found my new texture pack.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Del1m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Elf crossbowmen just show up as black/grey squares, can get pretty confusing in a fight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Elf crossbowmen just show up as black/grey squares, can get pretty confusing in a fight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Perfect, thank you.

Awesome work Meph! The tileset is supreme.

Downloaded and ran the game and within 2 seconds the screen flashed, the game minimized to the toolbar, and i got an alert that my graphics driver had crashed but recovered. Any thoughts?

Edit: Second run it seems to be holding up ok. Maybe a fluke? Damn the tileset looks nice in the wild.
Edit 2: Ran three adventurers through quickly. Crashed after the third.

TWBT dislikes adventure mode because of something with the travel-map. Mifki has to update a few things. No idea about the first thing.

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see the bundled DF, Tileset and Utilities are for Windows DF. Could you give me some pointers on what I would have to do to use the 32x Tileset in Linux DF please?

I should add I am a new player but I do understand why folks are still using 43.03 rather than 43.05 (64-bit) at the moment.

EDIT : I have stumbled across the reply by jecowa to the same question in the reddit (in your own thread there) so I will give that a go and report back if I have any specific issues. Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:54:10 am by DanielCoffey »
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

I should add I am a new player but I do understand why folks are still using 43.03 rather than 43.05 (64-bit) at the moment.
Dwarf Fortress is highly configurable, but there are a suite of memory-hacking tools that white-hat their way into the game engine to allow vastly expanded features.  The Meph Tileset uses one of those tools to assign distinct icons to items that would otherwise look identical in game.  There have been technical issues slowing down the latest update of the memory-hacking tools, and the last version for which everything works is 0.43.03.

There's nothing wrong or especially unstable with DF 0.43.05 itself; the problem is just that tools like DFHack and Dwarf Therapist aren't available for it yet.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 187