Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megaton Rainfall - Superman Simulator. Kinda.  (Read 2038 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Megaton Rainfall - Superman Simulator. Kinda.
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:05:14 am »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/430210/Megaton_Rainfall/

You play as an invincible flying dude with hilariously destructive blasts, and your goal is to save humanity by blowing up attacking alien invaders that are terrorizing cities around the world.

Unless there are unlocks that I've missed, you get a couple different kinds of moves, but not a -ridiculous- amount of them.  Your basic attack is a little hadouken blast that's still powerful enough to blow up buildings.  Shortly after that you get a kamehameha that is so powerful if you hit a city with it it's pretty much game over.  Shortly after that you gain the ability to fly SO FAST you can leave the planet and not only visit other star systems, but whole other galaxies.

Cool stuff included:  Terrain deformation.  Procedural generation of cities.  A pretty mostly kinda accurate representation of -the entire earth-, with a buncha cities that include pertinent landmarks, like the Taj Mahal, Big Ben and Parliament in London, and all that crazy crap in Dubai.  Seamless open world nonsense at a hilarious scale - fly around a city, land on the ground, then fly up into the sky, into space, through the rings of Saturn and out into other star systems.  Buildings are inexplicably detailed enough to have like, floors and people and furniture in them, for when they are inevitably blown up.  Non-Earth planets, despite mostly being just scaled up Mass Effect 1 planets, do have some detail to them.  For instance, Saturn has its dust rings, Mercury is so hot the heat-wavey effect is everywhere there, and (in a Nerdcubed video) there are binary star systems, which DO have weird binary star sun nonsense that you can look up at from the surface of other alien planets circling said binary stars.

There's decent enemy variety, though unfortunately the game seems to want to focus on precision than blowing the hell out of crap with your ridiculous god-powers - enemies have weakspots that you generally want to go for instead of just vomiting a thousand death-blasts on them, and the like.  A lot of them seem to be designed to either make it challenging to target or explicitly countered by some powerup, which is kinda lame I guses.

Overall, though, yeah.  Pretty neato.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Megaton Rainfall - Superman Simulator. Kinda.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:11:38 am »

Wow, that looks pretty bad ass. But is gameplay pretty one note once the novelty of flying around wears off?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:55:18 pm »

I dunno, I don't think so, but I kinda just burned through it in my lust to unlock radical new powers, so I beat it really fast.  i think if you ignore missions and just muck about with your radical god powers and fly around space just checking shit out, the mileage you get out of the game might vary.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 02:54:17 pm »

Very solid reviews on Steam. This one goes on my wishlist until I find it in an acceptable sale.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 03:05:21 pm »

Very solid reviews on Steam. This one goes on my wishlist until I find it in an acceptable sale.

same

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 03:38:11 pm »

I kind of wish the terrain deformation and city destruction was persistent, but I'm guessing it'd be impossible with the kind of requirements that'd entail...

Mostly so, at the end, you can look at the planet you "saved", and realize that you're the one responsible for turning it into a giant pockmarked lump of slag.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 03:39:48 pm »

Yeah after reading the reviews I'm going to wishlist it as well. It's one of those games where people talk about it as a technical accomplishment as much as they do its gameplay. They said the game is fully released already but may add some cute features like a villain mode. So I'd be happy to pick this up on sale. $15 isn't too steep at all, but for what I will probably play a couple hours of and forget about, it's a little pricey.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 06:53:52 pm »

I have this for Playstation VR. It is a pretty good game, and awesome to play in VR. First other solar system I visited was a binary, loved the VR imagery of standing on a plant surface and looking up at them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 09:02:19 am »

I picked it up. It was a good, if extremely short, experience. At 3 hours I've completed all of the stages and found all of the xenospheres. Is there aught else to do?