Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 866420 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V4.3 (32x32) - 44.12 - updated 19th Sep - Variety & Boneset
« Reply #1785 on: September 27, 2018, 07:29:02 am »

Material specific sprites work for buildings too. :)

Wooden campfire on the left, stone campfire on the right.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V4.3 (32x32) - 44.12 - updated 19th Sep - Variety & Boneset
« Reply #1786 on: September 27, 2018, 08:13:01 am »

UPDATE!

Download: Meph Tileset V4.4
You can support the tileset on Patreon or as a one-time donation on Paypal.

A lot of misc improvements in this update. Everything still there as before, but better. A few small additions here and there too. A lot of pixel errors fixed, shifted sprites, that sort of thing. So, lets start:

Saguaros, which are giant cactii, usually look like trees in DF. No more:

Giant cavern shrooms now have more unique sprites, especially the red blood thorn and the blue nethercap:

Designations were often mentioned as a thing that should be improved:

Even woodcutters got a new sprite for felling-trees:

While checking designations, I noticed that carving/constructing tracks (while uncarved/unfinished) show no overrides, so I made a set of "tracks in construction":

Ammo always defaulted to one type while in flight... no more, now you get unique sprites for each ammo type in use. The first is the default/no-overrides, which are also used when several creatures stand on the same spot...

The siege engines got a serious upgrade... there were plenty of TWBT bugs when a ballista is loaded, reverting overrides. All fixed/improved:

I also added a new workshop (optional, tied to the usual button), the campfire. I wanted to add it when I introduced the Crematory, but I didn't find the time back then. Behold, a wooden and a stone campfire, which use fuel or wood to start actual fires ingame. Great for cleaning items, or killing your FPS by accidentally (or intentionally) setting fire to the surface:

In addition to the new sprites, I also added 3 new embark profiles:
 - Miners/Woodcutter: 6 picks and miners, 1 axe and woodcutter, with food and drinks. Embark, quickly dig your fort and prepare everything nicely, then retire it, to reclaim it with your proper embark group.
 - Military: 7 fighters, ready to pick up a fort that was overrun, for example by zombies in evil regions.
 - Nobles: 7 useless dwarves with social-skills, their pet peacock and some random stuff. No pick, no anvil. Can they survive?

I also updated the Vordak sprites to 1.1. He has done a lot of work on furniture and constructions too, I'm considering porting those changes to the main set.

Hope you enjoy the update. Still looking for saves to check. ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:16:47 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

So... Splint modded in wooden bars to make a fence in his community fort. I could do that too.

Floor bars, vertical bars, wooden bars aka planks (item).

It does make perfect sense, why should bars only be made of metal? Of course the wooden bars would be flameable, but otherwise they work just like the metal ones. :)

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Noticed that in the file _Meph_items.png all items all sprites now have transparency (88%) - does it make any sense or just a mistake?

Also:
1) _MDF_furniture-bg.png - old name, main&-bg is _Meph_furniture.
2) _Meph_trees-bg.png - tiles #172,187 is not correspond to main file. Tiles #172, 187 must be is white - if I understand correctly how TWBT works.
3) _Meph_constructions-top.png - tile #5 is 1 pixel shifted to right.

Upd. I understand correctly? - color of  barrel does not depend on the material?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:22:16 pm by Vordak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Noticed that in the file _Meph_items.png all items all sprites now have transparency (88%) - does it make any sense or just a mistake?

Also:
1) _MDF_furniture-bg.png - old name, main&-bg is _Meph_furniture.
2) _Meph_trees-bg.png - tiles #172,187 is not correspond to main file. Tiles #172, 187 must be is white - if I understand correctly how TWBT works.
3) _Meph_constructions-top.png - tile #5 is 1 pixel shifted to right.

Upd. I understand correctly? - color of  barrel does not depend on the material?
The transparency is because I wanted to test something with background colors, blood spatters in particular. Didn't work, the transparency didn't make any difference.

1. Thanks. Fixed.
2. Correct, should probably be white. Fixed. Doesn't matter though in this case, since the sprites above it are not transparent. You don't see the background color anyway.
3. Thanks. Fixed. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

First try at roads... for all the material sets, sometimes even two for boulder (rough X road) and block (X road) versions. 7 of them are Vordaks alternate floor sprites, which I wanted to show off in the main tileset too. :)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:23:24 pm by Meph »

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First try at roads... for all the material sets, sometimes even two for boulder (rough X road) and block (X road) versions. 7 of them are Vordaks alternate floor sprites, which I wanted to show off in the main tileset too. :)
It seems to me expedient to make for roads only two sprites (one to each type), which will always be of the same colors, without any reference to the material.
Moreover, obtaining a large floor area of expensive material by the method of building roads with low cost is not fair.
Such diversity only brings confusion.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I'll try to make them more even/less colorful.

Trying out a few new designs... what about sandstone = ancient egypt?

Edit: Better?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:57:09 am by Meph »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

i like the egyptian design, in forms etc, but the symbols disturb the narrative. - they should be neither directly connected to the scriptures of egyptian culture or anything - they will be seen in many places in adventure mode and that could be quite disturbing for the atmosphere.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Floors from yesterday were better, although the bone one doesn't look that great. Maybe add another layer to turn the blood red down some. Useful floor/road however. The sand stone should probably be made of slabs, something like the bottom 6th one. As for the roads being abused as cheap floors, if people want to cheat, they already have all the tools they need with dfhack, of course you could add a menu to choose a few roads to the launcher if you were worried about it.

Can you try to make a bone one which is just a few bones? Like how dog bone treats are made. I feel like a road of bones would be an artwork your dwarves would put a little effort into to pick the right bones, they aren't cannibals after all. Maybe they just use arms and legs after so many deaths they have enough to build roads. They could pour it in concrete and make patterns somewhat like the top right one, right now it just looks like a corpse was thrown on the ground or in a pile.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Gonna have to agree, after staring for a bit. The bone one seems a bit overly busy, like the (original? haven't looked to see if it was changed,) rose gold one. Same for the floor, so maybe bones in some sort of plaster look would work? Like the bone grates, but filled in with a grey plaster substance.

I'd say nix the eye for the sandstone set, that's the most stand-out aspect that doesn't fit given its potential abundance. Dunno what would be the best replacement, but it doesn't look very end-cap/column like all the same.

thetj

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

The file " _MDF_furniture-bg.png " was not renamed to " _Meph_furniture-bg.png " after the last update, causing the transparency problem with furniture as far as I can tell

Durian Hohlades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

looks pretty neat <3

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile

Gonna have to agree, after staring for a bit. The bone one seems a bit overly busy
I agree, but it also really hurts to look at (don't know if that's just me but it legitimately hurts my eyes)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Floors from yesterday were better...

For the most part, I agree. In particular, the coral pink floor that is 2nd to last (bottom row) is definitely worse than before. It is far too busy and the pattern is too small and irregular. It's actually hard on my eyes. The pattern for the first version seemed right. Though, perhaps the color (and/or pattern) could be adjusted?

In general, I do not like how the color and/or brightness appears watered-down on some of these in the 2nd version. Though, I suppose the colors were a bit too bright in the first version for certain floors, the last three floors especially. But, in particular, I'd prefer if the 3rd to last (bottom row) should be at least slightly bluish.

Actually... The 2nd version of floors #8 and #9 in the bottom row (5'th and 6'th from last) do look better. And I don't mind #4 (2nd version) in the bottom row at all. (That is, either version works.) Though, while I understand the appeal of simplicity in the 2nd version of #4 in the top row and while I don't mind it, I think I still prefer the 1st version.

For the rest, version 1 is definitely a better choice to me.

In order to visualize what I'm suggesting I played around with (copy'n paste + hue & brightness) these in Paint a bit. Perhaps something like this?

It seems to me expedient to make for roads only two sprites (one to each type), which will always be of the same colors, without any reference to the material.

It may be more expedient that way. But (1) he already made all this variety and (2) floors are much more interesting this way. I like it.

i like the egyptian design, in forms etc, but the symbols disturb the narrative. - they should be neither directly connected to the scriptures of egyptian culture or anything - they will be seen in many places in adventure mode and that could be quite disturbing for the atmosphere.
I'd say nix the eye for the sandstone set, that's the most stand-out aspect that doesn't fit given its potential abundance.

Agreed. The overall design is good, but the easily-recognizable Eye of Horus needs to go.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:53:47 pm by Thundercraft »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 187