Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 866237 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - updated 07th March by Novaris
« Reply #2700 on: March 30, 2021, 02:46:21 am »

Mh... Maybe I'll do some tests. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2701 on: March 30, 2021, 06:28:10 pm »

Either it's my perception after working with the Steam version for so long, or the edges just look rougher in 64x64. Like super-high res grass with a streight cut to super-high res rock or water.

Open in a new tab, warning, there is zoom. A few rooms, trade depot, grass, plants, saplings...  https://i.imgur.com/ox4OhAG.png

Sprite test at 128, 64, 32 and 16 pixels. It remains quite readable.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 06:38:05 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: March 30, 2021, 07:34:41 pm »

Looks pretty damn good to me. Of those tests I think the 64 looks nicest, but I'm chalking that up to personal preference. Plenty of detail without looking smushed.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2703 on: March 31, 2021, 05:17:24 am »

I hope that 64x looks best, since that's the original size. ;) The 128 is 2x zoom, the 32 and 16 versions are 1/2 and 1/4 zoom.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: March 31, 2021, 08:37:58 am »

I love the 64x64 although at this scale the properties of objects need to come into play as well. For example the chest in the former screenshot is nearly as high as the bookcase and the all "stand" at the fringe of the tile. They could also be a little offset so a dwarf could "stand" in front of them. For smaller tilesets this is not needed as you want to "see" what the object is but the larger it gets the more proportions are important imo.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2705 on: March 31, 2021, 11:53:21 am »

Getting the proportions right is one of the reasons I might be tempted to do this, especially for very small items. Maybe go with a 48x48 size for most things, so that large objects can use the full 64x64, while tiny objects can be 16x16 or smaller.

For example in the screenshot above the saplings are 64x64, while I kept the plants in their original size from the current tileset. The result are small trees the size of dwarves, while plants are 2x smaller than before.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: April 02, 2021, 01:00:36 pm »

My dwarf was building something mysterious and I saw an icon flashing there that I hadn't seen before. While looking it up, I noticed a problem with the icon and checked to see if there were other similar problems. Issue reports:

Tile 40 of Meph_32.png: This needs to be changed to a honey bee / bumble bee graphic to match the /raw/objects/ and the -top version of the file.

Tile 95 of _Meph_items-top.png (adamantine boulder): This needs to be deleted (still shows a potion bottle from the pre-2.7 versions).

Tiles 240 & 241 of _Meph_furniture-top.png (armor stand & weapon rack): These need to be swapped to match its bottom tilesheet and the overrides.txt file.

_Meph_constructions.png and _Meph_constructions-top.png:
  • On the Wood stairs, tile 46 says it's UpDown, but it looks like maybe it is supposed to be a Down stairs. Tile 45 looks more like an UpDown stairs, so maybe these two should be swapped.
  • On the Marble stairs, I think tiles 174 and 175 (UpDown and Up) need to be swapped.
  • And maybe the Mushroom Tree Wood stairs on tiles 61 and 62 could use some work. Remove the part of the stairs on 61 that head upwards so it looks more like a downstairs. Then maybe remove the framing stuff from the -top layer of those two tiles.
  • There's no overrides definitions for tiles 176-191, but guessing that's intentional.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: April 02, 2021, 04:56:00 pm »

Tile 40 is evil gras, changing this to a honey bee would look strange I would think :) also, there is already a honey bee tile, Meph_32.png tile 78. I will however delete the -top "ghost bee" :)

Tile 95 is confirmed. I can simply delete the overlay in the next release.

Tiel 240 and 241 are ok for my unpack in both -top, normal and -bg files. Also overrides say glass armor stand 240 which is the left graphics and thats a armor stand, I dont see the mistake?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: April 02, 2021, 06:17:19 pm »

Deleting the extra bee on the -top layer was correct move. I see the bee was switched to tile 78 which has its tile there now.

And for the armor stands and weapon racks, I had an old version of the furniture-top.png file that had them reversed.
Edit: Actually, it is the Vordok version that had them reversed.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:57:34 pm by jecowa »

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: April 02, 2021, 06:40:55 pm »

EDIT: And its up.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:00:35 pm by Novaris »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: April 03, 2021, 01:58:02 pm »

I'm trying to figure out why Fungiwood is teal/blue. It's supposed to be lemon/yellow. Not sure if it's intentional or if it was mistakenly copied from the teal spore cap tree. I normally embark with fungiwood because I like the yellow color. I think it must be a mistake, because why would we need two types of teal cave tree? More variety is better.

Edit: I think I just have an old version of this file.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 04:10:42 pm by jecowa »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: April 07, 2021, 12:05:49 am »

I've been analyzing Metal Colors.

Nickel and Zinc both use blue-ish foreground colors and light gray as a background color. Even though Zinc and Nickel are silver-colored, the blue/gray combos match the Vanilla versions of these ores. What's kind of odd, though, is that Tin does not follow this format. Instead of using a blue-ish color with light gray, it uses an off-white with a light gray. The color identifier of Tin is only 2 off from that of Nickel. Perhaps Tin was intended to be the same color as Nickel?

I'm guessing Pig Iron is purposefully light purple as a joke.

Electrum is lime. If that's a joke, I'm not getting it. I'm changing it to Ochre (dark orange) unless there's a reason for lime.

In vanilla, Fine Pewter is as white as possible and has "silver" listed as its color. In Meph it's dark tan. I'm going to bump it up by 2 to 140 Ecru unless someone has a better idea.

Trifle Pewter is set as Ecru (maybe he got the two pewters mixed up?). Trifle Pewter has a state color of Taupe Gray. Maybe it should be set to that? I'll set it to 138 Dark Tan.

In vanilla, Lay Pewter is kinda blue-ish (though it has a state color of white), but it is Flax-colored in Meph. It looks like some types of Pewter are Flax-colored, so this might be intentional.

Lead is set to 201 (Dark Taupe), but it's state color is Taupe Gray, so I'm guessing 202 was intended here.

Nickel Silver is a light blue, but in vanilla it's as white as possible with a silver state color. Probably intentional, though, since nickel is also blue, and nickel silver is mostly nickel.

Billon's state color is Pale Brown, but Meph has it down as Tan. This is probably an intended adjustment.

Stirling Silver is probably not supposed to be violet. This is only 1 off from white, so white was probably intended here.

Black bronze is down as being Tan. I think that's much too bright for Black Bronze. It's only 1 off from Dark Taupe, which is probably the intended value.

Rose gold is down as Pale Chestnut. I'm going to increase it by 1 to Pale Pink.

Bismuth is down as a dark blue. Vanilla has it as very purple. It looks like real life Bismuth is kind of rainbow colored. I don't know. I'm going to set it to its state color of Heliotrope unless maybe someone has another idea.

Bismuth Bronze is a dark green, but it's yellow in vanilla with a state color of Tan. There's nothing adjacent to Dark Olive that would appear to be the intended value. I guess I'll set it to the state color of Tan. Maybe it should be more yellow, but probably not more yellow than Gold.

Stay tuned for next color analysis in which I review Gem Colors. There are so many Gems in this game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2712 on: April 07, 2021, 02:16:33 am »

That's not right. They should all be very close to their original colors. Between tileset updates, DF updates, twbt updates and different people updating different versions, the TWBT color setup must have broken, which is as easy as adding a single object with the COLOR token in DESCRIPTOR_COLOR.

Ingame it mostly looks fine, except for the stark purple/lime of electrum and sterling silver.

It looks like real life Bismuth is kind of rainbow colored.
If I add a specific bar sprite just for bismuth and use the _top.png, I could give it a preset coloration that looks full on rainbow. ;)

I just checked, bismuth bar in RL:

Bismuth crystals are rainbow colored:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 02:20:21 am by Meph »

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: April 07, 2021, 06:00:08 am »

So does the current version of the tileset use the correct color file or did I screw something up?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: April 07, 2021, 07:46:52 am »

Maybe you were using the DF v0.34.11 version of descriptor_color_stamdard? DF v0.40 added 3 new colors which could possibly explain why some of your numbers seemed to be fine, some seemed to be off by 1, and some seemed to be off by 2.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 187